Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In other news, well, the headline says it all: world’s largest direct air carbon capture system goes online. What’s lower in the article: the world’s largest DAC plant removes the equivalent emissions of 870 cars. Whoop-de-do.

Well that's interesting....

China(the only real demand growth story along with India), is selling off it's reserves. Kinda makes you wonder about this supposed "looming supply crunch".

If this doesn't bring crude markets back down to Earth, nothing will. Folks will need to capitulate to the fact of global crude markets being completely rigged and get on with their lives.

• Informative
Reactions: jhm and adiggs
From Bloomberg just now....

Nigeria has sent a signal that the recovery in global oil demand still has some way to go, with volumes for next month’s loading struggling to find a home, even among its main customers.

As much as two-thirds of Nigeria’s crude for October export has yet to find buyers, according to traders specializing in the West African market. That’s enough to fill 30 Suezmax tankers, each carrying 1 million barrels of oil.

This whole narrative is crumbling.

I despise SCO(double short crude ETF) and all other vehicles for shorting the price of oil, but this may be a time to just hold your nose and buy them. Or just sell some barrels for delivery next December @ $63.

From Bloomberg just now....

This whole narrative is crumbling.

I despise SCO(double short crude ETF) and all other vehicles for shorting the price of oil, but this may be a time to just hold your nose and buy them. Or just sell some barrels for delivery next December @ $63.
Do you have a feel for the conversion (today) of oil price into majors (Chevron, Exxon, Shell, BP, ..) share prices?

Those other vehicles (future oil, short crude ETF) are types of investment that I have no experience with, beyond know that I need to understand what they do and don't do to make use of them. WHich means I just stay away :)

But it's not hard for me to understand Chevron up/down - that (public company) is something I have an understanding of.

Reactions: GleanerC
Do you have a feel for the conversion (today) of oil price into majors (Chevron, Exxon, Shell, BP, ..) share prices?

Those other vehicles (future oil, short crude ETF) are types of investment that I have no experience with, beyond know that I need to understand what they do and don't do to make use of them. WHich means I just stay away :)

But it's not hard for me to understand Chevron up/down - that (public company) is something I have an understanding of.
I have absolutely no idea. Oil is somehow up another 2% today, so figuring out this sector's movements is likely more of a technicals exercise than a logical one. I should probably just stop thinking about it.

My thesis is that the bottom's gotta fall out relatively soon(tomorrow thru 2025), in a similar fashion to the coal sector losing 99% of it's valuation overnight(over a year or two). How we play that?? Unclear.

I'm buying long puts on Chevron in increasing amounts with strikes 30-40% below whatever the current SP is. Hoping that does the trick.

• Informative
Reactions: adiggs
Well that's interesting....

China(the only real demand growth story along with India), is selling off it's reserves. Kinda makes you wonder about this supposed "looming supply crunch".

If this doesn't bring crude markets back down to Earth, nothing will. Folks will need to capitulate to the fact of global crude markets being completely rigged and get on with their lives.
It's been rigged for quite a while, but usually to the advantage of producers. Now China is flexing its power as a consumer.

What took them so long?! If Harvard is only taking action now, I'm afraid the less rich and educated institutions will act in decades, far tool late to avoid a huge, unrecoverable catastrophe. That's not comforting at all.

i think we’re speculating here that investing in oil will be unprofitable at some point in the future. But it seems that it hasn’t gotten there yet. There are still dividends, the oil stocks haven’t totally tanked, etc.

So I think the relevance of a move like this is that it’s coming from a place of principle not profit. It wouldn’t mean anything to divest after the oil stocks are tanking. And, in fact, you can argue that the fund managers have a certain obligation to pursue profits, so divesting from oil at present is definitely a statement.

It’s not so much that I think this move will solve the problem on its own, but together with others like it, I think it sends a meaningful message, that I hope more funds will receive. At some point we’ll reach the tipping point where fossil fuel investment becomes more costly due to lack of willing investors… prohibitively expensive, I would hope. And then the oil companies less profitable, and then more funds bail… the textbook Virtuous Circle. :)

Bought some SCO. Probably foolish, but this supply narrative has got to break soon.

Saudi cuts prices in half to Asia for October. Refiners are like.....nah thanks.

i think we’re speculating here that investing in oil will be unprofitable at some point in the future. But it seems that it hasn’t gotten there yet. There are still dividends, the oil stocks haven’t totally tanked, etc.

So I think the relevance of a move like this is that it’s coming from a place of principle not profit. It wouldn’t mean anything to divest after the oil stocks are tanking. And, in fact, you can argue that the fund managers have a certain obligation to pursue profits, so divesting from oil at present is definitely a statement.

It’s not so much that I think this move will solve the problem on its own, but together with others like it, I think it sends a meaningful message, that I hope more funds will receive. At some point we’ll reach the tipping point where fossil fuel investment becomes more costly due to lack of willing investors… prohibitively expensive, I would hope. And then the oil companies less profitable, and then more funds bail… the textbook Virtuous Circle. :)
You're settling for little. By the time this accumaltion of virtue starts to light things up, we'll all be under water or exposed to severe heatwaves and drought, with unprecedented crop failure, food insecurity, with hundreds of millions people on the road look for a livable place.

The more we study, the harder it is to spot the silver lining.

Every once in a while the truth slips out. These guys aren't gonna help build their own gallows.

Every once in a while the truth slips out. These guys aren't gonna help build their own gallows.

"We rather dividend it back to shareholders and let them plant trees," the CEO says.

