Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oil is moving up again. WTI crude is at $41.39. This also matches Brent crude exactly. Usually Brent is at a substantial premium to WTI, though opening US exports has reduced that somewhat. So having these prices so close leaves me suspicious that the US oil traders are a bit too optimistic. I'm waiting for oil to hit $42 before I buy more SCO.

I'm a bit surprised no one has commented on the spreadsheet I put out above.

Oil is moving up again. WTI crude is at $41.39. This also matches Brent crude exactly. Usually Brent is at a substantial premium to WTI, though opening US exports has reduced that somewhat. So having these prices so close leaves me suspicious that the US oil traders are a bit too optimistic. I'm waiting for oil to hit $42 before I buy more SCO.

I'm a bit surprised no one has commented on the spreadsheet I put out above.
lol the size of my account is too small to bother with hedging at all.

I have a question jhm - I don't recall if you have tested correlation between Tesla and oil (or the particular instrument you're using) very far back. My question amounts to - for how far back, historically, have you found a strong enough correlation between the two for you to choose to act?

I don't have a strong opinion about Tesla/oil correlation (I can argue a few different sides qualitatively), but it seems like the last few months have been much more a story about strong broad stock market correlation with oil, with Tesla going along for the ride with the broader market.

I suppose the conclusion this leads me to is this that to the degree this is true, then you've got a market hedge.

Also to be clear, this is primarily a question of curiousity. In one of your earlier posts, I believe you talked about the possibility of Tesla and oil getting disconnected, and oil staying flat or dropping, while Tesla continues to rise. I consider that to be a reasonable scenario, in which case you're winning on both sides of your trade. I am also in agreement about the upper bound on the price of oil that is working it's way in.

I am starting to wonder at what point the world has no more storage for oil available and what happens then? There is a velocity and inertia to this stuff as it is pulled up and moved around. Filling up world storage for oil may force a slowdown or shutdown of oil wells simply because there's nowhere to put the stuff :)

I have a question jhm - I don't recall if you have tested correlation between Tesla and oil (or the particular instrument you're using) very far back. My question amounts to - for how far back, historically, have you found a strong enough correlation between the two for you to choose to act?

I don't have a strong opinion about Tesla/oil correlation (I can argue a few different sides qualitatively), but it seems like the last few months have been much more a story about strong broad stock market correlation with oil, with Tesla going along for the ride with the broader market.

I suppose the conclusion this leads me to is this that to the degree this is true, then you've got a market hedge.

Also to be clear, this is primarily a question of curiousity. In one of your earlier posts, I believe you talked about the possibility of Tesla and oil getting disconnected, and oil staying flat or dropping, while Tesla continues to rise. I consider that to be a reasonable scenario, in which case you're winning on both sides of your trade. I am also in agreement about the upper bound on the price of oil that is working it's way in.

I am starting to wonder at what point the world has no more storage for oil available and what happens then? There is a velocity and inertia to this stuff as it is pulled up and moved around. Filling up world storage for oil may force a slowdown or shutdown of oil wells simply because there's nowhere to put the stuff :)
Well, if you start with the monthly file I posted above and compute monthly relative changes for both TSLA and SCO, you can also computer rolling 12 month correlation. This data goes back to June 2010. Virtually every rolling correlation is negative, all but the very first 12 months. It does very a bit over time, so this suggests that an adaptive hedge ratio may be more suitable. Even so this looks like fairly consistent correlation. One little point I would add is that it helps to look at returns over a longer period of time, like several weeks to month or two. Daily price changes are not as strong.

So I feel pretty good about this relationship, especially if the hedge ratio is adaptive.

Now there are lots of reasons why such a correlation might exist. Oil is in fact a major macro economic variable. My view is that oil can drive stock market prices, but I am less inclined to see stock market prices as a driver of oil prices. Oil and gas stocks are about 20% of the stock market. Clearly the price of oil has a causal impact on the valuations of oil related stocks.

