Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding was that Saudi Arabia's plan was to drive prices down to a point not tolerable by others, thereby driving them out of business. Presumably all those without staying power are gone now. So what's their plan now? Keeping prices low doesn't seem like a good one.
What I am suggesting above is that squeezing marginal producers out of the market is not sufficient to optimize the long-term value of oil reserves. The price of oil must be kept below $60 or so to keep retail gasoline below $3. So the Saudis and others actually do need marginal oil producers to stay in the game and help keep prices low. This is not a strategy were you chase out competitors and then jack up the price of oil. To do that would hasten the advent of peak oil demand. Particularly PHEVs could ramp up enormously fast if gasoline were over $4/gal. Remember that every ICEV sold represents a long-term commitment to buy gasoline for the next 15 to 20 years. So the price of gasoline today needs to be low enough to lock in multi-decade consumption. Without locking in that long-term demand, then all the oil reserves lose value rapidly before they can be tapped.

So I'm saying that was the strategy four years ago! At that point batteries were well over $250/kWh, so gasoline could compete at $3/gal. Now Tesla is pushing battery costs below $150/kWh, and the chart above suggest that gasoline needs to under about $2.1/gal to compete. This may be impossible. In the US, retailing adds about $1.1/gal to the commodity price of gasoline which is about $1.35/gal now as crude is about $40/b. So to keep retail gas under $2.1/gal, commodity gasoline needs to be under $1.0/gal, whence crude needs to be under $30/b. So to follow this strategy out to compete with Tesla, oil producers need to extend the glut indefinitely and keep crude down to about $30/b. This may well be too much for a critical volume of marginal producers to stay in business. So the Saudis, Russians and Iranians will do what they can to bring as much supply online as they can muster, but it won't be enough to maintain 96 mb/d of production.

So oil stays in range of about $50/b while Tesla and Chinese EV makers advance. At least that is low enough to minimize the hybrid threat, but not the BEV threat. It just will take longer to ramp up battery production fast enough to supply the world with BEVs. The EV battery supply reached 7.9 GWh for H1 2016, up 76% y/y. This growth of battery supply is the primary metric that puts oil reserve holders at risk. 2016 could come in at 19 GWh. The first 14% of GF1 could add another 20 GWh to annual supply. Peak oil demand hits at about 25 M EVs or about 1250 GWh/yr production capacity, enough to knock out 1 mb/d oil consumption in a year. Advancing 76% annually gets us to this threshold in 7.4 years, mid 2023. So the oil industry desperately needs to slow this pace battery expansion. I'm not sure I see an effective strategy to do that, but I'm not McKinsey.

Panasonic Dominates EV Battery Cell Production Rankings … With Gigafactory On Horizon

What I am suggesting above is that squeezing marginal producers out of the market is not sufficient to optimize the long-term value of oil reserves. The price of oil must be kept below $60 or so to keep retail gasoline below $3. So the Saudis and others actually do need marginal oil producers to stay in the game and help keep prices low. This is not a strategy were you chase out competitors and then jack up the price of oil. To do that would hasten the advent of peak oil demand. Particularly PHEVs could ramp up enormously fast if gasoline were over $4/gal. Remember that every ICEV sold represents a long-term commitment to buy gasoline for the next 15 to 20 years. So the price of gasoline today needs to be low enough to lock in multi-decade consumption. Without locking in that long-term demand, then all the oil reserves lose value rapidly before they can be tapped.

So I'm saying that was the strategy four years ago! At that point batteries were well over $250/kWh, so gasoline could compete at $3/gal. Now Tesla is pushing battery costs below $150/kWh, and the chart above suggest that gasoline needs to under about $2.1/gal to compete. This may be impossible. In the US, retailing adds about $1.1/gal to the commodity price of gasoline which is about $1.35/gal now as crude is about $40/b. So to keep retail gas under $2.1/gal, commodity gasoline needs to be under $1.0/gal, whence crude needs to be under $30/b. So to follow this strategy out to compete with Tesla, oil producers need to extend the glut indefinitely and keep crude down to about $30/b. This may well be too much for a critical volume of marginal producers to stay in business. So the Saudis, Russians and Iranians will do what they can to bring as much supply online as they can muster, but it won't be enough to maintain 96 mb/d of production.