Unbelievable. What an *ss!

How did we miss this back in April? Rystad pulls forward oil demand peak to 2026!

World demand is now seen peaking at 101.6 million barrels of oil per day (bpd) in 2026, down from a forecast made in November of a peak in 2028 at 102.2 million bpd, Rystad Energy said.

Likewise, Sinopec now sees Chinese oil demand peaking in 2026.

From the beginning of this thread, my view has basically been that global crude demand would peak by 2025 (maybe sooner) and that global demand would likely peak before China's demand would peak. The later point is pretty easy to see because developed OECD countries have largely peaked already while China was the the dominant demand growth engine of the non-OECD world. So as China's demand flattens out while OECD demand continues to fall, there is just not much demand creation outside of China to keep global demand climbing. This is made even more challenging for the oil industry if Brent remands near or above $70/b. That is, the developing world excluding China really does not have the economic heft to grow oil consumption when it is expensive. Indeed, China saw fit to draw from its strategic oil reserve to support consumption in the midst of Brent threatening to breach $80/b. So it looks like even China has hard time tolerating high oil prices.

So if Brent remains north of $70/b, I think China could see its oil demand peak by 2025. And in this scenario global demand could peak by 2024. Even if the price of oil moderates, I think Rystad will have to adjust its forecast again (within 12 months) lowering the global peak and pulling the peak forward to 2025. But the really big confirmation here is that EV uptake is the key driver, and Rystad is admitting it.

There are some good observations about the trend to working from home.

Although much of the employment in emerging markets is either informal or in-person, and as such not facilitating remote work, there were still significant portions of the workforce who shifted to work-from-home models.

Before the outbreak it was estimated that around 10% of the global workforce worked remotely, with the figure rising to as much as two-thirds in some regions during the pandemic.
The long-term impacts remain to be seen. Going from 10% remote workforce globally before the pandemic to about 65% during the pandemic, maybe after the pandemic this settles bact to 20% to 50% and growing steadily long-term.

The article does not address the implications for energy markets, yet it seems clear fuel for commuting and other transport of labor takes a huge cut. This is really bad for motor vehicle and motor fuel demand. Perhaps the global economy does not need a 2 billion fleet of motor vehicles. Perhaps 1.8 or 1.6 billion would suffice in the coming years. It's hard to put a solid number on this, but the direction is clear. The ICE fleet in particular does not need to grow while the total fleet is still more more than is needed to transport workers. And by the time the total fleet needs to resume growth, EVs will be scaled up supply all the growth plus some replacement.

This becomes an alternative thesis to the EV Osborne effect thesis. Some fraction of the global workforce discovers that they don't need a commuter vehicle because they work from home or near home. This reduces demand for new vehicles as the total fleet shrinks for a number of years. Quantitatively it may be hard to differentiate the effects from this thesis from those of EV Osborne Effect as both anticipate a decline in total new auto sales until EVs scale up. I'm not saying they are impossible to differentiate, just that it could be hard to discriminate. Moreover, both theses are probably correct to some degree.

Additionally, the longer it takes for the globe to recover from the pandemic, the more established these changes will be. Rystad for one is recognizing that prospects for a large and distant oil demand peak is eroding.

• Informative
Reactions: canoemore
The natural gas market has been pretty tight lately. LNG in both Asia and Europe is going for $18/mmBtu. This is expensive enough that ammonia producers and other industrial users of gas and power in Europe are having to idle their plants. Electricity and heat are becoming expensive enough to halt the economy.

The obvious long-term solution is to build out more renewable energy so that the economies of Europe and Asia are not so dependent on the price of gas. But in the short run the gas market is tight and utilities turn toward coal to close the energy gap.

The US Henry Hub price is around $5/mmBtu. US gas producers participate in the Asian and European gas markets via LNG exports. In this last year the US has added 2.7 Bcf/day LNG processing capacity. This iis enough gas to generate 14.55 GW of electricity at constant rate. Gas prices in the US are as high as they are because exports are increasing by nearly 2.7 Bcf/day.

So I want to know how much of this export of US gas is being replaced by new installations of wind and solar in the US. Current estimates for 2021 installations is 21 GW wind and 26 GW. At EIA average capacity factors of 35% and 25% respectively, this combined installation can generate about GW average, which offsets 2.57 Bcf/day of natural gas. Thus, the increase of wind and solar in the US offset about as much gas as the US is incrementally supplying to Europe and Asia via new LNG capacity.

This is very intriguing that US wind and solar may already be at a scale where it is in equilibrium with the global gas market. Certainly with Henry Hub at $5, wind and solar are extremely competitive for new generation capacity in the US. Really, natural gas generation is the only competition to wind, solar and batteries, but at $5/mmBtu it's nearly priced out to the new generation market. If LNG were to double from here to $36/mmBtu, this would only impact Henry Hub prices to the extent that new LNG capacity is built out in the US. US wind and gas developers should probably take their cue from the ambitions of those building out LNG capacity. For every 1 Bcf/d of new LNG capacity, we should be building out another 8.5 GW wind and 11 GW solar. If wind and solar do not exceed this, then the US economy is impeded by higher domestic gas prices. For now, we can think of LNG as a vehicle for US wind and solar to export energy to Asia and Europe so as to minimize global coal generation and to keep the global economy moving. US wind and solar installations are absolutely essential to keeping the US. Europe and Asia also need to step up their pace of RE installation to avoid paying LNG prices high enough to tank their respective economies.