Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drumroll for $150 oil is getting louder: Christophe Barraud on Twitter

For reference: $150 Brent = $4.50+ national average = $5.00+ premium national average = $5.50 to $6.00 premium California average

Annual fuels savings due to switching from ICE to EV would double from Tesla's current estimates on order pages.

For a California household that currently uses ICE and then installs solar, Model 3 Standard would effectively be free over five-year ownership.

Demand for Model 3 is deeply underestimated.

For reference: $150 Brent = $4.50+ national average = $5.00+ premium national average = $5.50 to $6.00 premium California average

Annual fuels savings due to switching from ICE to EV would double from Tesla's current estimates on order pages.

For a California household that currently uses ICE and then installs solar, Model 3 Standard would effectively be free over five-year ownership.

Demand for Model 3 is deeply underestimated.
Yep, Brent increasing from $75 to $150 would increase fuel about $2/gal. So for an EV like Model 3, were looking at an incremental saving of around $10k. While a $35k Model 3 might already be comparable value to a $30k gas powered car, Brent going to $150 makes it comparable to $20k ICE, but a whole lot more fun to drive.

Yep, Brent increasing from $75 to $150 would increase fuel about $2/gal. So for an EV like Model 3, were looking at an incremental saving of around $10k. While a $35k Model 3 might already be comparable value to a $30k gas powered car, Brent going to $150 makes it comparable to $20k ICE, but a whole lot more fun to drive.

Exactly, and how will Tesla address such a surge in demand in the hypothetical, but I believe likely, scenario?

Exactly, and how will Tesla address such a surge in demand in the hypothetical, but I believe likely, scenario?
Build more Model 3 in Shanghai.

I suspect that to free up space in Fremont for Model Y, they will need to move 5k/wk Model X to Shanghai. So longer term, maybe 10k 3/Y are built in Fremont and 15k 3/Y built in Shanghai per week. The export market for 3/Y is mostly served by Shanghai, while export market for S/X is served by Fremont. Beyond that, Tesla is in dire need for a European Gigafactory.

I do suspect that the delay in Model Y comes down to needing to get Shanghai production of M3 ramped up to make space in Fremont.

Last edited:
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Build more Model 3 in Shanghai.

China truly needs it. They are currently dependent on oil more so than most other countries. One way China can continue its high growth rate, without choking its population, is through Tesla. No other company has the ambitious growth plans that Tesla does, nor do they have Tesla's experience in building out scale battery manufacturing facilities. If not hindered, Tesla can help China achieve an accelerated switch from oil dependence to clean prosperity and continued high rate of growth.

Reactions: gavine and jhm
Short All Things Oil timeline preliminarily set for the summer of 2019.

This target may change wildly, and determining factors will include, in order:
  1. How high will the oil price spike? Current expectation: Brent $100+ by 4Q18
  2. When will global recession start? Current expectation: end of 2018 to early 2019
  3. When will Tesla achieve Level 4/5 autonomy? Current expectation: Level 4 in 2019, FSD in 2020/21
  4. When will Tesla reach one million unit annual production? Current expectation: end of 2020
  5. When will Tesla ramp Semi production to 200k to 300k units per year? Current expectation: 2021/22
  6. How quickly can other EV producers scale? Current expectation: 5+ years behind
Again, all of the above are subject to change... setting the framework for now.

Short All Things Oil timeline: June Update

This target may change wildly, and determining factors will include, in order:
  1. How high will the oil price spike? Current expectation: Brent $100+ by 4Q18 (no change)
  2. When will global recession start? Current expectation: (change from "end of 2018 to early 2019" to mid 2019)
  3. When will Tesla achieve Level 4/5 autonomy? Current expectation: Level 4 in 2019, FSD in 2020/21 (no change)
  4. When will Tesla reach one million unit annual production? Current expectation: end of 2020 (no change)
  5. When will Tesla ramp Semi production to 200k to 300k units per year? Current expectation: 2021/22 (no change)
  6. How quickly can other EV producers scale? Current expectation: 5+ years behind (no change)
Preliminarily set for the summer of 2019.

All of the above are subject to change.