So oil stays in range of about $50/b while Tesla and Chinese EV makers advance. At least that is low enough to minimize the hybrid threat, but not the BEV threat. It just will take longer to ramp up battery production fast enough to supply the world with BEVs. The EV battery supply reached 7.9 GWh for H1 2016, up 76% y/y. This growth of battery supply is the primary metric that puts oil reserve holders at risk. 2016 could come in at 19 GWh. The first 14% of GF1 could add another 20 GWh to annual supply. Peak oil demand hits at about 25 M EVs or about 1250 GWh/yr production capacity, enough to knock out 1 mb/d oil consumption in a year. Advancing 76% annually gets us to this threshold in 7.4 years, mid 2023. So the oil industry desperately needs to slow this pace battery expansion. I'm not sure I see an effective strategy to do that, but I'm not McKinsey.

Panasonic Dominates EV Battery Cell Production Rankings … With Gigafactory On Horizon
Yeah I agree, if you're trying to kill your competitors you're missing the the point of competition, it's like trying to injure all the players on the other teams instead of trying to get the ball into the hoop. Guess it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I heard an interview with the Saudi Prince or oil Minister or something? a month or two ago and he was saying that they were planning on going full into renewables. He may have meant full in over the next 30 years, but it was interesting. It seems like they have more of an attrition mindset than an actual competitive one. It's understandable because for a long time it probably seemed like why fix it if it isn't broken. They are kind of stuck in this position of being heavily invested in a technology that is clearly heading for obsolescence. Maybe Aramco could make a bid on SolarCity, that would be a step in the right direction!

Yeah I agree, if you're trying to kill your competitors you're missing the the point of competition, it's like trying to injure all the players on the other teams instead of trying to get the ball into the hoop. Guess it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. I heard an interview with the Saudi Prince or oil Minister or something? a month or two ago and he was saying that they were planning on going full into renewables. He may have meant full in over the next 30 years, but it was interesting. It seems like they have more of an attrition mindset than an actual competitive one. It's understandable because for a long time it probably seemed like why fix it if it isn't broken. They are kind of stuck in this position of being heavily invested in a technology that is clearly heading for obsolescence. Maybe Aramco could make a bid on SolarCity, that would be a step in the right direction!
If you think in terms of maximizing how much wealth the Saudis can extract from their oil reserves over the next 15 years, it makes sense for them to divert oil from power production and generate power from solar and natural gas. This allows them to lower the (opportunity) cost for power and maximize exports for hard currency. Also solar power installations will keep generating power to run their economy even after the oil is worthless. Natural gas is nearly worthless as an export good. So it makes economic sense to use it for domestic power. They have been using something like 600 kb/d for domestic power generation. About 12 GW of gas plus 36 GW solar would replace that oil. This is an investment on order of $60B. Over 20 years of oil production this would have a cost around $15 per barrel freed up for export. So the export price of oil can drop to $20/b and they still make a 30% return on investment. They will also save a lot on reducing inefficient consumption as they remove subsidies for retail electricity.

Surely you jest about Aramco buying SolarCity!

So I'm saying that was the strategy four years ago! At that point batteries were well over $250/kWh, so gasoline could compete at $3/gal. Now Tesla is pushing battery costs below $150/kWh, and the chart above suggest that gasoline needs to under about $2.1/gal to compete. This may be impossible.
Your regression says it's possible:

GasolinePricePerGallon = $0.922 + 0.0261*WTICrudePricePerBarrel + error

Solving for the crude oil price, I get $45.

In the US, retailing adds about $1.1/gal to the commodity price of gasoline which is about $1.35/gal now as crude is about $40/b. So to keep retail gas under $2.1/gal, commodity gasoline needs to be under $1.0/gal, whence crude needs to be under $30/b.
Retailer margins will be squeezed and so will refining margins.

Refining margins are *already being squeezed*; this is part of the reason all the Integrated Oil Companies had such a terrible quarter.

Retail margins are already thin enough that gas stations are closing, so it may not be possible to squeeze them too much further. I do expect gas stations to close faster, to eliminate the overhead. There's a question of how much of the retailing cost is profit margin, how much is overhead (which can be defrayed by having a single large gas station rather than several smaller ones), and how much is actually *transport cost* of moving the gasoline from the refineries to the gas stations -- because the transport cost *cannot* be cut.

