Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorter range than expected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, newbie 2022 Model 3 owner here. We always have our M3 fully charged by morning the next day. Full charge is 80% (approx 280 miles) for daily driving. My wife did a lot of driving today (mostly freeway and some city) and when she was all done, I looked at the Tesla App and I saw her battery was down to 20% (60 miles). I google mapped her routes and total mileage driven was approximately 157 miles.

Is this normal drain? I expected to be more battery percentage left, only driving 157 total miles. I know there are other factors that can lead to more drain but is this normal? No hills mostly flat freeway and city streets. Wifey drives 70-75MPH. The car is only 6 months old.

Thank you for help if there is an issue or its just normal.

Thank you. It’s good to know my M3 range is normal.

And thank you as well. Just some appreciation for sticking with your original post, reading all the responses and — what’s more — thanking people for taking the time to respond. As a guy who enjoys reading a continuous story, written from beginning to end, I hate it when folks get on here and post-and-bail! I understand it sometimes, because many of them get subjected to mountains of abuse. But I still hate it.

Upvote 0
I get better than EPA rated range when I drive conservatively and am paying attention (usually with the energy graph open). Of course, not on the thruway at 75mph.

But usually I completely ignore efficiency and just drive. The car is so fun to drive. It takes a road trip or a LOT of local driving to completely exhaust my range. I charge to 65%, bumping it up a bit if I know I'll have extra driving tomorrow.

@LuckyRT13 - hopefully your wife's day of driving was more the exception than the rule... but it sounds like she still had enough range for the drive.

Reactions: LuckyRT13
Upvote 1
I get better than EPA rated range when I drive conservatively and am paying attention (usually with the energy graph open). Of course, not on the thruway at 75mph.

But usually I completely ignore efficiency and just drive. The car is so fun to drive. It takes a road trip or a LOT of local driving to completely exhaust my range. I charge to 65%, bumping it up a bit if I know I'll have extra driving tomorrow.

@LuckyRT13 - hopefully your wife's day of driving was more the exception than the rule... but it sounds like she still had enough range for the drive.
Yes, just still getting used to the switch to an EV. Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0