Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too cheap to keep: How throwing away power is the best way to balance the grid

Don’t build a battery that costs $1 billion, only works 2% of the time and only moves around 100 GWh of electricity. Instead, build an Energy Imbalance Market or an Extended Day Ahead Market for $100 million that moves around hundreds of GWh of electricity.

Fortunately it turns out the duck curve is largely a manifestation of conventional thinking. An appreciation for both supply and demand side technologies reveals there are far more affordable ways to deal with the duck curve. The demand side needs to learn how to dance to the rhythm of the supply side

The cheapest form of flexibility we have on the power system is price signals combined with demand response. The California Department of Water Resources pumps in California are a good example of this. Ten years ago these pumps operated in the middle of the night but today they operate in the middle of the day when solar is plentiful. This is around 1 GW of water-pumping load that behaves in a totally different way — thanks to new price signals.
I think this article is overly simplistic. However, the really key point is that we need power consumer that can respond to price signal. Just formulating some alternative pricing plans can lead to some surprising results.

For example, most retail customer are paying a flat12c/kWh rate. The flat rate transmit no real-time price signal. So the customer demands power whenever they like. Let's suppose the price breaks down to 5c/kWh for distribution + 6c/kWh avg generation cost + 1c/kWh profit. Thus, mostly fixed overhead is 50% of the rate.

Now, consider variable rate plan that simply marks up the real-time generation cost by 50%. So if a customer has the same avg consumption behaviors, their average price is 12c/kWh just like the guy on the flat rate plan. But suppose the several hours each day the price generation price is below 2c/kWh and several hours above 10c/kWh. Suppose this customer does have a PowerWall. They can charge at less than 4c/kWh and discharge for self-consumption at 20c/kWh. Thus, they make a spread of 16c/kWh for time shifting. This actually goes quite a long ways toward paying for the battery. A battery with 5000 cycle life would net $800 per kWh capacity minus the cost of the battery, installation and financing. So this is easily a money making opportunity and require no capex investment from the utility. The customer can also charge their Tesla Model Y at lower prices and avoid unnecessary consumption when prices are higher. So this customer can totally reduce their power bill below 12c/kWh. The utility also avoids needing to invest so much in peak generation capacity. The utilization of distribution and generation assets is also improved. So even though the 50% mark up may be less in c/kWh, these efficiencies make up for that. Moreover, this sort of customer might well consume more power total. The PowerWall and Model Y is incremental consumption. So it is entirely possible that profit per customer can go up.

Now if this utility felt it was giving away too much battery opportunity to customers under the variable plan, the simple solution is for that utility to invest more in its own batteries. That would narrow the spread that the customer makes, rather than 16c/kWh maybe 12c/kWh. If that spread goes too low, then few customers will install their own home battery. Additionally, if the utility want to build out more wind and solar and spill the excess, that excess takes the lower prices down to 0c/kWh. This increases the spread back up to 16c/kWh or so and induces more customers to buy EVs and home batteries.

So the point here is that when customers get strong price signals, the utility can avoid lots of capital investment. Rather customers will make capital purchases that take advantage of price signals. And this points us the fundamental problem of utilities. Utilities have no strong incentive to avoid capital spending. They generally get to make a near guaranteed profit on assets. So they actually prefer the flat rate plan because it justifies building out more assets. More assets, more money. As a regulated monopoly they have a perverse incentive to be very capital inefficient. That is the problem.

Will Biden Be As Bad For Oil As Critics Suggest? | OilPrice.com
I actually find myself agreeing with Robert Rapier here. The oil & gas industry really has little to fear in a Biden Administration. If Biden can beat back Covid-19, that would be the best thing for oil and gas and everyone else. Longer term, Tesla and others keep eroding oil demand by scaling up battery and EV production. Biden can be supportive of that, but Tesla will plow ahead regardless who is in the White House.

Curve can possibly be bent, but as with the outgoing coal friendly administration, much stronger economic forces had something else in mind:

main.svg

Short term outlook from the EIA is that in 2021 coal gen will be up while gas gen down. I believe the issue here is fuel switching. Gas prices exiting 2020 are near $3/mmBtu, up $1/mmBtu from the bulk of the year. There is plenty of excess capacity of both coal and gas. So whenever the price of gas goes up, coal moves up in the merit order and does more generating.