So to follow this strategy out to compete with Tesla, oil producers need to extend the glut indefinitely and keep crude down to about $30/b. This may well be too much for a critical volume of marginal producers to stay in business.
OK, so I dug up some charts of production costs for existing oil fields; there are various numbers, but there's some commonality. Most of the Middle Eastern countries can produce crude *way* cheaper than that, at $5-$10/bbl. There's a "second tier" which includes the old US wells (not fracked, not tight, the old stuff), Indonesia, and a few others, which is in the $15-$25/bbl range. I didn't look up to the third tier, because at the time I was trying to forecast the oil price once land transport demand is *eliminated*, which should be about 1/3 of the oil production now, and that was enough production. (I did consider further switches away from oil and towards electricity in non-transport sectors.)

So the Saudis, Russians and Iranians will do what they can to bring as much supply online as they can muster, but it won't be enough to maintain 96 mb/d of production. So oil stays in range of about $50/b while Tesla and Chinese EV makers advance.
Until the BEV supply starts seriously displacing oil demand. And until then, there might be a price spike even with the Saudis pumping at top speed... depends how many of the expensive suppliers go *permanently* offline before the BEV supply starts displacing oil en masse.

At least that is low enough to minimize the hybrid threat, but not the BEV threat. It just will take longer to ramp up battery production fast enough to supply the world with BEVs. The EV battery supply reached 7.9 GWh for H1 2016, up 76% y/y. This growth of battery supply is the primary metric that puts oil reserve holders at risk. 2016 could come in at 19 GWh. The first 14% of GF1 could add another 20 GWh to annual supply. Peak oil demand hits at about 25 M EVs or about 1250 GWh/yr production capacity, enough to knock out 1 mb/d oil consumption in a year.
How do you calculate that number? Was that earlier in the thread? I've attempted to figure this out several different ways, the point at which demand of oil is dropping faster than natural depletion of oil supply, and I've come up with anywhere from 110M EVs total to a mere 10 million per year, using different assumptions. At this point I don't think I can peg when it'll happen exactly. Before 2030 is a safe bet though.
Advancing 76% annually gets us to this threshold in 7.4 years, mid 2023. So the oil industry desperately needs to slow this pace battery expansion. I'm not sure I see an effective strategy to do that, but I'm not McKinsey.

Reactions: tander
Hey, Neroden, thanks for digging up my regression model. In the midst of writing I did not want to break to find that again, but it really is helpful here. So basically we are presently within range of $2.1/gal retail. So it clearly is compatible with crude around $45/b. If oil stays near $45/b, it's a big question for the industry how much supply can be maintained. Natural decline is about 6% per year. So that seems like a lot of supply to replace each year. So if $45/b is only enough to bring on about 5 mb/d in replacement, not the full 5.75 mb/d needed, then the total supply begins to decline. It gets confusing at this point that if we are talking about peak demand or peak supply. But really this is peak demand, because the market is only willing to pay $45/b or find cheaper alternatives like EVs and hybrids. If the market is willing to pay $100/b, then of course supply can be increased for a while. So demand question is how much is the market willing to pay to bring on an extra 1 mb/d of supply.

So my basic criteria for disrupting the oil market is that enough EVs are added to the fleet in a year to offset consumption 1 mb/d, which is roughly how much consumption is expected rise each year. When EVs offset more than the growth opportunity, then consumption is declining. So roughly 25 typical ICE autos consume about 1 barrel of fuel per day, 42 gal * 22.5 mpg = 945 mile, divide by 25 cars is about 38 mi/d/car or 13.8k miles per year per car. You can play with avg mpg and mi/d and get back to about 25 cars consuming 1 barrel of fuel per day. Bloomberg also independently came up with the same ratio, but it's just a nice round number.

There is a question of whether the disruption criteria should be based on cumulative EVs in the global car parc, i.e. fleet, or the annual number. Bloomberg uses cumulative EVs at a threshold of 50M cars. This does offset about 2 mb/d in consumption, which is a big deal for crude market, but it make a big difference whether this cumulative amount happens in a few years or a few decades. If it takes 15 years to get to 50 M cumulative, oil consumption will have risen 13 mb/d or more over that time, and we still might not be at a place where annual consumption has leveled off. So I believe this is the wrong criteria. What I am concerned about is the point at which consumption levels off and begins to enter perpetual decline. Thus, my criteria is based on the annual increment of new EVs, not cumulative. Curiously when growth is about 50% annually then Bloomberg's and my criteria happen at about the same time. Growing at 50% when cumulative hits 50M, then the incremental over the next twelve months is another 25M.

