Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We should be able to pick the sound. I'd even like to be able to switch sounds....like from a Lamborghini to a older VW Bug.
I loathe the idea of the general public (i.e. other people) being able to pick their sounds. I hear enough of their radios to know they will pick the most annoying (and sometimes hazardous) cacophony imaginable.

I must admit that I'm very aware how quite my car is when pulling out of a parking space, especially if in between two larger vehicles. I can't see who might be coming until I start to pull out and they can't hear me so I move very carefully. Others might not be as cautious. I would not mind a couple of beeps, especially in reverse. I've thought of adding a back up beeper but they are too loud and obnoxious.

How is this implemented in the Leaf or Karma? Is there a speaker behind the front bumper?
For the Leaf:
The system is controlled through a computer and synthesizer in the dash panel, and the sound is delivered through a speaker in the engine compartment. A switch inside the vehicle can turn off sounds temporarily. The system automatically resets to "On" at the next ignition cycle.
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/2010/_STORY/100611-01-e.html

The Karma has two chrome speakers on the rear bumper (they kind of look like exhaust, but they are not). They call it "Fisker Hybrid HZ external sound".

I am a reservation holder and heared there are countries in Europe that will make a law to oblige EV's to produce a sound when driving at low speed. This would be for safety reasons since people don't hear the car when crossing a street or walking at parking etc.

Any thoughts ?

Absolutely. I have never considered that feature on an ICE a plus in the states (many models offer it). However, after nearly two weeks experience in my new MS, I believe there is a significant need for that because road noise ( the only noise you get in the MS) seems to increase exponentially with speed. In an ICE, you always have that motor noise in the background so you do not experience to extreme level of "quiet" that you do in the MS when traveling at 40 mile per hour (65 k/hr) or less. I hope the EU enacts the legislation OR Tesla considers this feature by the time your MS delivers.

An interesting thought is whether such a change could be accommodated solely through a software update rather than hardware or a combination of hardware/software. Obviously, the former makes it more of a realistic probability. Check out the forum that deals with owners' desired future software changes and I think I saw this as an item on the list - could be wrong, however.

Cheers!