Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Future Without Fossil Fuels?

Bill McKibben
APRIL 4, 2019 ISSUE
2020 Vision: Why You Should See the Fossil Fuel Peak Coming
a report by Kingsmill Bond
41 pp., September 2018, available at carbontracker.org
A New World: The Geopolitics of the Energy Transformation
a report by the Global Commission on the Geopolitics of Energy Transformation
88 pp., January 2019, available at irena.org

Bill McKibben
APRIL 4, 2019 ISSUE
2020 Vision: Why You Should See the Fossil Fuel Peak Coming
a report by Kingsmill Bond
41 pp., September 2018, available at carbontracker.org
A New World: The Geopolitics of the Energy Transformation
a report by the Global Commission on the Geopolitics of Energy Transformation
88 pp., January 2019, available at irena.org
How to make this go faster?
1) buy an EV
2) get the largest PV system you can that is VPP capable (virtual power plant)
3) get your friends & neighbors involved
4) etc

Reactions: ggies07 and neroden
I don't think that's what's going on in the US. Residential solar should be everywhere by now and retailing for $2.20/W installed. The average is closer to double that, and we're the only nation experiencing this pricing phenomenon.

Proposals are nearly the same they were in 2016. That's absurd and needs to be our focus. Oil will peak then rapidly end once renewable energy passes a certain point in consumer's minds, not in share of utility electricity supply. The quickest way to that end is getting products lean and mainstream.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I don't think that's what's going on in the US. Residential solar should be everywhere by now and retailing for $2.20/W installed. The average is closer to double that, and we're the only nation experiencing this pricing phenomenon.

Proposals are nearly the same they were in 2016. That's absurd and needs to be our focus. Oil will peak then rapidly end once renewable energy passes a certain point in consumer's minds, not in share of utility electricity supply. The quickest way to that end is getting products lean and mainstream.
my 11.655 kW system penciled out around $2.71/watt in Florida
prices are dropping (new roof, asphalt shingles, single planr

Jigar Shah put Duke Energy in his sights this week on LinkedIn.
Jigar - "Duke Energy wants to 3X the fixed fee and reduce variable kWh rates to make energy efficiency and solar less profitable in South Carolina. Also interesting, Duke has the highest paid utility CEO in the nation. Duke says it needs the extra revenue to cover $62 million it has spent on coal ash cleanup, $639 million spent to convert old coal plants like the Lee Steam Station in Anderson County to natural gas, and $125 million to recover costs on the Lee Nuclear Station in Gaffney that was canceled two years ago. The increase would also allow Duke to reach a “return on equity” of 10.5 percent."........."(CEO compensation above Rank & File employees is)....17500%, Duke Energy CEO earned her highest compensation yet in 2017. CEO Lynn Good's $21.4 million package is the largest every awarded by Duke Energy Corp. Duke Energy CEO Lynn Good's total compensation for 2017 hit $21.4 million — her largest ever and 175 times the median compensation of all workers in the company.Mar 9, 2018"
Duke Energy customers speak out against proposed rate hike

Jigar Shah put Duke Energy in his sights this week on LinkedIn.
Jigar - "Duke Energy wants to 3X the fixed fee and reduce variable kWh rates to make energy efficiency and solar less profitable in South Carolina. Also interesting, Duke has the highest paid utility CEO in the nation. Duke says it needs the extra revenue to cover $62 million it has spent on coal ash cleanup, $639 million spent to convert old coal plants like the Lee Steam Station in Anderson County to natural gas, and $125 million to recover costs on the Lee Nuclear Station in Gaffney that was canceled two years ago. The increase would also allow Duke to reach a “return on equity” of 10.5 percent."........."(CEO compensation above Rank & File employees is)....17500%, Duke Energy CEO earned her highest compensation yet in 2017. CEO Lynn Good's $21.4 million package is the largest every awarded by Duke Energy Corp. Duke Energy CEO Lynn Good's total compensation for 2017 hit $21.4 million — her largest ever and 175 times the median compensation of all workers in the company.Mar 9, 2018"
Duke Energy customers speak out against proposed rate hike
@Paracelsus, if your avatar were turned into a rating I'd have chosen that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
another off topic,

Koji Endo, an auto analyst at SBI Securities, reports Nissan’s operating margin in its auto business (excluding auto leasing) is less than 1.5%.