So while the stock market and oil are correlated, I have distinct views on what risks I'm interested in hedging against. Clearly, Tesla is a high beta stock with respect to the stock market; however, I am not interested in hedging against that risk, at least not under normal circumstances. The reason is that the market risk is in fact the nondiversifiable risk that creates most of the value of holding stock, any stock. So if I do not wish to hold market risk, I simply should not hold any stock. Oil price risk, however, is a specific macroeconomic risk to certain stocks that I do not wish to have in excess. The basic fact that I can construct a portfolio of TSLA and SCO which is nearly uncorrelated with oil and which yeilds favorable to holding TSLA by itself is suggestive that oil risk may be a diversifiable risk. And such a diversifiable risk is ultimately not rewarded under an efficient market. In the case of Tesla I am in fact will to suspend belief in an efficient market, and this provides an even stronger rationale for hedging the position. So the essential question is whether a hedged Tesla portfolio provides better risk adjusted returns than an unhedged position. If so, the market cannot be expected to reward you for holding unhedged risk.

My longterm view is that Tesla will eventually become uncorrelated with oil price risk. Indeed, as Tesla disrupts oil it may become negatively correlated. But even this will fall to the wayside as oil withdraws from the energy market and fueling vehicles. Oil will be a great source of asphalt and petrochemical long after we cease to use it as a fuel. So the super long view is no oil risk for Tesla. It's really hard to tell how soon oil and Tesla may decouple. I do rather suspect that oil price declines embolden shorts to attack the stock and oil increases can embolden longs to drive up the price. Especially if this is working as a driver of sentiment, I want to hedge this. If there are deeper issues like the value of the US Dollar, general economic demand, global security, and other issues, then it is not a bad hedge to have. For example, the US dollar is quite strong right now, this is in fact a real risk for Tesla. It forces Tesla to raise prices in other currencies and so impedes exports. Why not have a little hedge against currency risk?

My hope is that other folks will explore different sorts of hedges for anything that concerns them and will share their ideas. My own Tesla position has become too large for me not to consider a variety of risk reduction strategies. Many of the folks who actively trade Tesla want to dodge in and out of a long position depending on their read of circumstances. This is not my style. So if ever I become concerned that the oil market might tank and take Tesla with it, I am very glad that I can hedge that risk in lieu of selling off shares or buying puts. I suppose in this light a stock market hedge could be worthwhile too. So staring down a bear market one can short the market in lieu of selling off Tesla shares. So I keep this in mind as we encounter different macroeconomic headwinds. Short term hedges can have tactical uses. In the case of oil price risk we may be justified in holding a continuous hedge, but certainly it can be useful as a short term hedge regardless.

Indeed, I am concerned about oil getting too close to $50 and triggering a massive fall below $25. I believe such an event would take a big bite out of TSLA prices as happened earlier this year. So this is a specific short term risk that leads me to accumulate a hedge against. In fact, I bought more SCO today and the value if my hedge is now about 2.6% of my Tesla holding. I plan to buy more hedge as oil creeps up to $44 and $46. I may even over-hedge if oil goes to $50. April 17 will probably lead to a collapse of oil, if this run up continues.

Oh, yeah, regarding storage, there's alot of floating storage, oil carriers being used for storage. It costs about $6.80 for six months of storage on a ship. The contango from the second month out to seventh is a spread of about $3. So the contango is becoming critically shallow. Floating storage could unload on the market anytime.

Also shale producers have a lot of DUCs (wells drilled but uncompleted) that they will complete and bring on line while oil is over $40.

So oil above $40 just cannot last long. The market will get flooded and crash all over again.

I'm hitting the paywall, but the basic concern is correct. Actually the futures curve is only about $50 for 2020 and $52 2024. The problem with debt is that it can impact the financial markets and banks. So this goes some distance in explaining why financials are becoming correlated with oil.

Renewable energy operations drowning in sea of cheap oil

Wow, this is an astounding example of how confused investors are about renewables and oil. The connection in investor's heads is "psychological" at best, but this article tries to conflate cheap oil with withdrawal of government support.

Anyway I only post this here as an example of the kind of ignorance that passes for market wisdom. I suspect there are operatives that want to boost this kind of propaganda. So hedging oil as we are discussing here is one way to exploit and counteract such operations. Perhaps I am being too suspicious here, but even honest ignorance can be exploited and counteracted.

Reactions: neroden and Tenable
Excellent contribution to the forum jhm. Your posts here and elsewhere are much appreciated. Don't let a lack of counter posts indicate the value or interest level. It's not. Thanks for your sharing of knowledge, expertise, and thoughts.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Right now people are pretty excited about the run up in Tesla stock, and oil is causing little pain. But I hope this thread is a useful resource the next time oil crashes.

BTW, Tesla was down 1.7% while SCO was up 0.9%. Oil was down about 0.48%. So Tesla took a bigger fall than what oil alone might have triggered. Even so it's nice to have a little hedge on such days.

