Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few functional forms look easy. Let v be velocity.

Anci = An/v
Tires = At + Bt*v, Bt << At
Aero = Ca*v^2
Drive = Ad+ Bd*v + Dd*(Anci + Tires + Aero)

Let me revise this. We need an inverse term in Drive.

Anci = An/v
Aero = Ca*v^2
Drive = Ad/v + Bd + Cd*v + Dd*(Anci + Tires + Aero)

Here is what I am eyeball from the chart.

An = 215

At = 50
Bt = 0.1

Ca = 150/70^2 = 0.0306

Ad = 470
Bd = 10
Cd = 0.89
Dd = 0.065

All these parameter have some physical meaning. So it would be good to look at that to help anchor estimate and to know how they could change for other vehicles.

For example, Dd is the loss due to the inverter. So 0.065 implies 93.5% inverter efficiency. This seems about right and may hold up in other vehicles that use the same inverter. I suspect with the performance inverter Tesla may have improved upon this since the Roadster days.

What is more curious is that they do not even need to make such an assumption or propose a leasing model.

They point out that in diesel trucks, the drivetrain is about 50% of the price of a $150k truck. Super. Tesla can offer a 500 to 750 kWh battery at near $75k. The markup is in the other half of the vehicle, but MS wants to see a specific markup opportunity on the battery visa vis a diesel drivetrain. Such an extraordinary opportunity is not needed. Tesla can spend $75k on drivetrain, $40k on the rest of the truck, and still gross $35k on a truck sold for $150k. This becomes a fantastic deal for the truck operator who can save alot of money on fuel and maintenance.

There is no need for Tesla to lease this out to make it at compelling purchase. Leasing is a financing option that some buyers will want, but it is simply a finance option, not an essential business model. For example, some buyers will lease a Model S, but this is not essential to Tesla's business model. It's also a compelling outright purchase with cash.

What MS is suggesting is that Tesla put a half size battery (about 300kWh) in the truck and lease it out at $75k or more, which implies 50% markup on the battery alone, and probably as much on the rest of the cab as well.

Let's say Tesla offers a 600kWh pack. This could provide a loaded range of 200 to 300 miles. Let's also suppose they use a chemistry that has long cycle life, say 2500 cycles. So at lower end of range, that is 500k miles, maybe more, but that works to the advantage of the lessor. So at Tesla's cost this is $0.15/mile, even assuming 3kWh/mile. So if Tesla can lease this out at $0.30 to $0.45 per mile, Tesla does stand to make crazy high markup. But this is largely at the expense of a customer who would be better off buying the battery outright. This essentially leaves the door wide open for competitors to step in and under cut Tesla with potentially inferior products. I don't think this is sort of strategy Musk would pursue. Rather, I think he'll want to lease at say $0.20/mile and offer swaps and Supercharging at near cost. One can buy outright, trade in batteries at swap stations or Supercharge for a fair price. Both buy/lease options are fairly priced.

Extrapolating from some model S owner concerns about the single swap station (concerned that they'll be swapping their brand new pack for a moderately used one), I think a battery leasing model (or more accurately a "charge storage" leasing model) makes much more sense with a battery-swap type of "refueling" plan. Firstly, battery swapping just sounds financially more attractive (downtime for supercharging, even @ 350kw, are operating costs to the truck operator). If you're going to swap, then you shouldn't have to worry about the condition of the new battery versus what you've just turned in. Leasing the battery takes that worry away, since it wasn't really "yours" in the first place. So that part of the MS analysis makes sense, but the rest was garbage.

Throwing my own idea on a charge-storage leasing model:
- The Tesla semi uses a number of 100kwh flat packs (stackable), from 1 - 5?.
- The truck operator purchases the truck and puts down a security deposit for how many packs they'll use at any time for their operations.
- They can recharge at the depot (if it's for short-range use only) on the operator's own dime, or swap out their used packs for freshly charged ones (X for X exchange) for the nominal cost of the charge-difference (between the packs being exchanged) plus a swap fee (tesla's fee to recoup the capital cost of supplying the batteries and swap station).
- Tesla's swap stations will rely on utility power + solar panels to charge the batteries. The software will preference solar to charge enough batteries for swap-station use, and falling back to utility power only when more batteries have been swapped out than anticipated. This implies a Tesla energy cost of $0.10/kwh (or whatever the normalized cost of Tesla Solar's panels will be) + utility connection cost.
- The reason to call it charge-storage, is because a nearly degraded 75kwh (formerly 100kwh) battery pack can still be accepted by the customer as they only care about the usable energy stored in the packs.