I do think that tracking this criteria on annual GWh basis may be better than tracking counts of cars. Not all vehicles are equal in the amount of fuel they would use per day. A semi truck is going to need a lot more fuel per day than an personal metro car, but the semi is going to need a much bigger battery than the metro car. So if buyers select the battery size that best fit their use, then tracking GWh will more accurately reflect the daily offset of fuel. So as a reference case a typical car that goes about 38 mi/d @ 22.5 mpg will likely want about a 200 mile range battery or about 50 kWh. So now 25 cars * 50 kWh/car = 1250 kWh to offset 1 b/d, or 1250 GWh per 1 mb/d.

The other reason I like tracking EV GWh is that is does not matter what sort of electric vehicle mix we have HEV vs BEV. The more GWh of batteries put into vehicles, the more oil will ultimately be offset, even though some may cycle their batteries more quickly. The key issue is ramping up productive battery capacity and utilizing it. Even batteries in gas only hybrids are reducing oil consumption, and the manufacturing capacity making those batteries could just as well make batteries for EVs instead. Economics and consumer choice can work out the best use of battery capacity going forward.

So if we like tracking GWh, then the good news is that production is growing at 76% this year. Even if vehicle unit sales are not growing that fast, it just means that consumers are demanding bigger batteries for their vehicles. This is what must happen as consumers switch from hybrids to BEVs, and from short range BEVs like the LEAF to full range vehicles like the Model S. This migration also suggests that consumers are leaving gas vehicles behind. So increasing kWh/car is part of the necessary evolution of EVs. With density doubling every 10 years, it's hard to tell where this may plateau. If 100 kWh/car average in 2030, why not 150 kWh/car in 2040? But clearly as average kWh/veh increases it is harder for oil to compete. EVs become incredibly capable and venture into every niche. So growing GWh at about 75% per year is desirable and can be sustained for at least a decade.

Hey, Neroden, thanks for digging up my regression model. In the midst of writing I did not want to break to find that again, but it really is helpful here. So basically we are presently within range of $2.1/gal retail. So it clearly is compatible with crude around $45/b. If oil stays near $45/b, it's a big question for the industry how much supply can be maintained. Natural decline is about 6% per year. So that seems like a lot of supply to replace each year. So if $45/b is only enough to bring on about 5 mb/d in replacement, not the full 5.75 mb/d needed, then the total supply begins to decline. It gets confusing at this point that if we are talking about peak demand or peak supply. But really this is peak demand, because the market is only willing to pay $45/b or find cheaper alternatives like EVs and hybrids. If the market is willing to pay $100/b, then of course supply can be increased for a while. So demand question is how much is the market willing to pay to bring on an extra 1 mb/d of supply.

So my basic criteria for disrupting the oil market is that enough EVs are added to the fleet in a year to offset consumption 1 mb/d, which is roughly how much consumption is expected rise each year. When EVs offset more than the growth opportunity, then consumption is declining. So roughly 25 typical ICE autos consume about 1 barrel of fuel per day, 42 gal * 22.5 mpg = 945 mile, divide by 25 cars is about 38 mi/d/car or 13.8k miles per year per car. You can play with avg mpg and mi/d and get back to about 25 cars consuming 1 barrel of fuel per day. Bloomberg also independently came up with the same ratio, but it's just a nice round number.

There is a question of whether the disruption criteria should be based on cumulative EVs in the global car parc, i.e. fleet, or the annual number. Bloomberg uses cumulative EVs at a threshold of 50M cars. This does offset about 2 mb/d in consumption, which is a big deal for crude market, but it make a big difference whether this cumulative amount happens in a few years or a few decades. If it takes 15 years to get to 50 M cumulative, oil consumption will have risen 13 mb/d or more over that time, and we still might not be at a place where annual consumption has leveled off. So I believe this is the wrong criteria. What I am concerned about is the point at which consumption levels off and begins to enter perpetual decline. Thus, my criteria is based on the annual increment of new EVs, not cumulative. Curiously when growth is about 50% annually then Bloomberg's and my criteria happen at about the same time. Growing at 50% when cumulative hits 50M, then the incremental over the next twelve months is another 25M.