The gas industry likes to tout how much emissions gas has reduced (relative to coal baseline), but much of this is bases on delivering gas at unprofitably low prices ($3/mmBtu and below). This only works if oil drilling activity also supplies lots of associated gas. But when oil demand goes into decline as seen with Covid, the associated gas supply shrinks, and the price of gas goes up.

So natural gas is not a a reliable longer-term reduction in coal generation. Coal generation will come back whenever gas prices creep above $3/mmBtu. The only lasting reductions in emissions from coal and gas comes from renewable energy.

The critical $3/mmBtu price level is roughly where coal and gas break-even against each other. It is important for solar-wind-batteries (in locally optimal proportion) to beat coal. This also means it beats gas whenever the gas price is near $3/mmBtu. The difficulty is that you can't fuel switch with RE in a short time frame (less than 12 months). It takes time to bring new RE capacity on line, but once that new capacity is built it locks in a demand reduction for fossil gen that lasts for several decades.

The frustrating thing is that a year or two of low gas prices can slow up the pace of RE installations. So really cheap gas can durably lock out RE by slowing the pace of buildout of RE. I believe that this asymmetry in response to price signal calls into question the dubious claim that gas is making a long-term reduction in emissions from the power sector. In the short run low gas prices switch generation from coal to gas for a short-term reduction in emissions, but this low gas prices also slow the buildout of RE which makes it take longer for RE to remove both coal and gas emissions from the power markets. Are the short-term reductions enough to offset the slower pace to zero emissions in the long run? I suspect that they are not, but would love to see some analysis to test this.

So this gets us back to associated gas. We seriously need to accelerate EV production. Any softening or even reduction in oil demand will also suppress the production of associated gas. This drives the price of gas above $3/mmBtu. In the short-term there will be some fuel switching from gas to coal, but this will accelerate RE buildout. RE will make more progress this decade, if there is less associated gas on the market. We've got to keep the long game in sight.

EIA renewables projections are just a hair less ridiculous that IEA. Gas is already thinking about peaking, they have growth continuing well past 2050. Seems...... unlikely.
They don't have wind and solar growing fast enough past 2025 for any reduction in carbon emissions. Indeed, coal is flat and gas is growing. That is a sure path to climate destruction.

This is odd because batteries and solar will be be substantially cheaper at this time. Onshore wind will be cheaper too, but likely offshore wind will fall even more. So economically it will be much easier for solar, wind and batteries to grow fast past 2025.

But aside from the learning curve economics, the political analysis is weak. Climate action is becoming a stronger political issue. Cheap renewables create lots of jobs, cleaning the air and resisting the devastation of climate change seen in real-time (fires, floods, hurricanes). Also younger voters get engaged while the oldest voters pass away. So the climate action platform only becomes stronger with each election cycle. Come 2024 or 2028, either renewables are taking off on simple economics or the public is demanding a faster pace of change. But most likely both are happening. It's simply unacceptable to arrive at 2030 with the US grid spewing more carbon than ever.

Also EVs are dominating the US auto market around 2027. This is both expanding demand for grid power as well as creating new ways to make money from RE apart from selling into the grid. I expect that EIA analysts are not fully comprehending just how profound these new changes can be. Cheap excess solar power can be soaked up by EV fleets like a sponge. All that is really needed is workplace and public charging that rewards EV owners who plug-in to be rewarded with cheap power. This sort of program would increase the value of solar, which is key to accelerating the buildout of more solar capacity. I would be very surprised if the EIA analysts are even attempting to model such developments. But the very structure of energy markets will be altered by EVs. Models that made sense for the last 50 years just won't cut it. The power markets have never experienced a transformation that opens up EVs and batteries can do.

Later in the 2030s I think we'll see electrolyzers scale up. That will transform the power markets a second time (after the first transformation to high penetration of EVs).

Sorry, one last topic drift item had to share.

