Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should a 2020 Model 3 make a warning sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, though it is a very different sound between forward and reverse.
Reverse = jetsons
Forward = static whooshing

That said, the sound doesn't always happen consistently for me, especially in reverse. Maybe 3 out of 10 times it does not make a sound backing out of my garage.

• Informative
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
The forward sound is very akin to white noise, and quite subtle if you don't know exactly what to listen for. Unless you have perfectly awful acoustics, it's quite difficult to hear from inside the car, and it's only engaged below 19 MPH.

You can see a small speaker to the left of your car rendering on your screen when the speaker is on, as far as I can tell. The forward sound is very light compared to reverse. At first I thought I didn't have a sound i heard it only in my garage with no other noise around. Even then, it sounds like a fan, air noise, we don't typically Listen for that so you can miss it.

If that happens I'll have to plug it back in and think of something else. I really don't like the idea of an external noisemaker on my car though.
You mean the one designed for the safety of others (pedestrians)? If you can't hear it from inside the car (which I've read you really can't), why would this be a problem?

You mean the one designed for the safety of others (pedestrians)? If you can't hear it from inside the car (which I've read you really can't), why would this be a problem?
Yes, I mean that one. You can hear the reverse noise and it's annoying to me and those pedestrians you claim to care about. I look in the direction I am traveling to avoid hitting people and random animals. My bicycle makes no noise and I never hit anybody on that, so I'll just continue to pay attention.

I ordered last week. I plan on unplugging the speaker if mine has it.
not a good idea in case you ever hit a pedestrian in a parking lot. After all, that is one of the big reasons it is a requirement. You might pay dearly for having done that. And to say, your bicycle doesn't weigh thousands of pounds. Just saying you are taking an unnecessary legal risk just because you don't like the sound which is less than the sound of the ICE car engine you probably drove for years. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevy Baby
Yes, I mean that one. You can hear the reverse noise and it's annoying to me and those pedestrians you claim to care about. I look in the direction I am traveling to avoid hitting people and random animals. My bicycle makes no noise and I never hit anybody on that, so I'll just continue to pay attention.
Got it: your personal comfort over the safety of others

• Love
Reactions: Silicon Desert
There was an article, I think on electrek.com, quoting Elon discussing future uses for the bumper speaker - related to the car producing its own audible comments. As far as disconnecting, I guess that just goes against my grain. I think the reverse sound is actually cool, and I can barely hear the forward sound. But, to each his own.