Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does this mean, that rolls-royse, bentlys, mercedes are no more legal in america? hahaha

Probably not as the currently proposed laws seem to only be targeting pure EVs and it doesn't take sound levels into account. If the law wasn't anti-EV it would affect a lot of luxury (ICE) car makers as well. Of course, the law would only apply to new vehicles made after it is passed (MY~2013 or later) so all vehicles made before the law was passed would remain legal without the noise generator.

That title makes it seem like they're thumbing their nose at the stupid rule and fighting back (which I could stand behind). In reality, they're just not doing it YET and actually support it:

"We are participating to support the legislation and we plan to introduce alert noises prior to any laws taking effect, but we won't include any in our first generation," said Sherif Marakby, Ford's Director of Electrification and Sustainable Mobility Programs, in an interview with AutoTrader.com.

What it ought to say is " Everyone in congress who enacted this noise gereration is an idiot" !

Maybe the response should be to turn up the volume so loud that everybody complains to have it turned off!! I say blast them until they say uncle!!

Last edited:
What it ought to say is " Everyone in congress who enacted this noise gereration is an idiot" !

Maybe the response should be to turn up the volume so loud that everybody complains to have it turned off!! I say blast them until they say uncle!!

Hopefully when this stupid law is repealed -- as it will be eventually -- Tesla will offer us all software patches to turn the "stupid Congressman noise" off.

Passenger cars, vans and buses would have to reduce noise by 2 decibels two years after publication of the agreed text of the legislation, and the same reduction three years after that. For trucks, a reduction of 1 decibel in the first stage and 2 decibels in the second would be mandated.

EU authorities say the measures would cut road noise by 25%, an action “essential to (improving) the health and quality of life of Europe's citizens.

EU is proposing a limit of 70 decibels for passenger cars in the first step and 68 in the second. ACEA favors a reduction to 72 decibels in the first step and 70 in the second.

it could be 2015 before the measures begin to take effect and 2017 or even later before they are fully implemented.

I wonder how many electric vehicles will drive by 2015, and what effect this will have on perceived sound-levels.

What should the % of electric vehicles be to start noticing it on the ambient sound?

Sound at low speed

I am a reservation holder and heared there are countries in Europe that will make a law to oblige EV's to produce a sound when driving at low speed. This would be for safety reasons since people don't hear the car when crossing a street or walking at parking etc.

Any thoughts ?

"Engine" Sounds

Since electric cars are virtually soundless, some makers are adding noise to warn of the cars presence. Can Tesla one up this idea by adding an app to simulate the sound of say a Maserati or Shelby Mustang or choose your favorite among a few? You could turn this on or off as needed. Should be fun seeing your neighbors expression at a stop light.

Since electric cars are virtually soundless, some makers are adding noise to warn of the cars presence. Can Tesla one up this idea by adding an app to simulate the sound of say a Maserati or Shelby Mustang or choose your favorite among a few? You could turn this on or off as needed. Should be fun seeing your neighbors expression at a stop light.

If Tesla had included a noise-maker, one of my first tasks was going to be to find a way to remove or customize (i.e. add a blank wav or something) it. If future models have it, I'd love to have an app where you can add your own sounds or pull from a repo