Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's nice to be encouraged to participate even though I'm just an engineer getting a kick out of leaning this stuff, thank you jhm.

Now I want to get a bit more crisp with a few things, maybe you can point out where my thinking isn't straight.

The worst case scenario I see is with the hedge being a leveraged crude price short, is if crude price stays within range (likely will jump around a lot but say still between 30 and 50), but the weight of bankruptcies drags the whole market down. From what I can tell this is not an unlikely scenario: first, everyone keeps pumping as fast as they can to just stay afloat on their loans. Then some run out of operating capital and fold. Production falls a bit, storage spring starts to unwind a bit. Prices stay about the same. Damage to markets is being done due to massive write-offs. TSLA goes down on "macro fears", in this case both uncertainty of the extent of write-offs and the future of oil production (no new capacity sparks fears of price spikes down the road). Since prices stay the same more producers fold or post massive write-offs. Producers that stay around cut costs even more on existing capacity and pump even harder to stay afloat.

Eventually Saudis get their way, drive just about everyone out of business and we're back to $100/barrel, except now economy is *sugar* precisely for the reason it went to *sugar* before: high oil prices!
Ok, let's see if we can work through this scenario. It sounds like there are two issues that most concern you. 1) collateral damage to the economy from devastatingly low oil prices, and 2) a lack of investment in oil leading to consolation in the hands of the Saudi Arabias of the world and high long-term oil prices perhaps as high as $100/b. Let's look at both.

Collateral damage. A huge swath of the economy is actually dependent on the oil economy. Much of this is obvious, but some are more remote like rail roads which transport oil can get hurt in a down turn. Indeed rail rail roads in the US have already lost revenue to the lift in the oil export ban. It is now cheaper for East Coast refineries to import foreign oil than to ship domestic oil by rail from the Midwest. So small changes in the marketplace can have unexpected results. How do we hedge against such fall out? Indeed bankruptcy is already happening across all the fossil fuel industry. Coal is hardest hit, and Peabody, the largest US coal producer has just declared bankruptcy. The market cap for the coal sector has already lost about 95%, and energy bonds are largely in junk bond status. After coal, natural gas is hard hit. I've heard reports that about half of public oil and gas companies are bankruptcy or at serious risk right now. The point is that this fall out is already happening. It is largely priced into the market. So one can hedge against further decline by shorting the oil and gas sector. I did not find a strong correlation here with Tesla, but it does stand to reason that as oil players sink into bankruptcy, market caps will fall to zero. So this can give you some protection against very deep fallout. However, I do think that shorting the whole stock market is too blunt an instrument for the specific risk of an oil collapse. Shorting the price of oil remains attractive to me, because virtually all the damage done is revenue driven, and the revenue to all players, even remote ones like rail roads and banks, are a function of the price of oil. For example, if you are a bank sitting on destressed loans to oil and gas companies, you definitely want to hedge the price of oil. The value of your loans and whatever physical collateral that may back them up increases with the price of oil. Think of it this way, suppose you lend money secured to certain oil wells. In default, you essentially own the output of the oil wells or the actual wells. Thus the value of your bad loans is based on the future price of oil and how much these wells produce. Banks holding such assets will probably want to hedge them with futures or sell them, but even selling the assets amounts to selling an oil revenue stream. So the value all comes down to the price of oil and the futures curve. In a liquidation scenario, the value of an oil company gets stripped down to the value of oil assets producing an oil revenue stream. So it is all about the price of oil.