This should optimize the costs to Tesla - minimizes peak-demand charges and electricity costs, while maintaining more than enough supply of batteries for truck operator use. Any extra capital needed for holding extra batteries can be offset by taking warehouse loans against those extra batteries as available inventory. So the swap fee should be:
( Cost of battery pack + cost of capital from warehouse loan + 100% profit margin to cover station expense ) / (charge cycles of the batteries)

guesstimating:
assuming $25k per 100kwh flat pack
==> ($25,000 + ($25,000)(6.5% per year * 3 years) + ($25,000)(1.0)) / 2000
==> $25,000 (1 + 0.195 + 1) / 2000
==> $27.437 per swapped battery pack + $0.10/kwh difference between swapped packs (~$10 per fully depleted 100kwh pack).

With numbers like that (unless I messed something up), a competitor can't compete without replicating the entire truck-battery-solar ecosystem.

Let me revise this. We need an inverse term in Drive.

Anci = An/v
Aero = Ca*v^2
Drive = Ad/v + Bd + Cd*v + Dd*(Anci + Tires + Aero)

Here is what I am eyeball from the chart.

An = 215

At = 50
Bt = 0.1

Ca = 150/70^2 = 0.0306

Ad = 470
Bd = 10
Cd = 0.89
Dd = 0.065

All these parameter have some physical meaning. So it would be good to look at that to help anchor estimate and to know how they could change for other vehicles.

For example, Dd is the loss due to the inverter. So 0.065 implies 93.5% inverter efficiency. This seems about right and may hold up in other vehicles that use the same inverter. I suspect with the performance inverter Tesla may have improved upon this since the Roadster days.

I don't know how to help here, but want to try. Where did the formulas and variables come from? Or is that what you're trying to figure out?

chart (5).png

Crude has been taking a tumble lately. The market seems bipolar. It tries to ride high on optimism, which provides enough hope and futures for shale producers to keep drilling, hedging as they go. Then a bout of pessimism comes in knocks the price down about 10%. I suspect the hedging slows up just enough for prices to recover a bit.

India’s Hunger For Oil Storage Causes Long Gas Lines In Sri Lanka | OilPrice.com

This is interest. India is stockpiling crude. It would like about 37M bbl in storage. Last year, China stockpiled about a 90-day supply, and this year India aspires to a 10-day supply. I suspect these inventories give the two countries more purchasing power.

This also suggests that the price of oil continues to be bolstered by demand for storage and not so much by demand for consumption. I suspect that lots of developing countries may be doing the same, albeit at a small enough scale not to make a whole lot of news. But developing countries that are net crude importers definitely have economic motives to help protect their economies from future price shocks, and now is good time to stock up.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
India’s Hunger For Oil Storage Causes Long Gas Lines In Sri Lanka | OilPrice.com

This is interest. India is stockpiling crude. It would like about 37M bbl in storage. Last year, China stockpiled about a 90-day supply, and this year India aspires to a 10-day supply. I suspect these inventories give the two countries more purchasing power.

This also suggests that the price of oil continues to be bolstered by demand for storage and not so much by demand for consumption. I suspect that lots of developing countries may be doing the same, albeit at a small enough scale not to make a whole lot of news. But developing countries that are net crude importers definitely have economic motives to help protect their economies from future price shocks, and now is good time to stock up.

Interesting dynamic. Countries storing oil while prices are low, potentially maintaining a pricing floor, while producers are hedging above $50, creating a ceiling. Big hitters could make money selling spread options, further tightening the market. Just saying this is almost enough to break the rule, but it seems like you can short the market (buy SCO) if it hits $52-54 and long the market if it hits $48 (I'm not a trader, so I won't be doing this).
Longer term, either a black swan event could drive up prices in a short or medium term supply interruption, or history will take over and push prices down and $40 to $50 could become the new range for a while. A whole series of events that will reduce oil and natural gas demand in the next 3 years.

Big trends pushing oil down:
  • China finishing stockpiles
  • China selling 10% EV's
  • China EV bus fleet
  • Tesla selling over 500,000 vehicles
  • Tesla Semi-trailer
  • TE growing faster than TA
  • Australia eliminating peaker plants
Seems like a lot of long term events are coming up in the next 18 months that will reset the price floor down to 40 or even $30 a bbl, but a military or political surprise could create a short term spike.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and Lessmog

https://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/EPPD_Brochure_English_2012_02.pdf
According to the International Energy Program treaty of 1974, the 28 industrialized nations are to stockpile the equivalent of 90 days of imports.

This is really difficult for any country with both declining conventional reserves and a growing middle class.

