Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, seems that these refineries are now owned by a joint venture... which went bankrupt in early 2018. Maybe they were cutting corners. They're still not financially sound.

A U Penn study apparently warned that they might close the refinery within 4 years. Think this might accelerate it?
They've been losing millions each month, but somehow are setup to always make their investors money that's all I know. Super shady.

A lot of folks are linking this to the newly approved LNG export depot in South Philly and asking a lot of safety questions. Should be an interesting next 18 months around here.

All Philly refineries have been walking dead since 2009, it's just a matter if how long they can convince fed/state/city officials to keep the jobs alive. With renewable alternatives finally accelerating in PA, that logic isn't gonna fly anymore.

I think this will seriously jeopardize the LNG plant too.

Little tiny insignificant explosion at the Sunoco refinery in South Philly this morning. Nothing major.

I think there will be more and more occurrences like this;

Detached executives cutting costs at all levels of the oil extraction and delivery processes is sure to result in more catastrophic events.

I'm glad I now have a choice in energy choices for my vehicle, and don't have to pick the one that is based on transporting and processing a volatile flammable substance.

Should be a very interesting week for the oil markets. We were on the fast-track to $55 Brent literally the day before the last tanker was "attacked", and here we sit at $65 with the same supply/demand dynamics and the "Iranian threat" called out as complete bs. Last week's US stockpiles report was flat, I expect this week's to be +~5M and it'll send the markets back to their rational levels.

The Philadelphia refinery(largest on the East Coast) is down, but I believe that rolls on mostly imported crude? 335kb/day out of the refining mix.

• Informative
Reactions: Boomer19
Long detailed analysis of peak oil factors
Peak Oil Review: 24 June 2019 - Resilience

Contents
1. Oil and the Global Economy
2. The Middle East & North Africa
3. China
4. Russia
5. Mexico
6. Venezuela
7. The Briefs

(Lots of information and analysis... A few highlights...)

EU carmakers have to sell more EVs as new emission targets loom. Most analysts think a number of car companies are at serious risk of failing to achieve the targets, and some are calling it the biggest threat in a generation for an industry already battered by global tariff disputes, disrupted cross-border supply chains and fading demand in Europe and Asia. (6/22)

Winners and losers: As disaster costs keep rising nationwide, a troubling new debate has become urgent: If there’s not enough money to protect every coastal community from the effects of human-caused global warming, how should we decide which ones to save first? After three years of brutal flooding and hurricanes in the US, there is growing consensus among policymakers and scientists that coastal areas will require significant spending to ride out future storms and rising sea levels — not in decades, but now and in the very near future. (6/20)

• Informative
Reactions: canoemore
Long detailed analysis of peak oil factors
Peak Oil Review: 24 June 2019 - Resilience

Contents
1. Oil and the Global Economy
2. The Middle East & North Africa
3. China
4. Russia
5. Mexico
6. Venezuela
7. The Briefs

(Lots of information and analysis... A few highlights...)

EU carmakers have to sell more EVs as new emission targets loom. Most analysts think a number of car companies are at serious risk of failing to achieve the targets, and some are calling it the biggest threat in a generation for an industry already battered by global tariff disputes, disrupted cross-border supply chains and fading demand in Europe and Asia. (6/22)

Winners and losers: As disaster costs keep rising nationwide, a troubling new debate has become urgent: If there’s not enough money to protect every coastal community from the effects of human-caused global warming, how should we decide which ones to save first? After three years of brutal flooding and hurricanes in the US, there is growing consensus among policymakers and scientists that coastal areas will require significant spending to ride out future storms and rising sea levels — not in decades, but now and in the very near future. (6/20)

I think an exclusion list of which cities to NOT protect is in order. Mar-a-lago should be first on that list.

Thinking more about US commercial stock reports this week and next.....there's no possible way to avoid a big jump in inventories with the nation's 2nd largest refinery out of the mix, right? The Brent/WTI spread is also a bit tighter than normal.

Is this not a clear opportunity to short WTI with a target date of say...end of next week?

WTI's been hovering $57.80 - $58.20, lets see what happens by the 5th. Rational pricing has it crashing down through $50 if there weren't all this nonsense going on.