Now as oil players go bankrupt, their assets will get sold to other oil players. The investors will buy oil assets at a fraction of the cost it would take to develop them new. Thus, the market will consolidate into the hand of investors with stronger balance sheets. Petrobras wants to sell off about $14B. Who will buy and at what price? While it is cheaper to buy distressed assets for pennies on the dollar that is what strong players will do. So I'm not so worried about the world losing the oil from these assets or even the ability of these string hands to finance new supply when the economics call for that. So what if the consolidation is so tight that oil rebounds to $100/b. I think we are looking at 2019 or later given the enormous inventory that must be liquidated before the price gets that high. How do we hedge against a return of high oil prices that damages global demand? Well, I think Tesla itself is the leading hedge. Just imagine how well the Model 3 will sell if in 2020ish oil is near $100 and gasoline sells around $4/gal. But it is not simply EV sales that will be compelling. I figure that each kWh of Tesla batteries can displace about 6 barrels of oil over the batteries useful life. So the Gigafactory at 50 GWh / year is displacing some 300 million barrels of displacement per year or around 822,000 bpd. This is an enormous supply of oil alternatives from one plant comparable to about 9% of US oil production. It is simply cheaper to build new Gigafactories than to explore and produce new oil. Thus, gigafactories become the product that Tesla can sell to energy investors or build out and use to compete directly with what oil oligopoly may hold the oil assets. Simply put gigafactories will undercut oil and the price of oil will either be competitive (under around $25/b) or oil will lose market share rapidly. Oil at $100/b would easily attract $250B in investments into gigafactories, which is about all that is needed for batteries to drive oil out of the energy markets altogether. So as a Tesla investors, I have absolutely no fear of oil going to $100 and I would drop the oil hedge along the way once this became clear.

I hope this helps.

Haven't posted yet because I don't have anything to add to the thoughtful conversation. But I wanted to thank jhm for the idea. I didn't buy nearly enough shares to hedge my TSLA (and SCTY) positions, but the DRIP I did buy is up about 7% on what would otherwise be a completely dismal day...

Haven't posted yet because I don't have anything to add to the thoughtful conversation. But I wanted to thank jhm for the idea. I didn't buy nearly enough shares to hedge my TSLA (and SCTY) positions, but the DRIP I did buy is up about 7% on what would otherwise be a completely dismal day...
Cool. So what are you buying on your DRIP?

Hey, SCO is up 5% today, even as TSLA is down 0.9%.

Big oil declares war on the electric car

This was posted in the Short Term thread, but let us not forget who we are shorting. The Koch Bros are willing to put up $10 million just for a little political propaganda machine against EVs. What kind of money do you suppose they are willing to "invest" to attack Tesla's share price. They have a vested interest in reinforcing a correlation between Tesla and oil. Once the market figures out that Tesla can grow while oil declines, oil will be at a severe disadvantage in attracting capital. The Koch Bros really cannot afford to allow the market to figure this out.

From a more game theoretic viewpoint, shorting oil to hedge Tesla is the essential counterstrategy to opponents who would short Tesla to defend oil.

Oil Prices Fall Fast On Huge Inventory Build | OilPrice.com

Lot's of good stuff here.

• US weekly inventory up 8.8 million barrels (in 7 days).
  • Excess refining capacity could rise to 5.3 mbpd by 2020. This could be a surprise glut in addition to the crude glut.
  • IEA is saying $300B needs to be invested in oil production to maintain current supply. (Remember $250B invested in gigafactories could displace oil from the energy markets altogether.)
  • The market cap of Petrobras tracks the price of oil. (Oil price is the key driver of value in the oil industry.)

Reactions: Lessmog
$40 Billion LNG Project In Australia Cancelled Amid Low Prices | OilPrice.com

I take this as good news. In my view, LNG cannot compete with wind and solar long-term. Around the world utility solar is moving below $40/MWh, while LNG at $7/MMBtu imples a fuel cost of $56/MWh in the most efficient CC natural gas plants. Thus, new solar is cheaper than feeding LNG into a fully depreciated natural gas plant. So it is smart to can this $40B LNG project in Australia.

How does this impact oil? The aim was to export surplus natural gas from Australia. This surplus is now landlocked. It will remain in Australia and displace coal used in electricity generation and displace oil as a heating fuel or petrochemical feed stock. So this is the sort of event that erodes non-transportation demand for oil. This is how renewable energy displaces oil via surplus natural gas.

Reactions: replicant
I've really enjoyed this thread. Thank you for starting it! Even if the hedging doesn't end up working out as intended I think the discussion is good to have and I find it very interesting.

