Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More from LLNL
The upper right portion of the diagram depicts the split between energy that is successfully applied to end use and energy that is rejected to the environment. No energy transformation can be 100% efficient. For example, conversion of coal, natural gas, and nuclear energy in thermal power plants is, averaged over the existing fleet, about 35% efficient due to the fundamental thermodynamics governing the underlying technology. The remainder of the energy (on average 65% of the energy input) is rejected as waste heat to the environment. Most of this waste heat is often removed from power plants in cooling water, which drives the need for water for thermoelectric cooling. Electricity generation does not contribute directly to energy services because the useful result of electricity generation is consumed by the end use sectors.
This analysis does not calculate the efficiency of different forms of electricity production, nor does it assume a single efficiency for all power plants. Rather, it uses the difference between total energy inputs to electricity and total electricity produced to calculate rejected energy (see Appendix A.3.1)

Rejected Energy from Electricity Production: The electricity sector rejects more than half of the energy it consumes. Energy rejection from the electricity sector is calculated as the difference between the total amount of energy input into the electricity sector (described above as SEDS data-codes TEEIB-
ELNIB) and the total amount of electricity generated (described above as (Use + Exports)-Imports)).
https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/content/energy/energy_archive/energy_flow_2013/2013USEnergy.png If you look a the fine print at the bottom of this chart, you'll see,

"EIA reports consumption of renewable resources (i.e., hydro, wind, geothermal, and solar) for electricity in BTU-equivalent values by assuming a typical fossil fuel plant "heat rate."

This heat rate is likely in the neighborhood of 10,300 BTU/kWh, rather than the thermal equivalent of 3,412 BTU/kWh. The extra 6,888 BTU/kWh or so is accounted for as rejected energy, though it is a mere statistical adjustment, not physical energy.

So even as we converge to all renewable energy, these charts will still show a crapton of rejected energy. Their methodology is simply fossil fuel centric in outlook and must change at some point in time when we are more centered intellectually around renewable energy.

It would be far better in this chart to separate physical rejected energy from comparative non-physical rejected energy. That would show just how much progress is being made to reduce physical rejected energy.

https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/content/energy/energy_archive/energy_flow_2013/2013USEnergy.png If you look a the fine print at the bottom of this chart, you'll see,

"EIA reports consumption of renewable resources (i.e., hydro, wind, geothermal, and solar) for electricity in BTU-equivalent values by assuming a typical fossil fuel plant "heat rate."

This heat rate is likely in the neighborhood of 10,300 BTU/kWh, rather than the thermal equivalent of 3,412 BTU/kWh. The extra 6,888 BTU/kWh or so is accounted for as rejected energy, though it is a mere statistical adjustment, not physical energy.

So even as we converge to all renewable energy, these charts will still show a crapton of rejected energy. Their methodology is simply fossil fuel centric in outlook and must change at some point in time when we are more centered intellectually around renewable energy.

It would be far better in this chart to separate physical rejected energy from comparative non-physical rejected energy. That would show just how much progress is being made to reduce physical rejected energy.
So... a kWh of solar energy is equivalent to 3412 BTUs but LLNL reports this as 10,300 BTU with the difference being rejected energy. I guess this makes sense when looking to replace fossil fuel energy but is very odd when looking at renewables.

Reactions: neroden and jhm
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Surprised?
Two years ago, BNEF said $100/kWh pack, the crossover price when EVs are cheaper than ICE, would come in 2026. I said, nope, 2020 or 2021.

One year ago, BNEF said $100/kWh pack will come 2024. I said, nope, 2020 or 2021.

Now, BNEF says crossover point will come 2022. I still say, nope, 2020 or 2021.

Importantly, they are now looking more broadly and seeing that other parts of EVs are coming down in cost too, not just the battery.

That's how the learning curve works. All specialized parts and overall assembly costs should come down as the EV industry scales up. Just think about how much Tesla has advanced with the integrated wiring harness of the Model 3. Every little cost cut adds up to big savings.