Reactions: neroden
Winners and losers: As disaster costs keep rising nationwide, a troubling new debate has become urgent: If there’s not enough money to protect every coastal community from the effects of human-caused global warming, how should we decide which ones to save first?
Not a correct framing of the question -- because this isn't a centrally planned economy, for better or worse.

The ones which get saved are going to be the ones which have local money to save themselves, or sufficient national political clout to get money from other communities. Based on that, I can pretty much predict which ones will get saved.

Not a correct framing of the question -- because this isn't a centrally planned economy, for better or worse.

The ones which get saved are going to be the ones which have local money to save themselves, or sufficient national political clout to get money from other communities. Based on that, I can pretty much predict which ones will get saved.
Not a centrally planned economy but pretty much all disaster relief is Federal. FEMA should plan for this but they seem mostly incompetent.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Hydroelectric dams, solar panels and wind turbines generated almost 68.5 million megawatt-hours of power in April, eclipsing the 60 million that coal produced that month, Energy Information Administration data released late Tuesday show. That’s the most clean power the U.S. has ever made -- and the least coal it has burned for power in years.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Hydroelectric dams, solar panels and wind turbines generated almost 68.5 million megawatt-hours of power in April, eclipsing the 60 million that coal produced that month, Energy Information Administration data released late Tuesday show. That’s the most clean power the U.S. has ever made -- and the least coal it has burned for power in years.
Coal continues its inexorable decline, but the real story is NG, not renewables. On a TTM basis, in TWh (see bottom of table):

Coal -77
NG +157
Hydro -11
Solar +15
Wind, etc. +5

Since nuclear also declined 7 TWh, non-emitting generation was basically flat while fossil generation gained market share. Renewable-friendly web sites are full of happy anecdotes, but the numbers tell a much more sobering story. Wind has stalled out and 2019 might even be an unprecedented down year. Solar's growth rate has fallen below 20%. This isn't how S curves behave at 9% market share.

Since nuclear also declined 7 TWh, non-emitting generation was basically flat while fossil generation gained market share. Renewable-friendly web sites are full of happy anecdotes, but the numbers tell a much more sobering story. Wind has stalled out and 2019 might even be an unprecedented down year. Solar's growth rate has fallen below 20%. This isn't how S curves behave at 9% market share.
Amen. All the joke solar companies were cheering 2.7GW of installs for 1Q19. That's:

A) Peanuts relative to what we should be installing simply for rational economic reasons, not even thinking of this as an ecological or geopolitical emergency.

B) Pathetic relative to what we have the ability to manufacture and install with 1% the effort and resources we put into the pointless Iraq War.

Coal continues its inexorable decline, but the real story is NG, not renewables. On a TTM basis, in TWh (see bottom of table):

Coal -77
NG +157
Hydro -11
Solar +15
Wind, etc. +5

Wind hasn't stalled out.
Wind generation has been down YTD compared to last year because it's dependent on weather and early 2018 was windy, while later 2018 and early 2019 wasn't.
Compared to 2017 YTD it's still 15% higher.
Taking a longer trend to try to eliminate the weather variation, there's still rapid growth.

Despite the low generation in later 2018 and early 2019, rolling 12 months wind generation is up 2%.
April 2019 was up 12% compared to 2018 and up 23% compared to 2017.

PV solar generation is up YTD by 9%, and up 17% rolling 12 months (cloudy winter), but capacity is much lower than wind and growing more slowly, although it's long-term trend is greater than that of wind, despite having to deal with tariffs.

Planned net utility capacity additions for next 12 months:
Wind: +12.5GW (+12.8%)
Solar (utility): +6.4GW (+19.5%)
Natural Gas CCGT: +7.4GW (+2.8%)
Natural Gas CT: +1.0GW (+0.8%)
Natural Gas Steam Turbine: -2.0GW (-2.8%)
Coal: -4.6GW (-1.9%)
Nuclear: -2.5GW (-.2.5%)

(Last 12 months:
Wind +7.9GW.
Solar +4.4GW.
Natural Gas +12.5GW.)