Nissan’s 3.9% profit margin would be lower than all other Japanese automakers except Mazda. Toyota is forecasting 8.1% and even alliance partner Mitsubishi, which is still recovering from a mileage-cheating scandal three years ago, is on track to achieve 4.6%.'

reason why i'm posting it here is for context in auto industry, Nissan is not a competitor to Tesla, but they share the same industry.
Also operating margin is not gross margin, Nissan's gross margin is about 17%, so its an additional 15% or 5-10x higher than Nissan's operating margin.

• Informative
another off topic,

Koji Endo, an auto analyst at SBI Securities, reports Nissan’s operating margin in its auto business (excluding auto leasing) is less than 1.5%.

Nissan’s 3.9% profit margin would be lower than all other Japanese automakers except Mazda. Toyota is forecasting 8.1% and even alliance partner Mitsubishi, which is still recovering from a mileage-cheating scandal three years ago, is on track to achieve 4.6%.'

reason why i'm posting it here is for context in auto industry, Nissan is not a competitor to Tesla, but they share the same industry.
Also operating margin is not gross margin, Nissan's gross margin is about 17%, so its an additional 15% or 5-10x higher than Nissan's operating margin.
One concern that I have had for a number of years is that the price of ICE vehicles would decline just as EVs become competitive and scale up. If this were the case it would make it harder for EVs to capture market share profitably.

However, a 1.5% profit margin for Nissan suggests that they are in no position to cut prices on ICE just to defend market share. I suspect other ICE makers are in the same situation too. Production of unprofitable models will be cut.

• Informative
LNG Sector Dangerously Dependent On Chinese Demand | OilPrice.com

This little article give a little glimpse into how the O&G industry thinks about growth.

“We are becoming too reliant on China in the last couple of years,” the chief executive of Australia’s Woodside Petroleum said. “It worries me because we’ve seen others drop off in the same period for demand.”

“I would caution the LNG industry not to make linear extrapolations of Chinese LNG demand based on what you’ve seen in the last two years,” the chairman of Japan’s JERA, Hendrik Gordenker, said.

“We need to continue to develop a broader market base, or else we run the risk that other commodities have had of just becoming so focused on Chinese growth that it can become extremely addictive,” Woodside’s CEO, Peter Coleman, added.

There is abundant caution that growth cannot be extrapolated linearly. Exponential grow is not even a question, but maybe linear growth is. This, of course, makes sense for this context, but it also illustrate how difficult it is for the industry to contemplate that other energy technology are in fact growing exponentially and have done so for decades. It's just not in their mathematical tool box.

What they are missing is that renewables and EVs are the fruit of technology and manufacturing processes which support experience curve declines in cost as production increases. This is the secret sauce that enable these technologies to scale exponentially, at least until they are taking serious market share from everything else in the field.

Natural gas and LNG are not getting exponentially cheaper each year. So there is no expectation that LNG will be able to keep taking more market share year after year. There is no meaningful experience curve for LNG. So at some point China will be tapped out and the industry will need to look elsewhere for growth.

In China specifically, it would pay to note the reasons for the demand slowdown. These include, “Economic slowdown, a more considered approach on coal-to-gas switching and increased domestic infrastructure availability will mean LNG demand will slow in 2019, from the 40-45% growth we have seen in 2017 and 2018,” Wood Mackenzie said in its 2019 LNG outlook in early January.

So notice the limits to growth that the industry is comfortable acknowledging. Nowhere on this list is the fact that China is the number one country for growing wind and solar capacity and a powerhouse for battery and EV manufacturing. The thinks that really are growing exponentially and at serious scale are not even named by WoodMac. This is a huge blind spot. Indeed the "more considered approach on coal to gas switching" is that it is considerably cheaper to convert from coal directly to a mix of wind, solar and storage. Let's be clear here, LNG in China sport prices in the $8 to $15 range per mmBtu. Moreover, new plants have to be built out to generate power from LNG. So the cost of electricity even an efficient combined cycle plant is very expensive. I don't have specific numbers at hand, but easily wind and solar beat the fuel cost ignoring the capex for gas infrastructure and generation.