I do think that tracking this criteria on annual GWh basis may be better than tracking counts of cars. Not all vehicles are equal in the amount of fuel they would use per day. A semi truck is going to need a lot more fuel per day than an personal metro car, but the semi is going to need a much bigger battery than the metro car. So if buyers select the battery size that best fit their use, then tracking GWh will more accurately reflect the daily offset of fuel. So as a reference case a typical car that goes about 38 mi/d @ 22.5 mpg will likely want about a 200 mile range battery or about 50 kWh. So now 25 cars * 50 kWh/car = 1250 kWh to offset 1 b/d, or 1250 GWh per 1 mb/d.

The other reason I like tracking EV GWh is that is does not matter what sort of electric vehicle mix we have HEV vs BEV. The more GWh of batteries put into vehicles, the more oil will ultimately be offset, even though some may cycle their batteries more quickly. The key issue is ramping up productive battery capacity and utilizing it. Even batteries in gas only hybrids are reducing oil consumption, and the manufacturing capacity making those batteries could just as well make batteries for EVs instead. Economics and consumer choice can work out the best use of battery capacity going forward.

So if we like tracking GWh, then the good news is that production is growing at 76% this year. Even if vehicle unit sales are not growing that fast, it just means that consumers are demanding bigger batteries for their vehicles. This is what must happen as consumers switch from hybrids to BEVs, and from short range BEVs like the LEAF to full range vehicles like the Model S. This migration also suggests that consumers are leaving gas vehicles behind. So increasing kWh/car is part of the necessary evolution of EVs. With density doubling every 10 years, it's hard to tell where this may plateau. If 100 kWh/car average in 2030, why not 150 kWh/car in 2040? But clearly as average kWh/veh increases it is harder for oil to compete. EVs become incredibly capable and venture into every niche. So growing GWh at about 75% per year is desirable and can be sustained for at least a decade.

So how many Models S have to be sold to offset oil growth?

in a normal commodities market, producers don't with-hold production to increase prices, because that simply helps their competitors. Saudi's swing role in OPEC is driven by political aims, not normal commercial intent.

Texas shale oil has fought Saudi Arabia to a standstill
USA shale has taken much of the swing role away from Saudi, much of the political prestige that is part of that swing role is also dissipating. Whats left is a normal commodity producer, a normal commodity producer produces what they can produce. Coal has been a normal commodity producer for 2 centuries. Gas is normal commodity producer when sourced from non oil locations. Qatar, Australia etc.

the world's 4th largest shipbuilder recently filed for bankruptcy (27th May), why? the collapse in offshore oil production investments. Offshore oil is the meat in middle between the 3 way market fight between OPEC/Russia/US Shale.
Court Not Considers STX Offshore & Shipbuilding Liquidation

So how many Models S have to be sold to offset oil growth?
Well, roughly 25M per year. However, the luxury sedan market is not large enough for that. So Tesla needs the Models X and 3 to tap more segments. Also other EV makers are needed. Suppose that Tesla holds 20% of the EV market in mid-2020s. Then we're looking at needing about 5M Teslas per year plus 20M more vehicles from other EV makers. That about 58% annual unit growth for Tesla to hit this by 2025.

But looking at this from the GWh perspective, Tesla is in a better position. It will put about 6.8 GWh into cars this year (80k * 85kWh). So if 1250 GWh/yr nixes 1 mb/d oil demand, we'd need about 14.7 M 85-kWh Teslas per year. This works out long term as these batteries use up their cycle life, but if daily driving is still around 38 miles, then we don't have quite the impact in the first year of ownership. So basing the oil disruption criteria on GWh rather than unit sales retain some ambiguity about how quickly the impact on oil demand will be felt. This ambiguity exists for the unit based criteria as well, but in aggregate across a wide mix of vehicle types and usage I think the GWh criteria may be more accurate. Especially as consumers move away from range anxiety concerns (through amble charging infrastructure and experience), I do think that consumers will only by larger range vehicles if they truly intend to use that range. For example, when my wife and I bought our second Tesla we were much more content to by a 70 kWh than a 85 kWh because our experience told us we did not really need the extra range. So longer term, consumers will right-size their batteries.