Coal projection is entertaining:
main.svg

I consider these entirely on topic. I'm of the belief that we can use the coal progression as an early indicator of what the other fossil fuels progress will be on. Those other curves are clearly delayed, and they might be stretched, relative to coal. But I think it's the best model of what the others will see.

And most importantly, these graphs are in terms of units (which we care about for climate change). The market value of the coal, and especially the market value of the companies that are providing the coal, are different and more dramatic curve. The market value of companies is what we care about as investors (whether buying stock, or lending money).

And the benefits (or costs) to investors is important to understand as well as a leading indicator to future unit capacity (and therefore effect on climate change). Or of course, to our ability to make money on these investments :)

Entirely on topic! And good stuff.

Factbox: Oil refiners shut plants as demand losses may never return

Refiners are shutting down crude processing capacity permanently. This article lists 16+ plants. The named capacity on 4 of them averages 133 kb/d. So I figure that about 1.6 mb/d is at risk.

Notice NZ will replace its only refinery with an import terminal. As global refinery capacity remains oversupplied, importing refined goods can be the more economical solution for smaller markets. This could become a trend in many small markets.

At any rate, this is what asset stranding looks like. The permanent closure of about 1.6 mb/d capacity suggests that refiners know demand has peaked, and in many places it will be cheaper to import final products than to process crude.

Factbox: Oil refiners shut plants as demand losses may never return

Refiners are shutting down crude processing capacity permanently. This article lists 16+ plants. The named capacity on 4 of them averages 133 kb/d. So I figure that about 1.6 mb/d is at risk.

Notice NZ will replace its only refinery with an import terminal. As global refinery capacity remains oversupplied, importing refined goods can be the more economical solution for smaller markets. This could become a trend in many small markets.

At any rate, this is what asset stranding looks like. The permanent closure of about 1.6 mb/d capacity suggests that refiners know demand has peaked, and in many places it will be cheaper to import final products than to process crude.

Here's another one in the USA closing. They are still going to make asphalt & lubricants, but no more fuel at this plant.

PBF Energy to shut fuel-producing units at Paulsboro, New Jersey refinery

I usually like talk kept to shorting oil, but this was just too hilarious. Turned on CNBC this morning just in time to hear the last Cramer comments on apparently a General Electric upgrade from someone? Their rationale......projected gas turbine growth!

Analysts are morons, we all know this. But to look at GE's death-wish decision committing to coal in 2010-15, and not draw the fairly obvious comparison to gas it just mind-blowing. All parties are literally DOING THE EXACT SAME THING yet again!

We are truly just monkeys walking around upright.

I usually like talk kept to shorting oil, but this was just too hilarious. Turned on CNBC this morning just in time to hear the last Cramer comments on apparently a General Electric upgrade from someone? Their rationale......projected gas turbine growth!

Analysts are morons, we all know this. But to look at GE's death-wish decision committing to coal in 2010-15, and not draw the fairly obvious comparison to gas it just mind-blowing. All parties are literally DOING THE EXACT SAME THING yet again!

We are truly just monkeys walking around upright.
As batteries ramp up, the will be a market for second-hand gas turbines that satisfies all demand for new turbines.

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
Fossils provide 80% of primary energy, but only 60% of useful energy.

This is a good overview of the primary energy illusion we've discussed.
Firstly....for folks looking to read Bloomberg article links, Pocket is a great app that lets you save articles to your phone or PC for reading later even without a connection. As a side benefit, you can "pocket" a paywalled Bloomberg article and it'll appear in your list that you can then read via the app.

Secondly.....I loved that chart showing the transition to renewables illustrating just how much waste there is in refinery and transport. Anyone have that and can post?

Thirdly.....with all this Tesla and vaccine talk, I feel like the markets are overshooting the oil glut as if it's now magically gone. With all these new lockdowns, we're gonna have a demand issue at exactly the wrong time. The glut of December futures contracts seems to have worked itself out, but I still feel there's an end of year reckoning in the works. Two months from now OPEC+ curtails are expected to be lifted if I'm not mistaken. And those two months are going to be mostly on lockdown across Europe and North America. Not good.