As far as SCO, I really like the idea of an inverse short ETF as your losses are limited to your initial investment. While there are losses involved to obtain the leverage I think it is worth the payment. Losing some value over time is worth it to me knowing I am not going to get a margin call if oil spikes if I were to short a normal (non-inverse) oil ETF. My taxable brokerage account is pretty much TSLA and solar stocks so I've been trying to find a hedge like this for a while. I was able to grab a little SCO at $113. With TSLA and solar stocks being down big today it's very nice seeing something green in my portfolio today (SCO). Unfortunately, I didn't grab enough to make much of a difference but that's ok as we don't know if today's drop in oil prices is the start of the next leg down to $30 a barrel again or just a dip after the big rally oil has had recently. This is something I plan to ease into and hope to learn along with everyone else following this thread.

Wow, this was a poster child day for the oil hedge. Oil drops 4.1% and takes Tesla down 5.0% with it. Meanwhile SCO is up 8.15. So if anyone was hedged 20% today they would have netted out a loss of only 2.8%.

As a side note, I tested out SCTY and TAN, a solar ETF, against SCO as a hedge. Both have correlations that change sign over time. So there dies not appear to be a stable enough relationship for hedging to be really helpful. Maybe on occasion, but not long run. In a way this is a kind of confirmation that there is something special going on with Tesla and oil. The stability of that positive relationship is not something we see with solar or even with the general market. So the relationship is not simply a correlation with the general market.

I've really enjoyed this thread. Thank you for starting it! Even if the hedging doesn't end up working out as intended I think the discussion is good to have and I find it very interesting.

As far as SCO, I really like the idea of an inverse short ETF as your losses are limited to your initial investment. While there are losses involved to obtain the leverage I think it is worth the payment. Losing some value over time is worth it to me knowing I am not going to get a margin call if oil spikes if I were to short a normal (non-inverse) oil ETF. My taxable brokerage account is pretty much TSLA and solar stocks so I've been trying to find a hedge like this for a while. I was able to grab a little SCO at $113. With TSLA and solar stocks being down big today it's very nice seeing something green in my portfolio today (SCO). Unfortunately, I didn't grab enough to make much of a difference but that's ok as we don't know if today's drop in oil prices is the start of the next leg down to $30 a barrel again or just a dip after the big rally oil has had recently. This is something I plan to ease into and hope to learn along with everyone else following this thread.
Congrats. Looks like you got SCO at a good price. It's now $121.

Let's keep experimenting and learning. I'm tired of oil pushing Tesla around.

Just had a thought. What about shorting the auto sector as hedge? Many people think TSLA is just another auto maker and buy/sell TSLA with the sector as a whole. So I think they should have some correlation. Today GM and F both took some hit too.

And since I'm on it, I think taking TSLA just as another auto maker is a grave mistake. The other auto makers only provide one part of the solution to people's transportation. To fully provide transportation as a function, you need auto makers to make the ICE, dealers to sell and maintain them, oil companies to extract/refine the fuel, and midstream to transport the fuel. But for TSLA, it's just TSLA and utility. So if we value the function of transportation constant, TSLA should be valued as an agglomeration of the current auto maker, dealership, part of the oil industry.

Just had a thought. What about shorting the auto sector as hedge? Many people think TSLA is just another auto maker and buy/sell TSLA with the sector as a whole. So I think they should have some correlation. Today GM and F both took some hit too.

And since I'm on it, I think taking TSLA just as another auto maker is a grave mistake. The other auto makers only provide one part of the solution to people's transportation. To fully provide transportation as a function, you need auto makers to make the ICE, dealers to sell and maintain them, oil companies to extract/refine the fuel, and midstream to transport the fuel. But for TSLA, it's just TSLA and utility. So if we value the function of transportation constant, TSLA should be valued as an agglomeration of the current auto maker, dealership, part of the oil industry.
That's an interesting suggestion. It's away of neutralizing macro economic factors that impact the auto industry. Price of oil is probably the exception, as cheap oil is likely good for most ICE makers.

Do you have any inverse auto ETF in mind that I might test out?

That's an interesting suggestion. It's away of neutralizing macro economic factors that impact the auto industry. Price of oil is probably the exception, as cheap oil is likely good for most ICE makers.

Do you have any inverse auto ETF in mind that I might test out?
Sadly, I only have CARZ. It's too small of a ETF to trade (avg volume a few k of shares with ~30-40/share). There are a lot of consumer discretionary targeted ETFs but it's not really what I'm looking for. Actually there are only 10 other auto maker stocks. So it is possible to artificially create a basket for them. But this won't include dealership.

