Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an anecdote to confirm this... People are fleeing San Francisco and the close in suburbs since they no longer need to work in the city or Peninsula offices. Suburbs further out are seeing high demand for houses. I live at Lake Tahoe which is also experiencing an huge influx of people from the city. All of the housing inventory has been sold above asking price.
Yeah, the exit from urban centers also confirms this shift. The flipside urban core housing becoming more affordable is that the exurbs become more attractive. If you could live anywhere and still do the same work, where would you live? Tahoe sounds like a lovely choice. As an Atlantan, I love to take family trips to Asheville, NC. We often talk about how nice it would be to live in the outlying area about Asheville. The only real catch is finding comparable employment to what we have in Atlanta. But if my wife and I were both sure that visits to the office would only be required a few days each quarter or less, the dream could become a reality.

Reactions: mspohr
Thanks! This is helpful. Oil & gas companies are going through a crisis with existential risk. This can also be a transformative period. We have discussed before how the cost of capital for FF projects has become substantially higher than that for renewable projects. This is essential to the impact of ESG and green investing. So I would not fault an oil company discovering that if they want capital to support their dividend, they've got to switch over to renewables.

Many places in your larger post I could use to take off from, but this is what I picked. Everything you describe about a sane path forward for the oil companies makes perfect sense to me.

Unfortunately, while that might be sane for the companies (as if they were their own independent, thinking entity, that wants to live on in this world), the companies don't have a will of their own. Instead they are run be executives who can (to some degree) see the writing on the wall and are figuring out how to lift as much cash from the company before they (and the company) are gone. Of course, that cash is investor cash and it shows up as stock, as bonuses, as incentives, but (MHO) amounts to looting of the company.

The incentives are all wrong for the oil majors to make a serious effort at surviving. At least until a few rounds of bankruptcy has wiped out the investors a few times and there's nothing left that's worth being public, but there's enough surviving income stream to make the residue worth a hedge fund or private owner buying just for that income stream as the in-place assets are run off to nothing.

All the while, oil will continue to be a major energy source for the world economy. Just look at coal - as bad as coal is as a fossil fuel, it's still something like 20% of the US primary energy supply. It's take 10 or 15 years to run down from 1/3rd or so. That might accelerate, it might not. If oil follows a somewhat similar path, the companies might be nearly valueless in 3-10 years, but we'll still be using oil for 2 or 3 decades(?)

Reactions: jhm and mspohr
Super-Hybrid: Dutch Offshore Wind Farm to Include Floating Solar, Batteries and Hydrogen

Here is the super-hybrid Shell is wanting to explore: offshore wind, floating solar, battery storage and hydrogen electrolysis. Shell would offtake the hydrogen to using in its refinery. So all the elements are here for deep decarbonization. I think the basic challenge is to get the mix of resources optimized and to tap into all possible synergies (for example, sharing bi-directional inverter capacity between PV, battery and electrolyzer).

Super-Hybrid: Dutch Offshore Wind Farm to Include Floating Solar, Batteries and Hydrogen

Here is the super-hybrid Shell is wanting to explore: offshore wind, floating solar, battery storage and hydrogen electrolysis. Shell would offtake the hydrogen to using in its refinery. So all the elements are here for deep decarbonization. I think the basic challenge is to get the mix of resources optimized and to tap into all possible synergies (for example, sharing bi-directional inverter capacity between PV, battery and electrolyzer).
The problem here is the usual. Fossil fuel companies only invest in renewables to support their fossil fuel operations.

Shell would offtake the hydrogen to using in its refinery.

Reactions: gavine
Global demand for oil to fall further than expected, says IEA

The world’s demand for oil will fall further than expected through this year and in 2021 following a surge in new coronavirus cases, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA).

The oil watchdog wiped almost a quarter of a million barrels of oil a day (bpd) from its forecasts for next year after warning that the rising number of Covid-19 cases could mean a slower recovery for the global aviation industry and lower demand for transport fuels.

Reactions: jhm
Just look at coal - as bad as coal is as a fossil fuel, it's still something like 20% of the US primary energy supply. It's take 10 or 15 years to run down from 1/3rd or so.

It's easier to build electric power to supplant coal, than replace 50M gas cars on the road.

In Ontario, Coal power dropped from 25% to 0% in just 3 years, with renewable (4 GW, 2 GW solar) and natural gas (7GW) replacing it. Energy usage has dropped significantly, so the gas fleet maxes out at 3GW on peaks days, but mostly 1GW on regular days, idle otherwise.

• Informative
Reactions: adiggs and navguy12
The problem here is the usual. Fossil fuel companies only invest in renewables to support their fossil fuel operations.
Refineries are one of the biggest consumers of hydrogen. This use of green hydrogen directly displaces fossil derived hydrogen. This seems better than creating new demand with HFCEVs, which would be better replaced with BEVs.

