Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shale CEO: U.S. Has Passed Peak Oil | OilPrice.com

At lease one US shale CEO thinks that US crude production will never see 13.1 mb/d again. The EIA see US production falling to a two-year low of 7.55mb/d in July. The industry could increase production steadily out to 2030 and still never see 13.1 mb/d again. The article does not discuss the demand side of this. But implicitly there seems to be the recognition that the price of oil will likely not go high enough to support ramping production to a new high.

There really is not much of a difference between peak consumption and peak production. One pretty much implies the other.

So if US shale never reaches to a new peak, how does global production reach a new peak? OPEC is not inclined to overproduce. Apart from US and OPEC, there aren't many places that can substantially ramp up production. Russia is perhaps one exception here. In any case, if OPEC+Russia opt for higher prices at sub-peak volumes, there may never be a new global peak of production or consumption.

What am I overlooking here?

Reactions: Dr. J and navguy12
US production is 11Mb/d, apparently 7-8M of which is shale. OPEC+ us pumping at 70% capacity or less. <-- No idea if that OPEC figure is close to right, but they're holding back tons of production.

What makes anyone think Russia or any of these other players are gonna continue with cuts past July, let alone years? At what point is Saudi Arabia gonna be forced to pivot into max production? They're losing share and limiting their total revenue every day they try to keep prices high.

The global glut is so absurd right now, it'll take years just to burn that off. They're acting like everything in July is fine and we're working back toward a balance. In reality, we're adding 10Mb to the glut every week, just in the US.

The math never pencils out unless you think demand will be growing from 2024-2034 and beyond. That's their narrative.

Reactions: navguy12 and jhm
US production is 11Mb/d, apparently 7-8M of which is shale. OPEC+ us pumping at 70% capacity or less. <-- No idea if that OPEC figure is close to right, but they're holding back tons of production.

What makes anyone think Russia or any of these other players are gonna continue with cuts past July, let alone years? At what point is Saudi Arabia gonna be forced to pivot into max production? They're losing share and limiting their total revenue every day they try to keep prices high.

The global glut is so absurd right now, it'll take years just to burn that off. They're acting like everything in July is fine and we're working back toward a balance. In reality, we're adding 10Mb to the glut every week, just in the US.

The math never pencils out unless you think demand will be growing from 2024-2034 and beyond. That's their narrative.
The competition for market share would in fact keep oil prices subdued. That's what puts US and other producers in a position to never recover production volume. It all comes down to the flow of capital. Ultimately Russia, Saudia Arabia and the rest of OPEC will find it hard to attract capital. When OPEC+ fail to keep the price of oil up, it will drive away capital. National oil companies may be able to secure capital from their governments, but even those governments are challenged to get the debt they need to operate other government functions. Oil states could be in a whole world of financial pain as low oil prices persist.

Covid concerns are certainly a macro headwind today and OPEC+ sounds ready to open the faucet starting Aug 1st. Somehow Chevron/Exxon are up 3% and WTI spiked to +1% from -2%. All I can see is this nonsensical gibberish....

Where's crude heading? Morgan Stanley says to watch the oil-gold ratio

DOW is up and tech is down, I guess it's as simple as that. Oil is apparently still in the "safe value stock" bundle for some reason. Weird.

Will be interesting to see if this rotation out of big tech and into DOW/Oil continues. Certainly couldn't fault the big institutions for thinking it's time.

Reactions: mspohr
There's no chance demand returns to 100Mb/d next year. Physically impossible.

I feel like the plan is to just drive these individual figures into algorithms. US producers keep saying it's gonna go way down....never does. Now SA is saying demand will fully rebound....literally zero probability.

I wish Wall Street analyst we're better at ignoring clear nonsense. I guess it's in everyone's interest to "believe".

There's no chance demand returns to 100Mb/d next year. Physically impossible.

I feel like the plan is to just drive these individual figures into algorithms. US producers keep saying it's gonna go way down....never does. Now SA is saying demand will fully rebound....literally zero probability.

I wish Wall Street analyst we're better at ignoring clear nonsense. I guess it's in everyone's interest to "believe".
If I read it correctly, OPEC is claiming *their* production will exceed 2019. They intend to wrest market share from non-OPEC(+?) producers, meaning frackers.

The competition for market share would in fact keep oil prices subdued. That's what puts US and other producers in a position to never recover production volume. It all comes down to the flow of capital. Ultimately Russia, Saudia Arabia and the rest of OPEC will find it hard to attract capital. When OPEC+ fail to keep the price of oil up, it will drive away capital. National oil companies may be able to secure capital from their governments, but even those governments are challenged to get the debt they need to operate other government functions. Oil states could be in a whole world of financial pain as low oil prices persist.