Oil is down again today, just a little below $39. My impression is that oil will trade in the $38 to $40 range for another week or so. Cantango is thin, not really steep enough to lock in a positive return of storing oil for a few months. Thus, storage at these prices is based on speculation that oil will rise higher than the futures curve. So barrels of hope are proping up current prices.

I will want to accumulate more hedge when oil is close to $40.

Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: jhm
Oil did not fall as hard as it looked this morning, down only 0.6%. This allowed Tesla to recover 2.44% while SCO gained 0.99%. Overall not bad for a 20% hedged TSLA position, which would net out to 2.20%, slightly under the unhedged 2.44% gain. So, the hedge provided increment returns of about 2.2% yesterday and -0.24% today.

I'm still waiting for oil to approach $40 before I accumulate more hedge.

I think TA calls the oil price action today a hammer. The market really seems to make a big deal out of the $40 level. I could see traders testing out prices above $40 again.

Fundamentally, $40 could be a good price for the oil market. It's not so high that choked shale oil flood into the market, but its not so low that producers and dependent segments of the economy are severely punished. Natural oil well decline rates, about 6%, need to shrink the supply of oil till the market balances. So $40 may be low enough that this can play out.

One of the fundamental problems that OPEC faces in setting a floor on oil is that, if the floor is too high, then supplies will grow and continue to oversupply the market. I believe a $50 floor or higher would simply flood the market and make matters worse. Under that scenario, OPEC volunteers to lose market share so that others can profit from its sacrifice. So that is a non-starter right there. I think a better strategy may be for OPEC to signal its intent to expand supply at increasing rates as the price of oil increases. This would facilitate coordination. If you know that OPEC would max out its ability to scale up production when oil hits say $60, you'd know not to drill anything that requires oil over $60 to be profitable. The whole set up is a sort of prisoners dilemma, so the challenge is to get all producers to curb their ambitions and not collectively oversupply the market. If all producers were to hedge by selling futures contracts and the like on future production, this would accomplish that signaling and market coordination in a free market, non-oligopolistic way.

Motor gasoline consumption expected to remain below 2007 peak despite increase in travel - Today in Energy - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

This report from the EIA presents some useful information on motor vehicle fuel consumption. They report that compared to 2007, vehicle miles traveled in 2015 are up nearly 4% while motor gasoline consumption is not any higher than it was in 2007. No doubt an improved economy and the low cost of fuels are encouraging US residents to drive more mile. EIA sees this trend continuing so that VMT is up 7% in 2017 over 2007. But increasing efficiency leads the EIA to project that motor gasoline consumption in 2017 will fall 0.6% below 2007. Thus, fuel efficiency is improving about 0.76% annually and this is sufficient to more than cover incremental demand for vehicle travel. The EIA does not explicitly say it, but this forecast implies that the US has already seen peak oil demand for vehicle transportation in 2015. Moreover this peak is driven by efficiency, not a decline in travel.

Let's see if we can tighten up this rate of efficiency gain a bit. From 2007 to 2015 efficiency gains 4% (0.50% per year), but from 2007 to 2017 the gain is 7.6% (0.76% per year ). So the EIA forecast is expecting a gain of 3.46% from 2015 to 2017 (1.72% per year ). This is a pretty startling projection to be making. It's not clear what is driving this.

If 1.7% annual efficiency gains can be sustained for more that just a few years this can make a big impact on oil demand. Over the last 20 years VMT has grown about 1.3% per year. So if efficiency can keep gaining 1.7%, it can exceed a longer-term travel growth rate of 1.3% by 0.4%. Near term motor gasoline consumption in the US is 9.23 mbpd. So this excess efficiency already cuts oil demand at a rate of about 37 thousand bpd per years.

Where do EVS fit into this? I'm not sure what EV assumptions EIA is already factoring into their forecast. So let's size up the potential impact with the caveat that some of this may be built into the EIA forecast.

