Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you like every car on the road making noise or would you have them transmit a silent signal that is received by a box that is carried by one of the 10 million blind in the US?

I'd go for this idea.

As a point of reference, the FAA's new ADS-B requirement will soon require all airplanes to carry transmitters to announce their position.

FAA - Surveillance and Broadcast Services

This technology is supposed to help pilots do their own traffic avoidance, and ease congestion by allowing planes to fly closer together. Right now, radar updates so slowly that controllers are forced to space airplanes several minutes apart to "guarantee" minimum separation.

ADS-B is expensive -- even cheap ones are said to cost $6,000+ -- but some similar announcing technology could be used for cars. It would actually be nice to have the ability to know that another car is in your blind spot, and the blind could have similar receivers alerting them to passing cars.

Do we really need more gadgets to carry around? Particularly ones which will only be needed in a somewhat narrow set of circumstances and must be purchased/subsidized by/for those on invalidity levels of income.

The advantage of ordinary hearing is that you can immediately identify the direction of the sound source. Some sort of personal-quiet-car-detector would have to communicate direction in a NON-visual way. Tricky = expensive.

What about cellphones? Can't we just piggyback off of that? Bet we could even hack together a BlueTooth solution now. Could even probably just use donated old cellphones. May require re-flashing those phones without Java, but it'd be pretty darned cheap.

And I'd buy $2000 worth of those bracelets for the disabled if it meant I didn't have to have any lame sound generator on my car.

Agreed. Unless a law is passed, I see little reason to add a noisemaker.

And for the companies working on generators, here's a clue: I don't want your sounds; I want to be able to have it generate sounds of my choosing. For me, if my Roadster has to make a noise, it's gonna be the cool Jetson's car sound. I've always liked that sound. Also, make these generators have the ability to sense ground speed, and to vary the sound based on it.

A solution in search of a problem
When I pull up in my driveway, I wouldn't mind being able to turn on some kind of noisemaker. I have cats that roam around and obviously I don't want to run them over. More importantly, if my kids are playing outside, it'd be nice for them to hear that a car is coming, even though I always drive super slow.