Reactions: mblakele

The world’s demand for oil will fall further than expected through this year and in 2021 following a surge in new coronavirus cases, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA).

The oil watchdog wiped almost a quarter of a million barrels of oil a day (bpd) from its forecasts for next year after warning that the rising number of Covid-19 cases could mean a slower recovery for the global aviation industry and lower demand for transport fuels.
IEA, "oil watchdog," who knew?

It is pretty amazing that demand is still 8 mbpd lower than last year. In prior decades it would take about 5 years for demand to grow 8 mbpd. But in the current context of a beleaguered global economy and an array of oil demand defeating technologies, including RE and EVs, this could take much longer than 5 years. The hope was always a V-shaped recovery where the economy just snaps back into pre-existing consumption patterns. It could be that most of this snap back has already happened. The last several mbpd of demand may be like starting all over to create new demand. The peak we were expecting around 2025 could be less than consumption in 2019.

Even better would be to not have a refinery.
Here's another H2 scam.
Oil Sands Producer Eyes Hydrogen Exports

“If we turn our natural gas into hydrogen, then it is now part of the long-term future for energy,” said Jackie Forrest, executive director of Calgary-based ARC Energy Research Institute. “There is no need to decline our production because we found a new product that has growing demand.”

For oil-sands producers, it’s more about long-term survival than saving the planet. If they use hydrogen to cut emissions, it could ensure they continue to have a market for their crude and funding from environmentally minded investors.

Proton has been in discussions with some oil producers who are interested in licensing the technology so they can use hydrogen, instead of natural gas, to create the steam they inject underground to get thick oil-sands crude flowing to the surface. Potential financial partners have approached Proton about funding purchases of old oil wells to convert them to hydrogen production, Strem said.

Even better would be to not have a refinery.
Of course, but that transition will take time. In the long run, non-fuel petrochemical production will need to transition to a zero carbon emissions framework. Hydrogen production is a key part of this. Thus, the demand for hydrogen in chemical processing plants will outlive the production fossil fuels for combustion. In the meantime, we should hope to see refinery operations reduce its own consumption of fossil fuels.

This also applies to all oil and gas operations. For example, I am not fan of LNG. Liquefaction of gas consumes massive amounts of power, just to make fossil gas transportable. So should LNG plants run off of power generated by fissil fuels, or should we make every effort to power these plants with renewable energy? If an LNG plant were to build out solar and wind resources to power itself, is this a bad thing, a hypocritical thing?

Reactions: SmartElectric
Here's another H2 scam.
Oil Sands Producer Eyes Hydrogen Exports

“If we turn our natural gas into hydrogen, then it is now part of the long-term future for energy,” said Jackie Forrest, executive director of Calgary-based ARC Energy Research Institute. “There is no need to decline our production because we found a new product that has growing demand.”

For oil-sands producers, it’s more about long-term survival than saving the planet. If they use hydrogen to cut emissions, it could ensure they continue to have a market for their crude and funding from environmentally minded investors.

Proton has been in discussions with some oil producers who are interested in licensing the technology so they can use hydrogen, instead of natural gas, to create the steam they inject underground to get thick oil-sands crude flowing to the surface. Potential financial partners have approached Proton about funding purchases of old oil wells to convert them to hydrogen production, Strem said.
I am not a fan of fossil derived hydrogen, so called gray hydrogen. Blue hydrogen, fossil derived, but with carbon capture will never be as cheep as without CCS. The promise of blue hydrogen is a ruse. It's all gray hydrogen.

The only way to avoid gray hydrogen, IMO, is to build out massive electrolyzer capacity along with incremental wind and solar to power it. This is green hydrogen.

Because of the enormity of build out of adequate green hydrogen supply, I am opposed to road vehicles that use hydrogen. Until all gray hydrogen has been replaced with green, we should not seek any automotive demand for hydrogen.

Of course, but that transition will take time. In the long run, non-fuel petrochemical production will need to transition to a zero carbon emissions framework. Hydrogen production is a key part of this. Thus, the demand for hydrogen in chemical processing plants will outlive the production fossil fuels for combustion. In the meantime, we should hope to see refinery operations reduce its own consumption of fossil fuels.

This also applies to all oil and gas operations. For example, I am not fan of LNG. Liquefaction of gas consumes massive amounts of power, just to make fossil gas transportable. So should LNG plants run off of power generated by fissil fuels, or should we make every effort to power these plants with renewable energy? If an LNG plant were to build out solar and wind resources to power itself, is this a bad thing, a hypocritical thing?
Some would argue that it's Green- washing and encourages burning more carbon.