"Ultimately Russia, Saudia Arabia and the rest of OPEC will find it hard to attract capital."

If oil prices are a function of demand and supply shouldn't it be the other way around? Russia and Saudi Arabia depend on oil revenues to prop up the budget. If oil price is in 10s for 3 years both countries would go bankrupt technically. In order to remedy this Russia made ruble a free floating currency (essentially devalued it) Even though oil prices fell 50% Russia budget didnt not collapse because ruble fell by more. The idea here is who can take the most pain? Oil falls, ruble falls the budget of Russia stays the same. People of Russia are poorer bc Iphone now cost 65000 rubles instead of 25000 but as history shows Russians are resilient especially when they have a patriotic mood as they do now under Putin. Saudis are in a whole different situation that is hard to evaluate. What I am trying to say is that while demand is hard to predict - supply is not. US has chapter 11 bankruptcy laws which are our holy grail in this space, Russians have resilient populace that will put up with lower standards of living and Saudi's have cheap marginal costs of productions. Who is going to come out on top? Predicting the price of oil is a pointless errand in my opinion as the amount of players and nuances of each player are extremely hard to quantify.

Now to your point, capital is hard to come by in a situation where a borrowing entity enjoys CH11 bancrupcy laws. Capital is very easy to come by when production of oil is nationalized.

This could be! It is important to differentiate between global oil demand and net demand for OPEC oil. Net demand for OPEC oil is global demand minus non-OPEC supply. So for example if global demand returns to 97 mb/d (OPEC thinks higher) while non-OPEC production stays below 64 mb/d, then OPEC demand could be over 33 mb/d, which could be a new peak for the cartel.

For the last couple of year before Covid19, net demand for OPEC has been in post peak decline. I posted on that several times. The problem had always been that the price of oil was too high to expand OPEC demand. High oil prices were facilitating growth in US shale production while slowing global growth in consumption. Now Covid19 has kicked the wind out of the oil price, demand and non-OPEC production. So it is different ballgame for a while. But fundamentally, OPEC must decide if it is willing to trade off some price for net demand.

I have long felt that what OPEC needed to do was set a MAXIMUM price for oil. That is, it would signal to the rest of the world that whenever Brent went above a certain price, it would reliably increase production till it would bring the price back down. This is likely counterintuitive to most, including OPEC members, but the point would be to discourage investment in non-OPEC oil. For example, if a certain US shale producer knew that OPEC would never let the price remain above say $50/b, this would limit the upside potential for new projects, and investment cash could dry up. Instead, without this MAX, such a producer would assume that OPEC would always try to keep the oil price well over $50/b. In this case, investors would be convinced that OPEC would assure a positive return on investments in the US shale patch. It's always puzzled me how OPEC would bail out competitor investments time and again.

"Ultimately Russia, Saudia Arabia and the rest of OPEC will find it hard to attract capital."

If oil prices are a function of demand and supply shouldn't it be the other way around? Russia and Saudi Arabia depend on oil revenues to prop up the budget. If oil price is in 10s for 3 years both countries would go bankrupt technically. In order to remedy this Russia made ruble a free floating currency (essentially devalued it) Even though oil prices fell 50% Russia budget didnt not collapse because ruble fell by more. The idea here is who can take the most pain? Oil falls, ruble falls the budget of Russia stays the same. People of Russia are poorer bc Iphone now cost 65000 rubles instead of 25000 but as history shows Russians are resilient especially when they have a patriotic mood as they do now under Putin. Saudis are in a whole different situation that is hard to evaluate. What I am trying to say is that while demand is hard to predict - supply is not. US has chapter 11 bankruptcy laws which are our holy grail in this space, Russians have resilient populace that will put up with lower standards of living and Saudi's have cheap marginal costs of productions. Who is going to come out on top? Predicting the price of oil is a pointless errand in my opinion as the amount of players and nuances of each player are extremely hard to quantify.

Now to your point, capital is hard to come by in a situation where a borrowing entity enjoys CH11 bancrupcy laws. Capital is very easy to come by when production of oil is nationalized.
Yes, I granted the caveat about nationalized oil companies. They do enjoy privileged access to capital from the government, and that government may well be able to issue sovereign debt. The problem with devaluing your currency is that it really does nothing to attract foreign investment. Why should I as an US based investor buy sovereign debt from Russia denominated in rubles? It may be "risk-free" denominated in domestic currency, but if the ruble is steadily losing value in exchange for US dollars, the USD denominated return on that debt could be abysmal. Devaluing the ruble can decrease domestic labor costs, but it does little to attract foreign capital.