Oh, and ICE will be becoming more expensive as automakers cope with more stringent emissions and efficiency standards.

We can only hope that investors figure this out. It's time for Tesla to get a new valuation.

could ask them to change perhaps....
[email protected]

• Helpful
Reactions: replicant
could ask them to change perhaps....
[email protected]
https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/content/assets/docs/2018_United-States_Energy.pdf
Here's a potential adjustment. In this most recent flowchart, non-fuel renewables (solar, hydro, wind, geotherm) offset 6.39 Quads. At 33% efficiency, this contributed 2.11 Quads of actual energy and the rest is 4.28 Quads of rejected energy offset or perhaps avoid energy. So of the total 68.5Quads of rejected energy, 64.2 Quads is Rejected Energy Incurred and 4.3 Quad is Rejected Energy Avoided. That is how they should break that down.

They make other mistakes in estimating rejected energy in the various sectors. They assume the same end use efficiency regardless of energy source. For example in transportation, they assume 21% efficiency for all vehicles, vessels and aircraft. We know that 21% is a fair assumption of ICE vehicles, but the efficiency of EVs is about 4 times as much. Perhaps 85% efficiency on electricity to transport is fair while 21% on petroleum is fair. Particularly maddening is that the rejected from on electricity in transport is that it is double counted. First generation of electricity is 33% efficient and then in transport its assumed to be 21% efficient. So the net efficiency is a whopping 7%. So this radically understates the contributions of renewable electricity to transportation. Similar concerns crop up for the other sectors. For example, heat from electricity is much more efficient than heat from natural gas. There might also be efficiency differences between coal and natural gas. For example combined heat and power from gas is rather efficient for industrial uses.

Also small scale distributed energy is missing altogether, and distributed energy avoid losses in transmission and distribution of power. So there is an efficiency story to be told here.

So the whole infographic is due for a major overhaul. The flow of gross energy with back of the envelope assumptions does not do just to the complexities of transforming our energy system through efficiency, electrification and renewable energy. There are many energy analysts and academics that are similarly critical of the methodology, developing alternatives and advocating change. Infographics are a way of telling a story. And the right story is not accurately being told here. Perhaps the best way to change the narrative would be for another organization to develop a better analysis and infographic. Tell a new story. Keeping track of avoided energy could help tell the efficiency story.

https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/content/assets/docs/2018_United-States_Energy.pdf
Here's a potential adjustment. In this most recent flowchart, non-fuel renewables (solar, hydro, wind, geotherm) offset 6.39 Quads. At 33% efficiency, this contributed 2.11 Quads of actual energy and the rest is 4.28 Quads of rejected energy offset or perhaps avoid energy. So of the total 68.5Quads of rejected energy, 64.2 Quads is Rejected Energy Incurred and 4.3 Quad is Rejected Energy Avoided. That is how they should break that down.

They make other mistakes in estimating rejected energy in the various sectors. They assume the same end use efficiency regardless of energy source. For example in transportation, they assume 21% efficiency for all vehicles, vessels and aircraft. We know that 21% is a fair assumption of ICE vehicles, but the efficiency of EVs is about 4 times as much. Perhaps 85% efficiency on electricity to transport is fair while 21% on petroleum is fair. Particularly maddening is that the rejected from on electricity in transport is that it is double counted. First generation of electricity is 33% efficient and then in transport its assumed to be 21% efficient. So the net efficiency is a whopping 7%. So this radically understates the contributions of renewable electricity to transportation. Similar concerns crop up for the other sectors. For example, heat from electricity is much more efficient than heat from natural gas. There might also be efficiency differences between coal and natural gas. For example combined heat and power from gas is rather efficient for industrial uses.

Also small scale distributed energy is missing altogether, and distributed energy avoid losses in transmission and distribution of power. So there is an efficiency story to be told here.