So over the next 12 months, we'll see natural gas replacing a lot of coal and nuclear capacity, with growth in wind and solar capacity replacing the rest, and accounting for more than greater than the increase in overall generation.

But it's actually a significant year for renewables because the nameplate capacity additions are going to be relatively large for wind and solar, while overall conventional generation capacity (fossil + nuclear) is going to _decrease_.

The shift from coal to natural gas is a big (and positive) story, but the increase in the renewable share of generation since 2009 has been 61% of the increase in natural gas' share, so it's not as if natural gas' increase should be a dominant story, especially given the continued fall in renewable generation prices.

EIA figures for last week are out, massive 13Mb draw in crude inventories is driving prices upward, but not by much. Perhaps it's because last week was also the largest US net export week since late fall 1944.

Lol....the #1 consumer posts it's largest net export since the big one, and prices go up. These algos are a joke.

I agree with the sentiment, but I think there's also a nuance in the US oil consumption / export numbers that is also important to remember, and that will account for some of that "#1 consumer posts it's largest net export...". My understanding of refineries in America in general, and the Gulf Coast region in particular, is that they are optimized for heavy crude oils. The heavy crude oils (again - my understanding - not a petroleum engineer here :)) tend to come from traditional wells (rather than fracking), and are also what Venezuela (noteworthy for the US as it's one reason the Gulf Coast refiners optimized around heavy oils - not the only supplier by any means) mostly supplies. I've read that Venezuelan oil is so heavy / thick, they import crude that is on the lighter side (such as US fracked oil) to blend with their oil, and then export the blend (given that they're exporting anything these days :)).

Anyway - each refinery is optimized around particular grades of oil, which I'll simplify to heavy and light for this comment (sweet / sour being the other important vector I know about). Refineries can be changed between the two, but it's a significant capital expense that's only reasonable to pursue because it's cheaper than building a new refinery. And you don't make the change for a few months or a few years - it's a change that you need to be confident about for years to pay for the capital expense.

Anyway - the Gulf Coast refineries tended to optimization for heavy crude, but the big increase in US crude in recent years is on the light side as that's what you get out of tight oil deposits / fracking. That oil can be used by the refineries optimized for heavy oil, but not well. So it ends up being desirable to export the light oil we're producing a lot of, and importing the heavy oil that the refineries are optimized for. Heck - it might even be good on the shipping front as ships can bring heavy oil and unload it - and then load up light oil to carry away, thereby carrying a cargo in both directions instead of running empty in one direction.

The short version being - crude oil isn't a single monolithic thing. It's different from each well, from each region / country, etc.. We tend to think and talk about crude oil like it's a single commodity - it's really more like 40+ different very similar commodities with varying degrees of substitution among the different flavors.

This link on oilprice will provide a sense of how many different flavors of oil there are:
Oil Price Charts | Oilprice.com

Admittedly - many of the price differences are more about the supply, demand, and transportation in and out of a region for that region's oil and less about the grade / consistency / makeup of the oil.

Anyway, TEXAS by itself has 15 different oils priced on that list :) I think I see over 100 different prices / oils on that list - not just the WTI vs Brent 2 biggies that we usually use to talk about oil.

The other major vector for classifying oils is sweet vs. sour.
Petroleum - Classification - Sweet vs SourPetroleum - Classification - Sweet vs Sour

This has to do with the sulfur content, with low sulfur content (sweet) being desirable (typically) for refiners, and about to become more desirable with the marine regulations having to do with sulfur content of the fuel being burned in maritime use becoming regulated in 2020.

EDIT: More reading got me to this page:
Petroleum - Classification - Benchmarks

It indicates there are more than 161 benchmark oils.

On the same site, here's a longer read by people that know what they're talking about, concerning the classification of oil:
Petroleum Classification | what is the clasification of petroleum

Not a centrally planned economy but pretty much all disaster relief is Federal. FEMA should plan for this but they seem mostly incompetent.
FEMA has nowhere near enough money and I don't think the budget will be increased enough to cover all of it.

NYC is building their own protections, now. Boston is planning to but hasn't really started. Other cities... well... I can't think of any major projects :-(