Last edited:
This is so cool. I had speculated that Elon must be interested in power to gas technology because it is needed for Mars.

Screenshot_20180610-173725.png

When will oil demand start declining due to EVs? interesting thread on "the other side"...
I occasionally post over there. Generally not much of an engaging conversation.

Anyway, I posted on this question. If you start with 380 kb/d of displacement per BNEF, then you can easily grow this by 50%/y. This leads to peak oil in 2023 as EVs incrementally displace some 1.4 mb/d.

I thing this approach is pretty good for focusing on actual impact and the implications of sustained growth. Other approaches are more complex and less direct. For example if you count cars, you ignore commercial vehicles and get into questions about whether consumers will like EVs. Or the debate goes to when EVs will be cheaper than ICE as if EVs are not already growing at a tremendous clip. There are so many ways the conversation gets derailed and misses the simple point that the EV fleet already displaces substantial demand and will continue to grow at a fast clip.

Reactions: neroden
This is the blind spot that I think oil bulls are missing. China and India. All their growth calculations are dependent on these developing economies, and they're not going to pan out.
I think last year's 52GW of solar in China opened a lot of eyes. Anyone tracking their EV and energy agenda should have put the pieces together by now.

Their last hope for real growth is India....and that's quickly fading as they revise renewables targets upward. All they can hang their hat on is the Indian government's inability to execute. Normally not a bad bet, but the economics should overwhelm almost any amount of fossil corruption. Even in india.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and skitown
I occasionally post over there. Generally not much of an engaging conversation.

Anyway, I posted on this question. If you start with 380 kb/d of displacement per BNEF, then you can easily grow this by 50%/y. This leads to peak oil in 2023 as EVs incrementally displace some 1.4 mb/d.

I thing this approach is pretty good for focusing on actual impact and the implications of sustained growth. Other approaches are more complex and less direct. For example if you count cars, you ignore commercial vehicles and get into questions about whether consumers will like EVs. Or the debate goes to when EVs will be cheaper than ICE as if EVs are not already growing at a tremendous clip. There are so many ways the conversation gets derailed and misses the simple point that the EV fleet already displaces substantial demand and will continue to grow at a fast clip.

Cost parity would have the strongest impact for value-seekers, which includes commercial use and developing markets, which are key growth areas.

Cost parity also implies cheap batteries, which has significant implications for electricity generation. Maybe 5Mbbl/day are used globally for electricity generation.

Reactions: neroden
Right, I'm not saying that cost parity is not important. It is an important milestone that marks a point of no return for ICE. But the $100/kWh is really overdone in the media. Here are a couple of reasons.

Price parity is different for every kind of vehicle. Specifically for commercial vehicles where 5000 cycle life is well utilized, price parity comes at a much higher cost per kWh than $100. For example, let's suppose the Tesla Semi really does cut 25 cents off of the cost per mile. This implies a savings of $250k over the 1 million mile warranted range. On a TCO basis then the parity price for the long range semi is up to $250k greater than $180k. For Tesla to market this at any $400k, a battery cost around $250/kWh would be quite cheap enough. But this is for TCO price parity. What of sticker price parity? To get there, the $180k Semi would need to be reduced to about $130k. To get there, Tesla would need to make batteries around $70/kWh. But is this really needed? At this price point, the Semi would save about 30c/mile rather than 25c/mile at the $180k price point. Does this really matter? Should truckers hold off buying a Tesla Semi until sticker price parity is obtained? Should Tesla hold back until this is possible?

My second point is that whatever vehicle price is low enough to generate sufficient demand is good enough to start. The key problem that I have with media fixation about $100/kWh is that it is usually framed as a critical event for demand. That material demand for EVs just is not there until EVs are at sticker price parity. Viewing above parity batteries as a barrier to demand is just plain wrong. Specifically it is the demand for EVs at a premium to ICE that is helping to drive the supply chain efficiencies needed to get to $100/kWh. Without this demand for premium EVs, it would take much, much longer for subparity EVs to arrive. This is the basic mistake that all the OEMs have been making. They will only make as many EVs as the law requires them too, until batteries are subparity. That path is way too slow. Tesla has cultivated enough demand above parity to really advance the technology and gain scale. In so doing, they will hit sub $100, many years ahead of the bulk of OEMs. The Chinese will hit it quickly too. Any OEM waiting for $100 batteries to arrive will be a loser in the EV race.