Another way someone can go about this is to estimate the life time range of a battery in a specific car and assume that life range will be consumed in a certain number of years and match this to the miles per barrel a comparable ICEV might realize as the offset. This sort of approach also gives you a lifetime barrels per kWh offset for batteries. This ratio is key to the long-term disruption of oil.

That is, imagine that each battery is like a virtual oil well that will have some ultimate recovery of virtual barrels over the next 30 or so years. So the Gigafactory is like a oil producer who keeps drilling virtual oil wells. This virtual oil supply competes with other oil producers and displaces them over time. This sort of view does not tell us when the peak comes, but it does tell us how much Gigafactory capacity is needed to take market share from oil producers. Indeed at a certain GF capacity level there is no need to replace oil reserves, because each incremental barrel of oil discovered has already been replaced with lower cost future batteries. So the marginal value of oil reserves goes to zero.

in a normal commodities market, producers don't with-hold production to increase prices, because that simply helps their competitors. Saudi's swing role in OPEC is driven by political aims, not normal commercial intent.

Texas shale oil has fought Saudi Arabia to a standstill
USA shale has taken much of the swing role away from Saudi, much of the political prestige that is part of that swing role is also dissipating. Whats left is a normal commodity producer, a normal commodity producer produces what they can produce. Coal has been a normal commodity producer for 2 centuries. Gas is normal commodity producer when sourced from non oil locations. Qatar, Australia etc.

the world's 4th largest shipbuilder recently filed for bankruptcy (27th May), why? the collapse in offshore oil production investments. Offshore oil is the meat in middle between the 3 way market fight between OPEC/Russia/US Shale.
Court Not Considers STX Offshore & Shipbuilding Liquidation

Hey, Renim, regarding Pioneer, you might want to check this out:

Pioneer’s $2 Operating Costs: Fact Or Fiction? | OilPrice.com

Pioneer has be projecting a lot of bravado lately.

Here's what's messing with my head here: I figure the heaviest gasoline users -- the highest-mileage drivers, driving the largest and heaviest cars -- will actually switch first. The highest-mileage users have the best financial payback. The drivers of the largest and heaviest cars are in the highest price bracket and least sensitive to upfront price, *or* they're for-hire and very high mileage. Taxi and limo fleets, for instance -- many limo fleets have already concluded that switching to a Tesla is highly profitable for them. Displacing the heaviest fuel users first should accelerate the process more than if the average car was being replaced.

There is a question of whether the disruption criteria should be based on cumulative EVs in the global car parc, i.e. fleet, or the annual number.
Well, each car replaced causes a permanent displacement of oil demand every year, so if you're looking at total demand displacement seems much more logical to look at the cumulative displacement....

So if 25 cars displace one barrel of oil per day... this happens *for the entire lifetime of those cars*. They'll still be displacing oil in 10 years. We won't see electric cars replacing old electric cars for quite a while. At that point the cumulative EV count stops working quite as well.

I suppose if you're looking at percentage changes, however, the cars produced last year already caused their demand cut (even though that demand cut is sticking around). You want to hit the point where the demand cut each year exceeds the supply cut each year, so you want the *new* offset to exceed the 5%-6% decline rate of the oilfields. So you're comparing the derivative of total EVs on the road to the derivative of total oil supply.

You want 6% of the oil supply to equal the displacement from new EVs. Let oil supply in the year of crossover be B barrels/day. B *.06 is the number of barrels which must be displaced by new EVs that year. Using 25 cars == 1 barrel/day, B * .06 * 25 is the number of cars which must be produced that year. So B * 1.5. Currently 96 million barrels demand, so if it happened this year it would require 144 million cars per year. This is incorrect, though. First of all, it won't happen this year; it'll happen in a future year which may have lower oil supply. Lower oil supply means that the crossover happens at a lower number of cars per year. I think this is important, because it shows a perhaps-unexpected interaction of peak supply and peak demand phenomena.

In about 6 years, the world oil supply should have declined to 66 million barrels based on the 6% decline rate; although there will be additional exploration, fracked wells and oil sands will decline *much* faster so this is probably an overestimate of oil supply. This would of course call for only 100 million electric cars per year.