So the whole infographic is due for a major overhaul. The flow of gross energy with back of the envelope assumptions does not do just to the complexities of transforming our energy system through efficiency, electrification and renewable energy. There are many energy analysts and academics that are similarly critical of the methodology, developing alternatives and advocating change. Infographics are a way of telling a story. And the right story is not accurately being told here. Perhaps the best way to change the narrative would be for another organization to develop a better analysis and infographic. Tell a new story. Keeping track of avoided energy could help tell the efficiency story.
can i copy this and send it to folks at LLNL and see if they respond?

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Hmm another thing that could be done is to split Rejected Energy Incurred into light emissions and heavy emissions.

The light emissions would be the portion of energy consumed with after netting out heavy emission.. The heavy emissions would be the portion that emits 200 million tonnes (0.2Gt) per Quad. This is two times the equivalent of simply burning coal at 220 pounds (100 kg) per mmBtu. It also make it east to know how many Gt of carbon the system is emitting just by multiplying Quads of Heavy Emissions by 5.

So for example natural gas emits 117 kg/mmBtu. So 1 Quad of NG is 0.266 Quads Heavy Emissions (=117/440) and 0.734 Quads Light Emissions. Now if you use that gas to generate power at say 40% efficiency, then let's net that out of the Zero emission part. Thus:

1.000 Quads of Natural Gas (40% efficiency)
=
0.400 Quads of Electricity Generated
+ 0.266 Quads of Rejected Energy Heavy Emissions
+ 0.334 Quads of Rejected Energy Light Emissions
+ 0.000 Quads of Rejected Energy Avoided

Compare that with coal assuming 35% efficiency.

1.000 Quads of Coal (35% efficiency)
=
0.350 Quads of Electricity Generated
+ 0.500 Quads of Rejected Energy Heavy Emissions
+ 0.150 Quads of Rejected Energy Light Emissions
+ 0.000 Quads of Rejected Energy Avoided

Note if we could generate coal at a higher efficiency, it would have the same heavy emissions but less light emission.

Now suppose we want to compare that with Solar with say 10% curtailment displacing 36% efficient fossil generation

1.000 Quads of Solar (36% efficiency, 10% curtailment)
=
0.360 Quads of Electricity Generated
+ 0.000 Quads of Rejected Energy Heavy Emissions
+ 0.040 Quads of Rejected Energy Light Emissions
+ 0.600 Quads of Rejected Energy Avoided

If we could reduce the curtailment, we'd have less light emissions and more Rejected Energy Avoided. Curtailment usually involves cutting renewable energy while must-run generation capacity continues to put surplus power into the grid. So the gird is still generating some carbon emissions even though there was surplus renewable power available. We need a lot more storage and non-grid offtake markets to avoid light emissions.

So if we aggregate a mix of energy in to such bucks, we get a clearer picture of how the system is doing along key attributes.

Electricity Generated, this is good, we want plenty of this.
Rejected Energy Heavy Emissions, this is very bad, we want to reduce this.
Rejected Energy Light Emissions, this is not ideal, but better than Heavy emissions, we want this to be small.
Rejected Energy Avoided, this is positive, we want more renewable energy displacing fossils.

Decarbonization consists in reducing Heavy Emissions to zero or net negative if negative emissions power generation becomes a thing.

So this is a rough idea of how to do analysis that maps both balance of energy and emissions. I don't like defining heavy emissions as 0.2 Gt/Quad. That constant is not so nice. At first I thought 0.1 Gt/Quad as this matches the combustion of coal. However, when you attempt to attribute emissions just to the rejected energy portion this leads to negative values for coal's rejected light emissions. I don't see a good way to interpret negative zero emissions or represent it in this sort of infographic. So I doubled it. But what do we do with metallurgical coal were coal is being used for industrial heat. That may well have high emissions that exceed the total amount of rejected energy. So the problem occurs because we want to think of the useful energy as clean and allocate all emissions to the rejected energy. Another possibility is to define heavy emissions at such a high concentration, e.g., 1Gt/Quad, that it avoid these netting out problems. But that send the odd message that 1 Quad coal = 0.35Quad Electricity + 0.10Quad Heavy Emissions + 0.55Quad Light Emissions. Yikes, that actually make coal look pretty clean! So I compromised and set heavy emissions at 0.2Gt/Quad. But maybe there is a more elegant why to frame this.