So the really critical action happens before sticker price parity is reached. The EV makers that get there first and vehicles that excite consumer demand for premium EVs matter most. Right now I think product diversity, not price and not battery price, is the key to demand cultivation. There are too many vehicle segments that just don't have enough EV products to choose from. OEMs sitting on their hands waiting to cheap batteries is the problem.

Right, I'm not saying that cost parity is not important. It is an important milestone that marks a point of no return for ICE. But the $100/kWh is really overdone in the media. Here are a couple of reasons.

Price parity is different for every kind of vehicle. Specifically for commercial vehicles where 5000 cycle life is well utilized, price parity comes at a much higher cost per kWh than $100. For example, let's suppose the Tesla Semi really does cut 25 cents off of the cost per mile. This implies a savings of $250k over the 1 million mile warranted range. On a TCO basis then the parity price for the long range semi is up to $250k greater than $180k. For Tesla to market this at any $400k, a battery cost around $250/kWh would be quite cheap enough. But this is for TCO price parity. What of sticker price parity? To get there, the $180k Semi would need to be reduced to about $130k. To get there, Tesla would need to make batteries around $70/kWh. But is this really needed? At this price point, the Semi would save about 30c/mile rather than 25c/mile at the $180k price point. Does this really matter? Should truckers hold off buying a Tesla Semi until sticker price parity is obtained? Should Tesla hold back until this is possible?

My second point is that whatever vehicle price is low enough to generate sufficient demand is good enough to start. The key problem that I have with media fixation about $100/kWh is that it is usually framed as a critical event for demand. That material demand for EVs just is not there until EVs are at sticker price parity. Viewing above parity batteries as a barrier to demand is just plain wrong. Specifically it is the demand for EVs at a premium to ICE that is helping to drive the supply chain efficiencies needed to get to $100/kWh. Without this demand for premium EVs, it would take much, much longer for subparity EVs to arrive. This is the basic mistake that all the OEMs have been making. They will only make as many EVs as the law requires them too, until batteries are subparity. That path is way too slow. Tesla has cultivated enough demand above parity to really advance the technology and gain scale. In so doing, they will hit sub $100, many years ahead of the bulk of OEMs. The Chinese will hit it quickly too. Any OEM waiting for $100 batteries to arrive will be a loser in the EV race.

So the really critical action happens before sticker price parity is reached. The EV makers that get there first and vehicles that excite consumer demand for premium EVs matter most. Right now I think product diversity, not price and not battery price, is the key to demand cultivation. There are too many vehicle segments that just don't have enough EV products to choose from. OEMs sitting on their hands waiting to cheap batteries is the problem.

Not taking away from your points, but wouldn't the TCO calculation also need to include the "cost" of buying a BEV truck now versus a year or two later when the purchase price might be lower?

At this stage of the game, BEV semi's are a rapidly changing tech. There's an opportunity cost with investing in the early tech. It would be like buying solar panels in 2010 to get an ROI of 15 years, or waiting 6 years to buy panels and get an ROI of just 7 years. That's not what the media is saying, but I'm willing to wager that it is what the fleet managers are factoring.

Reactions: jhm
Not taking away from your points, but wouldn't the TCO calculation also need to include the "cost" of buying a BEV truck now versus a year or two later when the purchase price might be lower?

At this stage of the game, BEV semi's are a rapidly changing tech. There's an opportunity cost with investing in the early tech. It would be like buying solar panels in 2010 to get an ROI of 15 years, or waiting 6 years to buy panels and get an ROI of just 7 years. That's not what the media is saying, but I'm willing to wager that it is what the fleet managers are factoring.

The payback times on Tesla semis appear to be insanely short: payback periods of less than 5 years, possibly as little as 2 years. So once they're actually available, I doubt truck fleets will wait.

Reactions: jhm and EinSV