I find about 550,000 EVs and plug-ins sold worldwide in 2015 (from insideevs). The thing I can't possibly estimate is the growth rate in production.

There was a global 61% growth rate, which I consider conservative looking forward. China seems to have had an over-200% growth rate. The number of Chinese companies putting out models and aiming for 50,000/year off the bat is large. Jose Pontes at ev-sales.blogspot.com thinks that Kandi and BAIC can match BYD, who are already outproducing Tesla. Several other Chinese companies are seriously trying, as well, with no less than *six* other Chinese companies outselling Tesla in China. The growth rates here are phenomenal.

If we look at batteries, we have Tesla/Panasonic, BYD, LG Chem/various, AESC/Nissan/Renault, Mitsubishi/GS Yuasa, Samsung/Various, Epower/?, Beijing Pride Power/?, Air Lithium/Kandi, Wanxiang/? . Obviously BYD is trying to grow as fast as Tesla/Panasonic. LG Chem seems to be limited by the recalcitrance of tus carmaker customers. The AESC partnership may be ending and Nissan may be throwing in with LG. I don't see much hope for the Mitsubshi partnership to expand. The Chinese companies at the bottom of the list, however, may attempt to expand as fast as BYD and Tesla: they know who their competition is.

Based on the top ten batterymakers, the car battery market grew up *74%* from 2014 to 2015.

OK, so here's another way to think about it. Each time the oil supply declines, it reduces the number of electric cars needed to displace the natural decline rates of the oil supply. The 6% decline rate is the moral equivalent of increasing the electric car supply by 6.38%, for the purposes of finding the crossover point. So add 6.38% (I'll use 6% to be conservative) to the projected growth rate of electric cars to figure out when we hit 144 million.
At a 61% growth rate, it takes 11 years. At a 74% growth rate, it takes 9 years. At a 150% growth rate, it takes only 6 years. At a 200% growth rate, it takes only 5 years.

So really, how fast we cross over is largely dependent on China. If China's growth rate of electric car production continues to accelerate, it'll be 5-6 years. If the world average growth rate continues, it'll be 9-11 years. If we slow down to a mere 50% growth rate and there is no decline in oil production, it could be 13 or 14 years.

This is why I feel safe in predicting the bankruptcy of the oil companies by 2030. The crossover point will definitely hit by then, and once it hits the oil price will drop through the floor, unless the decline rate of the oil fields is so much higher than 6% that they manage to lose an additional 20% of production (which will get them down to "non-automotive" levels of supply).

But if China's EV expansion really goes great guns, it could happen *much* quicker.

Probably already been seen but The World Nears Peak Fossil Fuels for Electricity.

Hard to believe oil demand is growing that fast, but then again it's not just cars that oil is used for. It will be interesting to see how fast electric cars gain popularity in the US v. China, I'm thinking China will "win" since they have more apparent need for it because of their smog and infrastructure realities, they have a few more people after all too.

Forgot to note. India's energy minister has stated that he intends to make India the first "100% electric car" country, by 2030. This could also lead to accelerated adoption of electric cars.

Hope they do it. I wonder if the switch might happen even faster in 2nd/3rd world countries that tend to use smaller/more economical cars just because the cost/benefit of electric could be pretty big in not too long. For example if somebody (probably not Tesla) starting going after the low end of solar/storage and electric cars, there are a lot of places where they would just start doing that instead of building a grid (which they don't have yet) in the first place. Or more poignantly the Model 3 will probably undercut a lot of ICE when it comes out, so one of the big Tesla demand drivers will be economy rather than prestige etc. Interesting times.

Something like this, for a start?
Zbee - Clean Motion
The company IPO'd in May and was oversigned six times, interest in 18M shares was 108M! The intention is to produce lightweight electric "tuktuks" locally in India and Indonesia using plastic boat tech (prototypes were built in a boat factory near Smögen and a few demos roll in central Gothenburg).

• Informative
svgz_q3_evbattery_ex1_rev4-png.188343

Battery technology charges ahead | McKinsey & Company

Hey, does anyone want to take a crack at reverse engineering how McKinsey got their dividing line between ICEV and EV? The slope looks about right to me, but I think the intercept is wrong. See what you can get.

Hey, does anyone want to take a crack at reverse engineering how McKinsey got their dividing line between ICEV and EV? The slope looks about right to me, but I think the intercept is wrong. See what you can get.