Of course you can make a flow chart for just the carbon, separate from the energy flow. LLNL has done that, but the result does not really give you a sense of efficiency, how it compares with the value that energy creates. It also does not illustrate how electrification can assist in decarbonization. It tells a very limited story.
Carbon Flow Charts

Why Elon Musk Is Wrong About Hydrogen | OilPrice.com

More talk about the hydrogen economy being talked about, with mobility in heavy vehicles being a big consumer. I continue to have my doubts about the ability to get that business of the ground, but it's a business model that's drawing in some of the supporting elements that are needed.

One mentioned towards the end is a dam in Washington state that generates quite a bit of surplus power, especially during spring runoff. They are apparently looking at an electrolysis unit that would enable them to start producing 45,000 tons of hydrogen per year.

I suspect there are plenty of fossil fuel execs thinking that this new hydrogen economy sounds peachy - they'll make hydrogen from natural gas and keep the fossil fuel gravy train rolling. I'm hoping for the BEV commercial trucks to be more useful on balance than the hydrogen trucks, and keep hydrogen in a time shifting energy storage and industrial chemical role.

Why Elon Musk Is Wrong About Hydrogen | OilPrice.com

More talk about the hydrogen economy being talked about, with mobility in heavy vehicles being a big consumer. I continue to have my doubts about the ability to get that business of the ground, but it's a business model that's drawing in some of the supporting elements that are needed.

One mentioned towards the end is a dam in Washington state that generates quite a bit of surplus power, especially during spring runoff. They are apparently looking at an electrolysis unit that would enable them to start producing 45,000 tons of hydrogen per year.

I suspect there are plenty of fossil fuel execs thinking that this new hydrogen economy sounds peachy - they'll make hydrogen from natural gas and keep the fossil fuel gravy train rolling. I'm hoping for the BEV commercial trucks to be more useful on balance than the hydrogen trucks, and keep hydrogen in a time shifting energy storage and industrial chemical role.

If it keeps gasoline/diesel from being burned, natural gas from being flared, and reduces the production of NOx and SOx, then any step they take would be an improvement!

Reactions: jhm
If it keeps gasoline/diesel from being burned, natural gas from being flared, and reduces the production of NOx and SOx, then any step they take would be an improvement!

I do agree with the sentiment, and I agree with @jhm and the observations he's been making about how renewables could take over for the manufacturing of hydrogen instead of making it from nat gas in that market. I can see a path to some pretty significant additional growth beyond that in use cases that are still pretty static, as most industrial applications are.

It's beyond that, which I freely admit is a long ways down the road from today, where the uses become increasingly mobile where I see a big disconnect between the theory and the reality. I encourage you to read the paper I linked recently, and see what you think about the idea of tanks of hydrogen as a routine fuel about town:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/e5c9/2ead8b933bed601347179b17f7a8df919838.pdf

That paper is a study of an industrial accident in which they estimate 3-7kg of hydrogen exploded. As a point of reference, the Toyota Mirai tank holds about 5kg of hydrogen (https://ssl.toyota.com/mirai/Mirai_Fueling.pdf). Among many other amazing parts of the explosion, the roof of the factory was lifted an estimated 1.5m before resettling.

I realize that the safety mechanisms built into these hydrogen fuel tanks and vehicles are way, way far beyond what gas tanks have built into them. I also realize that hydrogen has properties that mitigate against explosions (if anything, there's a tendency to flame, up to and including something more like a blow torch), which the tanks make use of in extreme distress to shoot off a blow torch into the sky. Overall quantity of burning vehicle events will, as with EV's, be dramatically fewer in number.