So US drivers rack up about 8590 million miles per day on about 9.23 mbpd of gasoline, not counting diesel or anything else that may power their cars. This is an efficiency of 931 miles per barrel. This is surely an over estimate because other fuels and electricity are omitted. One million EVs and plug-ins could provide about 40 million miles per day with no incremental motor fuel consumption just electricity. This is a diplacement of 42k bpd per 1 million EVs. EVs are not nearly at this scale in the US, but could get there cumulatively by 2020.

So the EIA seems to see a fall off in motor fuel demand happening now, in spite of low gas prices and increased miles traveled. This annual fall off in demand is about 37k byd. The rises of EVs looks to accelerate this another 42k bpd within the next 5 years. Additionally, most of this gain in efficiency has been partly offset by increase in miles traveled, which is largely a function of low gasoline prices. If the price of gasoline were to rise substantially, travel could level of or decine.

In a level off senario fuel consumption is falling 1.7 plus displacements for electrics. Let's say 2% combined, or about 180k bpd. Now the US is about 20% the oil market. So if this scenario rippled out, a global 1 mbpd decline scenario seems plausible before 2020. This is just a scenario, one that coukd be triggered by a rise in oil prices. The basic problem for oil suppliers is that all forms of energy efficiency are conspiring to level out demand. The main thing that is increasing consumption in developed countries is cheap oil. Oil is so cheap that it cannot maintain a level supply. There seems to be only a thin line between killing demand with profitable oil prices and starving supply with unprofitable oil prices. I suspect the developed world is post peak and the developing is not that far behind.

In any case, an oil shock scenario where oil jumps to a really high price would seem quite short lived. Consumers have the choice of higher efficiency vehicles. So high gas prices would trigger a return to fuel economy, and the result would be much bigger than 1.7% efficiency gain. I am much more confident in a consumer response to correct an undersupply than a producer response to correct an oversupply.

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog and dc_h
Jhm thanks for taking your time to make such an elaborate response. I was more concerned about the stress on the overall financial system from having overexposure to bad oil development debt than about knock-on direct economic effect of low oil prices. Looks to me the market is getting concerned about that when oil drops below a certain level, and that is how I interpreted the latest big TSLA drop -- at least to a substantial degree. So I was describing a situation where oil is staying at a level that makes a big chunk of oil related investments questionable, doesn't go anywhere and we just sit and watch the rot from those poison the rest of the market. I didn't think though that a simple way to deal with that is to determine what that price is and just sell the hedge if/once oil gets there. And put that $$ back into TSLA. Basically I for some reason was thinking about just holding the hedge for as long as TSLA itself but there can be good strategies of increasing and decreasing it based on what is going on.

Jhm thanks for taking your time to make such an elaborate response. I was more concerned about the stress on the overall financial system from having overexposure to bad oil development debt than about knock-on direct economic effect of low oil prices. Looks to me the market is getting concerned about that when oil drops below a certain level, and that is how I interpreted the latest big TSLA drop -- at least to a substantial degree. So I was describing a situation where oil is staying at a level that makes a big chunk of oil related investments questionable, doesn't go anywhere and we just sit and watch the rot from those poison the rest of the market. I didn't think though that a simple way to deal with that is to determine what that price is and just sell the hedge if/once oil gets there. And put that $$ back into TSLA. Basically I for some reason was thinking about just holding the hedge for as long as TSLA itself but there can be good strategies of increasing and decreasing it based on what is going on.
It seems to me that oil financiers should be hedging their loans with significant oil price risk. Oil futures and options give lenders the means to do so. Lenders do hedge interest rate risks. Mortgage lenders would love to hedge home price risk, but cannot do so because liquid home price instruments do not exist. (I know this because I work in this area. We model home price risk, but cannot hedge it.) So oil lenders are in an enviable position to be able to hedge oil price risk. If they fail to do so, shame on them.

Moreover, if lenders did this hedging, it would signal through the futures curve just how over invested the future supply may be. Oil lenders are implicitly writing a put option on oil, making them long on oil. Buy put options would neutralize this exposure. It would also shift the futures curve down, signaling to the whole market a lower expectation for oil prices. This in turn would cool investments in oil when the futures curve is too low to merit investment. This would be a very natural mechanism for moderating the oil investment level across the industry.