Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should biohazard defense mode be a standard safety feature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tander

Jul 23, 2012
So I happen to live in an area that apparently has the worst air quality in the world right now (from wildfires) and was thinking that the biohazard defense mode (or maybe just call it something more boring) really ought to be just a standard safety feature on every car, Tesla or not, even when air quality isn't that bad. As a Tesla shareholder I really think it ought to be considered as such, even for the model y, 3, and future budget models. It really should not be considered a luxury item, and I bet it could be quite reasonably priced if it was manufactured at scale. I think most people in my area would happily trade all their air bags for it right now, especially the first responders. I think you could even argue that it would save lives from the standpoint that a cop or firefighter sitting in their car with super clean air is probably going to make better decisions than one that is inhaling particulates all day. And I haven't done the math but I wouldn't be surprised if it could actually save more lives than air bags too (not that air bags shouldn't also be standard, it's just an interesting comparison). Anyway just figured I'd start the conversation and see if anyone else has thought about this or worth starting a petition or something?

Reactions: RubberToe
Since you mentioned "to get the conversation going". I dont agree that is a "safety" feature. One could argue much easier that all autonomous driving aids are a safety feature, and should be included and turned on, easier than you could convince people that some special mode for filtering air is a safety feature.

Given that a person can make statistics read whatever they want, I dont doubt that you could find someone to create some statistics that say having such a mode will save more lives than airbags... but that statement doesnt pass the "smell test" in the slightest.

As for whether "all the people in your area would trade air bags for it right now" I would bet that you would find the answer to that if you actually polled them would be "no".

• Disagree
Reactions: tander
Since you mentioned "to get the conversation going". I dont agree that is a "safety" feature. One could argue much easier that all autonomous driving aids are a safety feature, and should be included and turned on, easier than you could convince people that some special mode for filtering air is a safety feature.

Given that a person can make statistics read whatever they want, I dont doubt that you could find someone to create some statistics that say having such a mode will save more lives than airbags... but that statement doesnt pass the "smell test" in the slightest.

As for whether "all the people in your area would trade air bags for it right now" I would bet that you would find the answer to that if you actually polled them would be "no".
Have you read much about air pollution deaths? Air pollution That's the math I'm talking about, it's pretty well established, many more people are effected by air pollution than traffic accidents. That's part of why other countries like China, with some of the worst pollution have been faster to adopt electric vehicles. And air quality is also proven to effect decision making. For example I was driving in it last week, smoke so thick the sun never came out one day, just a dark red haze all day. On the freeway many of the cars were swerving like they'd just gotten out of the bar bouncing around in their lanes, not to mention all the people making other types of decisions in those circumstances. Or imagine having to evacuate your home on short notice in the middle of the night, or maybe you literally are just getting out of the bar, the person getting into the Tesla at least would have clean air to breathe, most other cars not so much. I obviously haven't done the study but it seems pretty reasonable that anyone in my area would have loved to have had clean air in the cars last week, I'd bet you that anyone who's experienced would happily trade their air bags for the week. I did put an air quality sensor in my car (not a Tesla) and found that the cabin air filter improved the air but it was still at a hazardous level. I even jerry rigged a small room filter to a portable battery in the car and that was extremely nice to have, only wish I'd thought of it sooner or that I had bio defense mode built in.