Unlike EV's, just the wrong set of circumstances and you get an explosion that breaks window glass 700m from the explosion. I'm not really worried about new(ish) vehicles - how well is all of that safety equipment going to be maintained in a 20 year old vehicle that's getting towards the end of its life? And what are the clever folks that WANT it to blow up going to be able to do when they get their hands on stuff like that?

As I say - I see huge potential and value in larger, more static applications, akin to current industrial applications. I'm hoping the mobile applications are won by batteries, and keep anything running on hydrogen non-economic.

I do agree with the sentiment, and I agree with @jhm and the observations he's been making about how renewables could take over for the manufacturing of hydrogen instead of making it from nat gas in that market. I can see a path to some pretty significant additional growth beyond that in use cases that are still pretty static, as most industrial applications are.

It's beyond that, which I freely admit is a long ways down the road from today, where the uses become increasingly mobile where I see a big disconnect between the theory and the reality. I encourage you to read the paper I linked recently, and see what you think about the idea of tanks of hydrogen as a routine fuel about town:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/e5c9/2ead8b933bed601347179b17f7a8df919838.pdf

That paper is a study of an industrial accident in which they estimate 3-7kg of hydrogen exploded. As a point of reference, the Toyota Mirai tank holds about 5kg of hydrogen (https://ssl.toyota.com/mirai/Mirai_Fueling.pdf). Among many other amazing parts of the explosion, the roof of the factory was lifted an estimated 1.5m before resettling.

I realize that the safety mechanisms built into these hydrogen fuel tanks and vehicles are way, way far beyond what gas tanks have built into them. I also realize that hydrogen has properties that mitigate against explosions (if anything, there's a tendency to flame, up to and including something more like a blow torch), which the tanks make use of in extreme distress to shoot off a blow torch into the sky. Overall quantity of burning vehicle events will, as with EV's, be dramatically fewer in number.

Unlike EV's, just the wrong set of circumstances and you get an explosion that breaks window glass 700m from the explosion. I'm not really worried about new(ish) vehicles - how well is all of that safety equipment going to be maintained in a 20 year old vehicle that's getting towards the end of its life? And what are the clever folks that WANT it to blow up going to be able to do when they get their hands on stuff like that?

As I say - I see huge potential and value in larger, more static applications, akin to current industrial applications. I'm hoping the mobile applications are won by batteries, and keep anything running on hydrogen non-economic.

Not disagreeing with the long term future of hydrogen, but just wanted to correct a misconception about hydrogen fuel. It's not the amount of flammable H2 that's the big concern (that stuff floats pretty readily and doesn't pool easily), it's the amount of pressure they're under in the containment vessel. 700-bar (aka 10,000 psi) is over double what those [relatively low-pressure] natural gas tanks in Russia are under. There are plenty of videos of what their explosions (without the flame) are capable of.

Reactions: neroden
Only to make the point that electricity production from renewables is not the proof needed to claim replacing hydrocarbons is "not far off". Using electricity generation as your only metric for renewable replacement example is misleading, based on total world energy use.
Sure, you need to look at EV adoption ( on an exponential growth curve which ICE auto sales drop) too. What more do you need? Electricity and transpoetation is the vast supermajority of fossil fuel use. Heating is slowly switching to heat pumps, too.

You are spouting antique talking points. You could read my 14 page detailed analysis of how every big market for fossils is being squeezed out, published at Cleantechnica half a year ago. Google "The doom of fossil fuel investments"

This week The Economist published a couple of articles about the oil industry. First here's one about Aramco expanding its business in Asia:

Saudi Aramco looks downstream, and East
The oil giant’s shift towards Asia and beyond crude should worry its Western rivals

[...] Aramco’s chief executive, Amin Nasser, appears to have just one word for Asia: plastics. He notes that the typical Indian uses scarcely 10kg of the stuff a year, one-tenth as much as a Canadian, and wants to pour $100bn into chemicals over the next decade, on top of the SABIC splurge.

