TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Should a reboot always be done after a software update?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Barry, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Barry

Barry Member

This is my first one since getting the car.

2. ra-san

ra-san Member

The update itself will reboot components, potentially multiple times. I wouldn't worry about doing it yourself unless you see a problem (but then I'd also make a note to service).

To me, if an update (on anything) required the user to reboot the device too after the update, I'd regard it as a flaw in the update process.

3. green1

green1 Active Member

Many owners post problems after every update, almost all of them are solved by a reboot.

It's not like rebooting the car takes that long, or is that hard to do, I've never understood the reluctance to do so.

Just reboot the thing after every update, and as the first step in any troubleshooting, you'll save yourself a lot of grief.

4. jacobp

jacobp Member

My OCD shines through after every update. I go through every settings option and toggle the switch back and forth from the setting i want to the opposite setting. Then i reboot both screens. Then i toggle every setting back to what i want and reboot both screens again. Like I said, it's an OCD thing.

5. taurusking

taurusking Member

I think like any other computer...MS also needs reboot after every update.

6. JPP

JPP Active Member

I'm a geek from before the word was invented (...anyone remember Hollerith cards??). Reboots are always in order.

7. Barry

Barry Member

Thanks. Yes, I remember them. I also remember typing them up, walking across campus to feed them into the card reader and going back the next day to see if it ran :smile:

8. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

A manual reboot is unnecessary in my opinion because the car will do so on its own as part of the software installation.

9. OrlandoKen

OrlandoKen Member

How do you re-boot?

10. smartypnz

smartypnz Member

Does it hurt? I mean, why not do it? Or if one likes waiting till some irritating occurrence and then reboot.

11. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

To reboot the central screen press and hold both scroll wheels on the steering wheel for 5 seconds.
    To reboot the instrument panel press and hold both buttons below the scroll wheels for 5 seconds.

12. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

You should reboot, and then throw some salt over your shoulder.

Seriously though, I haven't manually rebooted once in 4 months and multiple software updates. As stated above the updates trigger a reboot anyways.

13. Ames

Ames Member

I don't know why but this reminds me of the airport information desk on Airplane 2 (1982) "Should I fake my orgasms?" YES. *** ducks while moderator tosses my ill advised and infantile post to virtual sin bin ***

14. green1

green1 Active Member

Nice theory, but after every update people flood the forum with odd issues that end up being solved days later when they finally reboot manually. So save yourself the grief and reboot at the first sign of any quirkiness. It's dead simple, takes almost no time, and solves a lot of issues.
    and best of all, there is absolutely no down side whatsoever.

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Rebooting is never a bad idea after an update. My experience has been that doing so won't save you from rebooting later. It seems the frequency of required reboots has increased with the software versions.

16. andydoty

andydoty Member

The only thing I would recommend is to NOT reboot until you're completely sure the update as completed. I've found that the car can be in various stages of responsiveness during the update/upgrade. The interesting thing is I was having a bluetooth issue and the reboot fixed it. This is a double edged sword though. Sometimes when these bugs happen, while rebooting fixed them, it doesn't often permit Tesla to resolve them in future updates unless it's communicated to them. Basically, I wouldn't keep rebooting to fix a nagging issue.

17. LaTache

LaTache Member

I have never rebooted and have never had a problem. Rebooting primarily helps with OCD as previously stated again and again and again ;-)

18. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

I've rebooted a few times to solve minor problems. Normally I take a picture with a timestamp first so the SC can pull the logs and look at what he problem was.
    For those wondering, a reboot can be done while driving. (done it when 3G would stop working for me while driving).

Haven't had to reboot for about 4 months now. (hope I didn't just jinx myself).

19. JPP

JPP Active Member

Instrument panel reboot is using both UPPER buttons....

20. Thud

Thud Member

I've had my car for just over 4 months and I've had to reboot maybe twice during that period. The most recent was during a trip (when I still had 6.1), with lots of flipping back and forth between apps on the main screen, and eventually it just started getting sluggish and unresponsive.