• Helpful
Reactions: jhm
Some would argue that it's Green- washing and encourages burning more carbon.
Right. How would you mark the distinction between greenwashing and a serious investment in renewables? I've been arguing that oil companies need to overhaul their whole balance sheet from fossil assets to sustainable and renewable energy assets. In the early stages, critics can say it's just greenwashing. But at what point is it clear that something more than greenwashing has taken root?

We could ask the same question of automakers. All legacy OEMs need to do more than just crank out a minimum number of compliance cars. They need to transition to a fully electric product portfolio. How do we know when an OEM is a serious EV maker and not just playing a compliance game? Critics say that Tesla is only profitable because it sells regulatory credits. So is Tesla greenwashing too, enabling automakers to keep selling ICE?

This seems to set up a test that says only when an automaker is profitable after excluding regulatory credits from revenue has it gone beyond greenwashing. I think this is an absurdly high standard. Yes, Tesla gets up to 10% of its automotive revenue from ICE sales via regulatory credits, but it is clearly the dominant EV maker, pushing the whole industry to transitions. At this point I'm inclined to think that any automaker that gets more than 5% of its revenue from BEVs is a serious EV maker. Right now plugin sales are 4% of global auto market, while BEVs have a 2.7% share. So an automaker that is getting 5% revenue from BEVs is doing substantially more than mere regulatory compliance dictates. (I also don't believe that PHEV sales are a serious effort to get past the compliance game. Rather they are optimized to meet compliance objectives. So I would not count their revenue in this test.) I'm not sure if any top 30 automaker, except Tesla, would pass this modest 5% BEV auto revenue test. But the threshold is low enough that a serious EV maker could achieve it in the near term. Perhaps if compliance demands pushed higher than 5%, I'd consider a higher threshold. It is believed that 10% penetration is the "inflection point" (whatever that means) for EV adoption. So maybe there is some threshold beyond which the growth of BEV sales is important for its own sake, not because it facilitates sales of ICE.

So how should we look at an oil company like BP, Shell or Equinor to tell when their investment in RE and other sustainable assets is more than just greenwashing?

Right. How would you mark the distinction between greenwashing and a serious investment in renewables? I've been arguing that oil companies need to overhaul their whole balance sheet from fossil assets to sustainable and renewable energy assets. In the early stages, critics can say it's just greenwashing. But at what point is it clear that something more than greenwashing has taken root?

We could ask the same question of automakers. All legacy OEMs need to do more than just crank out a minimum number of compliance cars. They need to transition to a fully electric product portfolio. How do we know when an OEM is a serious EV maker and not just playing a compliance game? Critics say that Tesla is only profitable because it sells regulatory credits. So is Tesla greenwashing too, enabling automakers to keep selling ICE?

This seems to set up a test that says only when an automaker is profitable after excluding regulatory credits from revenue has it gone beyond greenwashing. I think this is an absurdly high standard. Yes, Tesla gets up to 10% of its automotive revenue from ICE sales via regulatory credits, but it is clearly the dominant EV maker, pushing the whole industry to transitions. At this point I'm inclined to think that any automaker that gets more than 5% of its revenue from BEVs is a serious EV maker. Right now plugin sales are 4% of global auto market, while BEVs have a 2.7% share. So an automaker that is getting 5% revenue from BEVs is doing substantially more than mere regulatory compliance dictates. (I also don't believe that PHEV sales are a serious effort to get past the compliance game. Rather they are optimized to meet compliance objectives. So I would not count their revenue in this test.) I'm not sure if any top 30 automaker, except Tesla, would pass this modest 5% BEV auto revenue test. But the threshold is low enough that a serious EV maker could achieve it in the near term. Perhaps if compliance demands pushed higher than 5%, I'd consider a higher threshold. It is believed that 10% penetration is the "inflection point" (whatever that means) for EV adoption. So maybe there is some threshold beyond which the growth of BEV sales is important for its own sake, not because it facilitates sales of ICE.

So how should we look at an oil company like BP, Shell or Equinor to tell when their investment in RE and other sustainable assets is more than just greenwashing?
I would say that when the RE is going to be used to support drilling, extraction, and refining of fossil fuel, it is green-washing.

Reactions: jhm and navguy12
All legacy OEMs need to do more than just crank out a minimum number of compliance cars. They need to transition to a fully electric product portfolio. How do we know when an OEM is a serious EV maker and not just playing a compliance game?

This one is easy for me, even if my definition lacks some precision and maybe accuracy more broadly. The legacy OEMs are greenwashing as long as they are building hybrids (any kind - if it has a gas engine, it's a hybrid; my simplistic view), and/or as long as the BEVs they build are intended to be built in compliance quantities.

I know of no BEVs outside of China, Nissan Leaf, and Tesla that are being designed and built around a marketing plan that calls for as many of them as there is demand for. For most OEMs, that also means they are designing the cars with features that ensure the BEVs are at best comparable, and more likely weaker, compared to their gas engine counterparts at the same manufacturer.