I would add, India was until about 5 years ago, independently sovereign in naval ability, then China surrounded India with a pearl string from Pakistan to Sri Lanka to Burma. India woke up one morning to find her ocean trade routes are now available due to a harmonious relationship with China.

How long would India last with a Chinese naval blockade? we now know. 10 days.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and jhm
https://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/EPPD_Brochure_English_2012_02.pdf
According to the International Energy Program treaty of 1974, the 28 industrialized nations are to stockpile the equivalent of 90 days of imports.

This is really difficult for any country with both declining conventional reserves and a growing middle class.

I would add, India was until about 5 years ago, independently sovereign in naval ability, then China surrounded India with a pearl string from Pakistan to Sri Lanka to Burma. India woke up one morning to find her ocean trade routes are now available due to a harmonious relationship with China.

How long would India last with a Chinese naval blockade? we now know. 10 days.
This is very interesting. I did no know there was a treaty about such things. Thanks.

my own country has basically given up on sustaining a 90 day reserve.
Historically Australia had a decent reserve, due to local oil production, but over the past 20 years that has been diminishing. Local oil production also tends to justify the local refineries. No oil - no refinery - no storage (and much greater need for intentional storage)

But over the same timeframe, we are also become the world's No 2 or No 1 LNG exporter, which is linked to the price oil anyway.....
so we became an oilless oil state.

anyway, India has an impossible task to get to 90 days oil reserve, unless something sensible happens. (which is highly unlikely in India, too corrupt, in too many places)

I think China will be more hands on in handling their oil reserve, very different to western governments.
And most likely a profitable endeavour. buy low, sell high is not that hard for a government to do.

• Informative
Reactions: jhm and neroden
It also raises the effect of American self sufficiency on oil, the global price/production of oil must drop if American's stop bidding for global oil. like the house auction referred to earlier.

Ironically, drill baby drill will eventually reduce the global production of oil, not increase it. (same for Keystone XL)

Reactions: neroden
It also raises the effect of American self sufficiency on oil, the global price/production of oil must drop if American's stop bidding for global oil. like the house auction referred to earlier.

Ironically, drill baby drill will eventually reduce the global production of oil, not increase it. (same for Keystone XL)
By "global production" do you mean production just for export or otherwise excluding production for domestic consumption? Otherwise, I'm not seeing your logic. How do you see an increase in North American production which itself is part of global production lead to a reduction in global production? The obvious first order effect is to increase global production, but perhaps there are second order effects that come into play to reverse that.

New Oil Discoveries Slump To 2.4 Billion Barrels In 2016 | OilPrice.com

2.4B barrels of new oil found in 2016. I like seeing this number drop to historic low, but still wonder is there really is an economic case for looking for any new oil.

It cracks me up how Birol Fatih keeps "warning" that such declines could someday lead to tight oil supplies. Who needs this warning? I'm sure the oil industry would love to be profitable again some day?

The warning that industry needs is not to waste money finding new oil while known reserves are more than twice what will ever need to be produced in the long run. And in the short run, stop producing so much damn oil. It's ruining the price for everyone.

I suspect that what these false warning are about is insecurity about the relevance of oil going forward. The anxiety is not that supplies may someday become tight. The anxiety is that someday nobody will care about the supply of oil. And nobody will care about Birol Fatih or the IEA.

Saudi Aramco CEO Says Peak Oil Demand Is a Misleading Theory
The boss of Saudi Arabia’s state oil company defended petroleum as the mainstay of the global economy, countering theories that demand will peak within years with his own forecast that consumption will keep growing for decades.

“The global economy is forecast to double in size by 2050” so overall demand for energy will be higher, Saudi Arabian Oil Co. Chief Executive Officer Amin Nasser said at the International Oil Summit in Paris. The idea that oil demand is close to its maximum level is “equally as misleading” as now-discredited theories about peak oil supply, he said.

Ha!

How about this misleading theory? Demand for oil is so strong that oil producers may never need to cut production.

These days I am included to return to a peak oil supply thesis. Specifically, the only way for producers to get profitable oil prices is to keep cutting production. Supply cannot keep growing within a range of historic inflation adjusted prices, i.e. $20 to $40 per barrel. Thus a return to historic prices puts oil supply into structural decline.

Reactions: neroden and ggies07
gotta keep up the spirits before the IPO!
This Goldman salesperson has been all over TV spouting that deamand will clearly grow substantially over the next few years, zero evidence. These people are clearly inside the actual OPEC meetings and their fortunes are almost certainly tied to the interests of OPEC.

Goldman's Currie Sees High Chance OPEC Will Extend Output Curbs

These are sales guys pitching the IPO. What's the point of even interviewing them?

Reactions: neroden and jhm