China needs disoatchable power which coal and gas provide, but batteries and storage will soon eat into demand for dispatchable power. So as the advanced battery industry scales up in China, we will see multiple GWh of storage capacity flowing into the power grid each year. And this will sustain exponential growth in solar and wind capacity. I believe this is what will kill LNG demand growth in China.

But this is a huge blind spot for the industry. They just can't comprehend it. Some think they can just keep promoting gas a a lower carbon alternative to coal. Nope, it's cheaper to replace coal with even lower carbon technologies manufactured domestically. Others think the LNG industry should focus on developing demand in other countries. Nice try, but China will be pouring surplus PV panels and grid batteries into those markets too. Failure to perceive the competitive threat gives a false sense that there are other growth opportunities to exploit. Meanwhile the LNG industry is making massive longterm bets on infrastructure that require multiple decades of strong global demand growth. They need to be contemplating peak LNG demand, globally and not just in China.

Australia's liquefied natural gas (LNG) exports to China commenced in May 2006, with the opening of China's first LNG receiving terminal at Dapeng in Guangdong Province under a 25-year supply agreement. ...

Australia tops world LNG exports - The Australian Pipeliner
Data analysed by Bloomberg showed Australia was the biggest exporter of the month, shipping 6.55 million t of LNG compared to Qatar’s 6.27 million.....China overtook Japan as the world’s biggest LNG importer in November, bringing in 6.56 million t compared to Japan’s 6.39 million t.

I don't have current quantities for lng from Oz to China, but I'm pretty sure the growth is dramatic, as in economically nation building for Australia. lng growth to china will stop sometime, but when?

• Informative
Reactions: jhm
One concern that I have had for a number of years is that the price of ICE vehicles would decline just as EVs become competitive and scale up. If this were the case it would make it harder for EVs to capture market share profitably.

However, a 1.5% profit margin for Nissan suggests that they are in no position to cut prices on ICE just to defend market share. I suspect other ICE makers are in the same situation too. Production of unprofitable models will be cut.

Nissan is more than just a ICE manufacturer, its ICE profits that funded their EV program.

Nissan is more than just a ICE manufacturer, its ICE profits that funded their EV program.
Sure, the Leaf is notable. The question remains whether they can cut prices on ICE and still be able to fund investment into EVs. Any ICE maker that is not profitable enough to fund the development of EVs is going to have a very tough time surviving the next 10 years. But I suppose some will just try to stay in the game as long as possible and not invest in EVs. The strategy there might simply be to return capital to investors and go out of business in the long run. So maybe that sort of player could lower prices and payout whatever dividends they can muster. But I do believe Nissan will do its best to hold its share of the EV market.

One rumored point of difference between Carlos Ghosn and Hiroto Saikawa, was that Ghosn had directed the alliance to grow to 14 million cars pa by 2022. His belief being that 14million PA cars was the scale needed for a modern mass market automaker to finance the transition to autonomous EV. Nissan sees electric car sales surging to one million annually by 2022 | Reuters

Hiroto Saikawa Carlos Ghosn Planned to Replace Nissan CEO Before His Arrest but it is speculated that Saikawa wanted to pursue profits instead of scale.

Toyota/Suzuki/Subaru as an alliance is already past the 14 million units PA.
RNM and VW are at about 10 million units, I expect VW to co-ordinate with Ford as an alliance to bump over the 14 million units PA

nb nissan cannot ignore this Nissan Note takes 2018 sales crown in Japan

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jhm and neroden
Bloomberg about this topic:

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

"Gasoline and diesel displacement by electric vehicles will grow by 96,000 barrels a day this year, BloombergNEF said in a report Tuesday. That brings the lost cumulative demand since 2011 at 352,000 barrels a day, about as much as total consumption by some countries, such as Peru or Portugal. By comparison, total global oil demand growth over the same period rose 12 million barrels a day to 100.6 million, according to the International Energy Agency."

So we still got quite a way to go...