The combination makes it pretty easy for me to spot a greenwashing car maker (which today, is virtually all of them).

I would say that when the RE is going to be used to support drilling, extraction, and refining of fossil fuel, it is green-washing.

Even when the RE that supports doing that stuff is reducing the consumption of that stuff in support of doing that stuff?

If you can offset 1GWh of energy produced from fossil fuels that you mine yourself that is needed in your mining or downstream processing of fossil fuels, with the equivalent amount of electricity from RE sources such that your end output is the same but you mine less to get the end output, is that really still greenwashing?

I'm with @jhm on this one - whether reduction in ff consumption comes at the consumer end by driving a BEV using RE sourced electricity, or whether reduced ff consumption comes from the ff mining and processing flow, it's reduced ff consumption.

For me, telling the difference between ff companies that are greenwashing and the ones that are serious about improving their balance sheet is tough to spot. The first thought that pops into my brain is whether the company in the O&G supply chain is installing RE designed for them to be the primary consumer of the output (they don't need to be the exclusive consumer), or whether they are installing RE to provide electricity to the world.

The first sounds like serious intent to me, partly because it's harder to describe to the outside world (marketing), though it might be easier to explain to investors. The latter sounds like a company with little or no expertise in an area, trying to succeed in that area (at least today).

A related indicator - in the first case, the oil company is like to hire an RE infrastructure build company to design and build their system. In the latter case, I think the oil company is more likely to at least be the general contractor, as a way of showing the world their RE chops. Ultimately, they'll need to do this if they're going to transition to RE as their business and they'll need to gain the expertise.

My prediction is that none of the oil majors make the transition to RE infrastructure builders or providers as their internal incentive structure and training is all wrong (discussed up thread).

BUT they might see a path to improving their cost structure that pays back fast enough, to incorporate new build RE infrastructure into their energy intensive processing.

As a side note, we've talked previously in this thread about a move in the mining industry to convert energy sources for mining to RE sourced. The big part of the world I've seen press on this is Australia. Partly due to the sometimes immense distances from somewhere to the mines, they are big electricity consumers and far enough out that running the grid is cost prohibitive. So today, those mines are trucking in diesel by the truckload and burning it for the electricity the operation needs.

The ROI for building out a microgrid with batteries for carrying through the night, with a diesel generator for backup, is huge / fast. The ROI is so good, that pretty much every significant mine (at least in Australia) is thinking about how to get to 50% RE from 0 today. Many are thinking about what 100% RE for current activities would look like as well (frequently, a mix of solar and wind).

To me this is a similar idea as an oil company incorporating RE into their current energy manufacturing processes. Except in their case, they're not offsetting ff demand so much as they are offsetting ff mining in the first place.

Thanks for clarifying your view. I have a question. Is the issue for you that an oil company is self-consuming the RE they produce, not producing more than they need for self-consumption, still producing FF in any quantity, or something else?

For me, I am inclined to look at the quantity produced. When Shell develops multiple GW of wind and solar, that seems to be at a significant scale to me. The superhybrid project appears to mostly generate power for the grid, well beyond self-consumption in norther Europe. The offtake of hydrogen is the only explicit self-consumption. The thing is that the role of the electrolyzer is largely to handle excess wind and solar production. It helps balance the grid and avoids destroying the value of wind and solar production due to overproduction leading to low prices. From my perspective, shoring up the value of RE on the grid is vitally important to achieving ever high penetration of RE on the grid.

Making the financing work for electrolysis will be tight. So it is important that there is some sort of offtake agreement as this secures a reliable price for the hydrogen. They are also looking at government support to make the finances work. If there were a third party willing to pay a high enough price for hydrogen offtake that would be super. And it would derisk the project for Shell. But when Shell becomes the offtake partner it is assuming the market risk for the price of hydrogen. Simply put if the price of natural gas in Europe comes down, Shell is not able to take full advantage of that as feed stock for hydrogen because it has a prior commitment to source hydrogen from this project first. So in this situation I don't thing self-consumption is indicative of a lack of commitment to a large (GW scale) complex project that aims at mix of technologies is actually necessary for deep decarbonization. In time, I believe the experience curve on electrolysis will lead to lower cost hydrogen that can compete more broadly, but for now it is a very good thing that Shell is locking in demand for electrolyzed hydrogen likely at prices not currently competitive with what Shell has souced from SRM. That sort of commitment is very helpful in early stage development.

I think the bigger test for Shell as to whether or not this is greenwashing is whether Shell will continue to develop the hydrogen tech. Will they take electrolysis to GW scale? If they do, then this project is an investment in advancing the experience curve for electrolysis. So far no one is at the GW scale for electrolysis. But ultimately to achieve deep decarbonization, the globe needs to advance to the TW scale.