Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately there are bound to be instances of pedestrians being hit by EVs. The problem is pedestrians depending on their ears and not their eyes, and drivers not actively watching for them. Even so, this is offset by the fact that EVs save far more lives due to the lack of pollution and lack of dependence on oil from our enemies. Every year, about 64,000 people in the United States die prematurely from heart and lung disease due to particulate air pollution (ref). Since EVs emit much less pollution (make that zero pollution when plugged into a clean power source), even when you figure in the chance of increased collisions with pedestrians, in the end it's clear that they save more lives.

Of course the sound issue is also a temporary problem, because:
1. As EVs become more popular, people will start getting used to looking both ways before crossing the street (what a concept!)
2. Even now, there are cases of pedestrians getting hit because they're listening to their ipods and not watching where they're going.

John - If I were to not any more while reading your post, my head would fall off.

Those are exactly the points that make this all so silly. Where is the public outcry about how many people gas cars kill? We're more worried about the *potential* of killing blind people when we have the REALITY of killing all kinds of people independent of their sightedness!

Blind people are getting run down by gas cars today. Are the gas cars not loud enough? What about rear-engine buses and such where the noise maker is at least a couple of car lengths behind the deadly front bumper?

John - Do you have a better pointer for your reference?

Last edited:
Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act introduced to protect the blind from quiet cars

According to the newly-introduced Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2009, which was just introduced by U.S. Senators John Kerry (D-MA) and Arlen Specter (R-PA),... would require that the government "conduct a study on how to protect the blind and others from being injured or killed by vehicles using hybrid, electric, and other silent engine technologies." ...

How can we stop this? Or at least have the outcome be a burp.

PRESS RELEASE
U.S. Senators John Kerry and Arlen Specter Introduce Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act

National Federation of the Blind Applauds Measure to Protect Lives and Preserve Independence of Blind Americans

WASHINGTON, April 22 -- Senators John Kerry (D-MA) and Arlen Specter (R-PA) today introduced a bill, S. 841, intended to protect the blind and other pedestrians from injury or death as a result of silent vehicle technology. The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2009 requires the Secretary of Transportation to conduct a study on how to protect the blind and others from being injured or killed by vehicles using hybrid, electric, and other silent engine technologies.

Because blind pedestrians cannot locate and evaluate traffic using their vision, they must listen to traffic to discern its speed, direction, and other attributes in order to travel safely and independently. Other people, including pedestrians who are not blind, bicyclists, runners, and small children, also benefit from hearing the sound of vehicle engines. New vehicles that employ hybrid or electric engine technology can be silent, rendering them extremely dangerous in situations where vehicles and pedestrians come into proximity with each other.

"The National Federation of the Blind appreciates the wise and decisive action taken today by Senators Kerry and Specter to preserve the right to safe and independent travel for the blind," said Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind. "The blind, like all pedestrians, must be able to travel to work, to school, to church, and to other places in our communities without being injured or killed. This bill will benefit all pedestrians for generations to come as new vehicle technologies become more prevalent. The blind of America will do everything in our power to ensure its swift passage."

"I'm a major proponent of hybrid vehicles -- I own one, I drive one, and I've seen firsthand their environmental and economic benefits," said Senator Kerry. "The market is demanding new technologies in the auto industry, and Americans are demanding we finally kick our foreign oil addiction. As we continue to promote our energy independence, however, we must do more to ensure the safety of those who use senses other than sight to navigate the roads. I look forward to working with Secretary LaHood to ensure that hybrid vehicles are safe for everyone."

"Blind people have the same right to safe travel as all other pedestrians," said Senator Specter. "I look forward to working with my colleagues on this important legislation to ensure that the blind and other pedestrians can continue to travel safely and independently."

About the National Federation of the Blind

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the United States. The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and self-confidence. It is the leading force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's blind. In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.

I wrote

The only reason you can't hear an EV is because the loud Infernal combustion engines drown them out. Sit on a quite corner or rural road and note how noisy a bicycle is going by. No problem hearing it from 3-400 feet away.

Incentivize what you want and tax what you don't want.

Give tax rebates for quieter cars and add a tax to loud vehicles. A sliding scale would have automakers working real quick.

yes but only on mufflers :eek:

That, and then there are those not-quite-legal aftermarket exhaust mods :eek:

Darell, I couldn't find a link to the report itself, but this was the article from the NRDC which I read that references the report. Other helpful articles from the American Lung Association can be found here and here.

The sad reality is people are willing to accept the slow and painful deaths experienced by thousands every year as a result of air pollution from gasoline-fueled vehicles, but when there's a possibility a few people could get hit by a silent ZEV, suddenly it's a very different picture. I think some perspective is needed!

Pedestrian Safety Act of 2009 to investigate the dangers of silent automobile engines - Engadget

NFB - NFB

340x.jpg

Drivers could get a charge out of Chevrolet Volt - USATODAY.com
GM ... says the car will have some type of noisemaker to alert blind pedestrians crossing at intersections of Volt's presence.

Besides the insanity of GM's corporate cowtowing to special interest groups, the USA Today author dances with the crazy talk when he calls a section "Quiet" and prattles on about the electric motor not having whine during acceleration or slowing and later talks about the ICE motor's sound when it kicks in, but he just throws on the "noisemaker" comment on the end like means nothing.

Jeremy Clarkson, the Top Gear presenter and Sunday Times columnist, said: “The EU hasn’t done its sums. Something like 80% of the noise of cars comes from the tyres, not the engine or exhaust.

“When they call in the car industry to tell them, I expect the motor manufacturers will roll their eyes and say, ‘You hopeless money-grabbing bastards, you do realise you are talking nonsense?’ ”

:eek:

In the comments:

I'd heard that 80% of the noise comes from Clarkson.Perhaps Lotus should consider putting him under the bonnet !
:biggrin:

The European Union is set to follow America’s lead in forcing manufacturers to fit the vehicles with a simulator to make the same noise as the throaty revs of a petrol engine.
What was it that crazy lady used to say?... Oh yeah.
STOP THE INSANITY!!

I appreciated this comment:
Why stop there? Perhaps the European Union should require someone to walk in front with a flag...
Peter Cressall, La Lucila, Argentina

STOP THE INSANITY!!

Indeed

But I suppose it's better that Lotus (and therefore Tesla?) are involved up-front and can get some real numbers on this issue.

Not sure about Clarkson's 80% figure. That may only be true at the speeds he drives.

I'm guessing we're talking the 10-30mph range where the car isn't really moving fast enough for the tyres and the air turbulence over and around the spinning wheels to generate that much noise.

A real pity since most city traffic crawls along at these speeds, so there is likely to be a BIG missed opportunity to quieten busy urban areas.