I've also been updating my data and fine tuning the way I derive my hedge ratio. I don't want to get into details now, but what I am seeing is that the hedge ratio has been trending upward as more of this dual rally of oil and Tesla filter in. I'm also back testing on 4 years instead of just two and finding that the advantages of hedging hold up over all 4 years and beat holding Tesla unhedged. Additionally, I find that using 29 trading day returns minimizes the daily volatility of hedged returns in 4 years if back testing. So all this leads me to a new hedge ratio of 0.20 up from the 0.126 I derived a few weeks ago.

Well, I guess that was guess that was alot of detail. I must be pretty excited to share this. So currently my own SCO hedge is at 2.7% of myTesla position. This is a far cry from the 20% hedge ratio that my analysis is leading me to, but I intend to take my time accumulating into that and gaining insight and confidence along the way.

All the best.

Something was rubbing we wrong with this and I think I'm getting to why. First, it looks like given articles above, spot oil or oil futures price is not a good hedge at all. Oil price can stay within the range mentioned and yet financials will drag the whole market down. Second, I don't think it's fair to single out oil as something to hedge against, at least long term. For me what I would want to hedge is the current idiotic "growth at any cost" mentality that pushes the economy to grossly misallocate capital and then crash when misallocation can not be sustained anymore. Oil development debt might be the next big one or something else, I don't know but I don't see how with the policies in place that kind of stuff won't happen again.

Alas,I'm by far not qualified to figure out what would be a good financial instrument for such a hedge.

Something was rubbing we wrong with this and I think I'm getting to why. First, it looks like given articles above, spot oil or oil futures price is not a good hedge at all. Oil price can stay within the range mentioned and yet financials will drag the whole market down. Second, I don't think it's fair to single out oil as something to hedge against, at least long term. For me what I would want to hedge is the current idiotic "growth at any cost" mentality that pushes the economy to grossly misallocate capital and then crash when misallocation can not be sustained anymore. Oil development debt might be the next big one or something else, I don't know but I don't see how with the policies in place that kind of stuff won't happen again.

Alas,I'm by far not qualified to figure out what would be a good financial instrument for such a hedge.
Range bound is conditional on the long end of the oil futures curve given the enormous inventory in storage. It takes massive capital just to hold that inventory. Suppose the strain that oil places on the economy increases to the point that even financials are compromised. Then the financing holding inventory in place also collapses. Specially the future curve collapses and inventory goes flooding into the market. This is the sort of thiNG that moves oil out of being range bound. The storage support that bounds oil above $25 collapses and oil falls well below. What we are talking about is a scenario where oil is no longer worth storing. My view is this day will come within ten years, but it is not likely just yet. So for the next few years oil is range bound by the economics of storage.

Now if it is in fact true that there is a massive over allocation of capital to oil development, then that alone is reason to short and hedge against it.

Thanks so much for commenting. If you are feeling like something is not quite adding up, keep raising those issues until we can get at the root of it. Oil is very deeply embedded in our economic and political world. So it raises all sorts of issues to contemplate its end. We have grown up in the age of oil. It's all we know. So if this is not disturbing at some level, we are probably not thinking deeply enough.

It's nice to be encouraged to participate even though I'm just an engineer getting a kick out of leaning this stuff, thank you jhm.

Now I want to get a bit more crisp with a few things, maybe you can point out where my thinking isn't straight.

The worst case scenario I see is with the hedge being a leveraged crude price short, is if crude price stays within range (likely will jump around a lot but say still between 30 and 50), but the weight of bankruptcies drags the whole market down. From what I can tell this is not an unlikely scenario: first, everyone keeps pumping as fast as they can to just stay afloat on their loans. Then some run out of operating capital and fold. Production falls a bit, storage spring starts to unwind a bit. Prices stay about the same. Damage to markets is being done due to massive write-offs. TSLA goes down on "macro fears", in this case both uncertainty of the extent of write-offs and the future of oil production (no new capacity sparks fears of price spikes down the road). Since prices stay the same more producers fold or post massive write-offs. Producers that stay around cut costs even more on existing capacity and pump even harder to stay afloat.

Eventually Saudis get their way, drive just about everyone out of business and we're back to $100/barrel, except now economy is *sugar* precisely for the reason it went to *sugar* before: high oil prices!

Reactions: Lessmog