[...] The collapse in oil prices in 2014-16 reminded the industry that refining and chemicals are a useful hedge against volatility. As the warming world burns fewer hydrocarbons, Aramco is keen to secure captive markets for its crude feedstock.​

TSLA investors looking to bet against Big Oil should keep this in mind. Oil isn't just for transportation, so watch out for overestimating the effects of decarbonizing transportation. Also, the impact may vary from company to company.

The second anticipates more M&A deals in fracking.

Chevron buys Anadarko for its shale assets
The $33bn megadeal signals consolidation in the fracking business

Frackers suffered after 2014, when Saudi Arabia declined to cut production and oil prices plunged. Today, even with higher oil prices, they look constrained. Their median return on equity last year was less than half that of the s&p 500 stockmarket index, according to Morgan Stanley, a bank. More investors are demanding that they spend only as much as they earn—a novel concept.

[...]

The majors appreciate shale’s quick drilling times, predictable cashflows and favourable regulation. “It becomes your throttle,” says Bob Brackett of Bernstein, a research firm. “When times are good, you dial it up.” The question, then, is not whether Big Oil will bet on shale, but whether it will double down.

The Delaware basin certainly looks ripe for consolidation (see map). Last year the largest seven producers accounted for about half of output. Others each produced 4% or less. Wall Street may have cooled on the Permian. Big Oil certainly has not.

This week The Economist published a couple of articles about the oil industry. First here's one about Aramco expanding its business in Asia:

Saudi Aramco looks downstream, and East
The oil giant’s shift towards Asia and beyond crude should worry its Western rivals

[...] Aramco’s chief executive, Amin Nasser, appears to have just one word for Asia: plastics. He notes that the typical Indian uses scarcely 10kg of the stuff a year, one-tenth as much as a Canadian, and wants to pour $100bn into chemicals over the next decade, on top of the SABIC splurge.

[...] The collapse in oil prices in 2014-16 reminded the industry that refining and chemicals are a useful hedge against volatility. As the warming world burns fewer hydrocarbons, Aramco is keen to secure captive markets for its crude feedstock.​

TSLA investors looking to bet against Big Oil should keep this in mind. Oil isn't just for transportation, so watch out for overestimating the effects of decarbonizing transportation. Also, the impact may vary from company to company.

The second anticipates more M&A deals in fracking.

Chevron buys Anadarko for its shale assets
The $33bn megadeal signals consolidation in the fracking business

Frackers suffered after 2014, when Saudi Arabia declined to cut production and oil prices plunged. Today, even with higher oil prices, they look constrained. Their median return on equity last year was less than half that of the s&p 500 stockmarket index, according to Morgan Stanley, a bank. More investors are demanding that they spend only as much as they earn—a novel concept.

[...]

The majors appreciate shale’s quick drilling times, predictable cashflows and favourable regulation. “It becomes your throttle,” says Bob Brackett of Bernstein, a research firm. “When times are good, you dial it up.” The question, then, is not whether Big Oil will bet on shale, but whether it will double down.

The Delaware basin certainly looks ripe for consolidation (see map). Last year the largest seven producers accounted for about half of output. Others each produced 4% or less. Wall Street may have cooled on the Permian. Big Oil certainly has not.

I wonder how much the current backlash about plastic pollution will affect plastic demand. At least in the developed world, there are persistent and growing calls to stop single use plastic bottles, packaging, etc.
Is this just a passing fad or will it have a real effect?

• Love
Reactions: replicant
I wonder how much the current backlash about plastic pollution will affect plastic demand. At least in the developed world, there are persistent and growing calls to stop single use plastic bottles, packaging, etc.
Is this just a passing fad or will it have a real effect?

I think the backlash is more about disposable plastics and a call for more action to recycle them or substitute materials for better disposability. For durable goods/products, no one's arguing against plastics.