For country that is seriously dependent on oil exports, such a Venezuela, the price of oil becomes a kind of hard currency. A distressed oil producing country can attempt to attract capital by offering debt that is payable in oil. This can make sense when the domestic currency is too weak to attract investment payable in that currency and less risky than offering debt in USD or some other hard foreign currency. Russia and Saudi Arabia really do not want to end up like Venezuela. But these three economies are strongly linked to the price of oil since this is their dominant export. If they can't repay foreign debt with barrels of oil, with what else would they barter?

Reactions: navguy12
OPEC+ hits the refinery wall: John Kemp

Refiners are trapped between OPEC+, which wants to drain excess crude inventories as quickly as possible and drive oil prices higher, and sluggish consumption of gasoline and diesel.

Futures for U.S. gasoline delivered in September fell yesterday to less than $8 per barrel over Brent for delivery in the same month, down from more than $11 in late June.

Gasoline margins have been trending lower since June 23, after rebounding strongly over the previous three months as the major economies emerged from lockdown.

Shell: UK Could Achieve Goal To Ban Gasoline Cars Sales As Early As 2030 | OilPrice.com

Shell is recognizing that the UK could ban new ICE vehicle sales as early as 2030. And this would facilitate Shell becoming net zero by 2050.

I'm not sure what would limit this outlook just to the UK. It seems it would apply to all countries that have an adequate power grid.
Just a side note, we are switching electricity providers soon to a company called MP2 (which is the only company Tesla energy uses in this area). They are a local company here in the Dallas area that only uses solar and wind farms as there source of energy. Funny enough, they were bought by Shell a few years ago. I found out it's really just a financial backing for MP2 as they operate separately, but interesting none the less.

I found this whole article worth reading, but here are some selections.

The end of the Arab world’s oil age is nigh
Pain will be felt across the region

THEIR BUDGETS don’t add up anymore. Algeria needs the price of Brent crude, an international benchmark for oil, to rise to $157 dollars a barrel. Oman needs it to hit $87. No Arab oil producer, save tiny Qatar, can balance its books at the current price, around $40 (see chart).

So some are taking drastic steps. In May the Algerian government said it would slice spending in half. The new prime minister of Iraq, one of the world’s largest oil producers, wants to take an axe to government salaries. Oman is struggling to borrow after credit-rating agencies listed its debt as junk. Kuwait’s deficit could hit 40% of GDP, the highest level in the world. [...]

[...] The world’s economies are moving away from fossil fuels. Oversupply and the increasing competitiveness of cleaner energy sources mean that oil may stay cheap for the foreseeable future. The recent turmoil in oil markets is not an aberration; it is a glimpse of the future. The world has entered an era of low prices—and no region will be more affected than the Middle East and north Africa.

[...]

Remittances from energy-rich states are a lifeline for the entire region. More than 2.5m Egyptians, equal to almost 3% of that country’s population, work in Arab countries that export a lot of oil. Numbers are larger still for other countries: 5% from Lebanon and Jordan, 9% from the Palestinian territories. The money they send back makes up a sizeable chunk of the economies of their homelands. As oil revenue falls, so too will remittances. There will be fewer jobs for foreigners and smaller pay packets for those who do find work.

[...]

A Middle East less central to the world’s energy supplies will be a Middle East less important to America. Russia may fill the void in places, but its regional interests are narrow, such as its determination to preserve its Mediterranean port at Tartus in Syria. It does not wish to—and probably cannot—extend a security umbrella across the Arabian peninsula. China has tried to stay out of the region’s politics, pursuing only economic benefits: construction contracts in Algeria, port concessions in Egypt, a wide range of deals in the Gulf.

As Arab states become poorer, though, the nature of their relationship with China may change. This is already happening in Iran, where American sanctions have choked off oil revenue. Officials are discussing a long-term investment deal that could see Chinese firms develop everything from ports to telecoms. It is framed as a “strategic partnership”, but critics worry it could leave China in control of the infrastructure it builds, as it has in some indebted Asian and African countries. Falling oil revenue could force this model on Arab states—and perhaps complicate what remains of their relations with America.

[...]

Oman is struggling to borrow after credit-rating agencies listed its debt as junk. Kuwait’s deficit could hit 40% of GDP, the highest level in the world.
A few days ago we were discussing how even oil-export-dependend governments could find it hard to borrow. Apparently this is already happening. Imagine what credit rating Kuwait could get trying to borrow 40% of its oil-dependent GDP.