Don't have the time or energy right now. But did just notice that battery prices for that chart start with 150kwh...

So here's what I gather from the McKinsey chart. Theline separating BEVs and ICEVs seems to pass through ($150/kWh, $2.2/gal) and ($270/kWh, $3.4). So the slope is a rise of $1/gal per $100/kWh.

This slope seems fine if I make the following assumption: 25 mpg for ICE, 50 kWh battery pack, 0.24 kWh/mi, and 125k mile life range for both EV and ICEV. My variables are BatCost per kWh, ChargeCost per kWh, and ICEtoEVcostDiff. This last item is the cost difference of and ICE drive train to a comparable EV drive train excluding the battery cost. I think this should be several thousands of dollars, but this does not seem to agree with McKinsey as we will see. So this line should be approximately equal to this:

GasParity = 25 mpg ×((50 kWh × BatCost - ICEtoEVcostDiff)÷125000 mi + ChargeCost × 0.24 kWh/mi)
= BatCost/100 - ICEtoEVcostDiff/5000 + 6×ChargeCost.

So setting BatCost to $150, how do we back into reasonable values for the other two unknowns to get GasParity of $2.2/gal? ChargeCost should be close to the retail price of electricity, so 12 to 18 c/kWh are reasonable. So the battery cost of $150 contribute $1.50/gal while charging contributes $0.72 to $1.08 per gal. Taking a mid value $1/gal for charging, this leaves 2.2 - 1.5 - 1 = -0.3 for the drive train differential to explain, specifically ICEtoEVcostDiff = 5000×.3 = $1500. This seems a bit too low for me. It seems it should be at least $3000. Does anyone have good sources on this? An extra $1500 would push the parity line down an extra $0.30/gal, which is nontrivial. It's an extra $12.6/b reduction in crude prices!

I have heard that when batteries get to $100/kWh that we have parity in the coat to build an EV, no sticker price difference, all else equal. If that is true then ICEtoEVcostDiff = 50 × $100 = $5000. If true, this has a devastating implication for oil. This implies
GasParity = BatCost / 100

I've done a little more work on modeling the average US retail gas price to WTI crude and find a very good fit for this relationship.

RetailGas = $1.17 + WTI/42
WTI = 42×gasoline - $49

So imagine this parity

WTIparity = 0.42×BatCost - 49

I believe Tesla is currently at about $180/kWh, will soon reach $150, and will hit $100 by 2020. This is at parity with $27/b, $14, and -$7, respectively for crude, and $1.80/gal, $1.50, $1.00 for retail gasoline. Now it may take other EV makers longer to get to these price points at enough volume to drive oil down to parity levels. But it does mean that Tesla is on winning side of parity even now.

It is curious that Tesla is clear that it does not want to pursue models more affordable than the Model 3. It may not need too. At the low end of the auto market, auto makers will cut all sorts of corners to make these cars competitive. And auto makers will be desperate to find buyers for ICE cars. Moreover, they will be desperate to bring electrics to market. So the economy end of the market will be absolutely saturated. It is not necessary for Tesla to make parity cars in all segments or any segment. Rather the economics of parity give Tesla cost advantage in all segments, and it can choose which segments are attractive to enter.

So back to McKinsey. Their analysis seems to suggest that batteries even at $0/kWh would have support for gasoline at $0.7/gal. Their curve may be as much as $0.7 too high, which means their assessment of parity for crude may be $29/b too high.

when that chart first came out, the report with it didn't include how they arrived at that chart. I felt its assumption were probably would be more revealing than the results. anyway, LG cells are about $150/kWh today. would a GM Malibu handle having 60kWh of cells in (60 x 150) ie $9,000 cost added to the price over a 3 year lease? Does the chart reflect how a PHEV like Mitsubishi is around the same price as a diesel AWD equivalent?

Even though the chart handles a range of outcomes, the market is far more diverse than the assumptions in that chart. That chart is really a study in assumptions, but the assumptions were not given. What can be seen from the market is that the more expensive the ICE is, the easier the task for BEV/PHEV is to exceed it in value. And the reverse is true.

Its easy for a Tesla S to be better than a Mercedes S class. Its hard for a I-MiEV to be better than another Kei class car. That has massive implications for the differences in vehicle electrification between China and India for example.