Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not true. Exceptions affirm the rule. One would be ice road. Not safe to wear seatbelt on water.

I disagree: Which is more likely on an icy road: That you will end up in deep water and be unable to unbuckle, or that because of the ice another car will hit yours? I think the latter. I've had very few accidents in my almost 50 years of driving, but one of those was when I was rear-ended because the driver in back of me didn't stop in time because of ice on the road. That accident could have pushed my car out onto the main thoroughfare where I could have been hit by cross traffic. Not being belted in would have been a disaster.

But I will agree that if you plan on driving your car into deep water you should unbuckle first, and roll down the window so that you can open the door and escape. :eek:

Well two cars can't be next to each other on ice road (not icy road). Collision is... not doable.
iceroad.jpg

I disagree: Which is more likely on an icy road: That you will end up in deep water and be unable to unbuckle, or that because of the ice another car will hit yours? I think the latter. I've had very few accidents in my almost 50 years of driving, but one of those was when I was rear-ended because the driver in back of me didn't stop in time because of ice on the road. That accident could have pushed my car out onto the main thoroughfare where I could have been hit by cross traffic. Not being belted in would have been a disaster.

But I will agree that if you plan on driving your car into deep water you should unbuckle first, and roll down the window so that you can open the door and escape. :eek:
I'm still trying to figure out how you could get hit by another car while backing out of your garage. ;)

It takes two seconds to fasten or unfasten the seat belt, and it develops the habit. Accidents always happen when you don't expect them.
I contend that accidents only happen when you don't expect them. In fact, that's pretty much the definition of an accident.

I just wish that we didn't also use it as a euphemism for everything that goes bump on the road. If you are drunk and speeding and hit something.... that was not an accident. But that's how it'll be reported!

Reactions: APotatoGod
Accidents (indicating a mystical power involved) generally never exist, unless you are struck by a meteor. They are collisions and crashes. Collisions occur because an initial act by one of the parties triggered a series of events that led to the vehicle being struck or striking another object. I'm a retired LEO and never called a crash other than what it is. Someone or thing led to the crash, not just serendipity. Always wear your seatbelts because a head through a windshield makes a real mess!

I contend that accidents only happen when you don't expect them. In fact, that's pretty much the definition of an accident.
As I said to Daniel, incorrect. As an example, if you're in the second position in the left turn lane waiting for the signal that's a ripe location for seeing an accident happening -- potentially with you as one of the victims.

Accidents (indicating a mystical power involved) generally never exist, unless you are struck by a meteor. They are collisions and crashes. Collisions occur because an initial act by one of the parties triggered a series of events that led to the vehicle being struck or striking another object. I'm a retired LEO and never called a crash other than what it is. Someone or thing led to the crash, not just serendipity. Always wear your seatbelts because a head through a windshield makes a real mess!

As a LEO, your reports need to be precise. But in informal conversation, a car crash is called an accident. I have been in only a very few in my decades of driving, but none of them was intentional. They were due to mistakes by either me or the other driver. (Usually the other driver.) The exception was a very low-speed (about 2 mph) bump on black ice. There is no way either of us could have stopped. The accident was ruled the other driver's fault because she had a stop sign. But on that black ice neither of us could have stopped. There was no mystical power involved. Just a road condition common in North Dakota, which was why both of us were going so slowly. A (legally) parked car prevented us from seeing each other sooner. "Collision" would have been a more precise word, but pretty much everybody (if speaking English) would have called it an accident because neither of us intended it.

• Informative
That 10-25, 40-70 sign is hurting my brain?
Is it "either go fast or very slow"?

yeah that's why americans cant be trusted with responsible driving habits i.e. fog lights, variable speed limits, OOTR, winter/summer tires, annual inspections etc.

In summer when there is no snow you can go 40-70kmh depending on the road conditions. i.e. If its wet more towards the 40. If it's winter and it is snowing then it is 10-25kmh, i.e. if you have a 4x4 with 4 wheel drive you can go 25 otherwise you go more towards the 10kmh.

yeah that's why americans cant be trusted with responsible driving habits i.e. fog lights, variable speed limits, OOTR, winter/summer tires, annual inspections etc.

Yep, I've been driving in Europe for about 10 years and this is very true. I could add a lot more to the list. I'll just give you one, my pet peeve since coming to america... the terrible terrible lane discipline on highways. It's like everyone owns the freeways and can drive they way they please with zero regard to others...

• Love
Reactions: arnis

In summer when there is no snow you can go 40-70kmh depending on the road conditions. i.e. If its wet more towards the 40. If it's winter and it is snowing then it is 10-25kmh, i.e. if you have a 4x4 with 4 wheel drive you can go 25 otherwise you go more towards the 10kmh.
That sign is not showing summer vs winter speed limits. That's an ice road in Estonia. The road doesn't exist in the summer.

Reactions: arnis
Blue sign - recommended driving speed (actual maximum not set, therefore default 90km/h)
Red sign - minimum following distance 250m (800feet)
Red cross - no stopping no parking allowed
White brick - Do not enter (left road)
White square arrow - one way street
White round arrow - drive to that side.

So if vehicle in front of you stops for no apparent reason you are not allowed to get near it nor pass it (following distance requirement) - two vehicles side-by-side - double the weight for ice sheet. Go back, go around or call rescue or go by foot ask what happened.

And yea, definitely no seat belt. Seat belts are for significant collisions and sometimes... they are not possible. Including ice road and well, private driveway for example.

• Informative