Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
agreed - but they're thinking of for the blind.

I do like how quiet it is though.

Yes, I see that argument (pardon the pun )

However, anyone who is that blind is typically not going to be out crossing roads without assistance OR if they are - they wont be running in to the road and be easily avoided. Of course, the proponents of sound need to feel vindicated when they run someone over while texting and driving. "He should have heard me coming, cuz I didn't see him"

Why add to the noise pollution? As EVs become a larger and larger percentage of all vehicular traffic, one of the benefits you'd hope to realize is a reduction in the cacophony of city life.

I'm in favor of putting the responsibility on both pedestrian and driver: the pedestrian by looking out for his or her personal safety and the driver by looking out for pedestrians. If there were a driver-actuated beeper that's quieter than the existing horn, that'd take care of it, in my opinion. Then, as the driver of a 2-1/2 ton automobile, it's my choice whether to just avoid the pedestrian or announce my presence to them in a non-threatening way. That way there's no added noise pollution except as needed.

Is Model S "Too Quiet"?

[Mods: I wasn't sure where to post this, but thought I'd start here where some current owners would see it]

I'm wondering if any current owners (or owners of other EVs) have had any negative experiences as a result of how quiet Model S is when under way. Last summer, I was driving my company's Volt through a restaurant parking lot when a small child ran out from my right in an area that I didn't have good visibility to. My wife hollered out and I was able to stop in time. Now, kids run around like that a lot, but I am convinced that part of the issue was that the little girl didn't hear me coming. There has been talk of mandating "noisemakers" for EVs for exactly this reason. Just wondering if current EV drivers have any observations, tips or techniques for this issue.

My wife and I have been driving EVs for years, and before that hybrids that were often silent in parking lots.

We have noticed people stepping in front of the EVs & hybrids in parking lots (never anywhere else). But then, we noticed that back when we had gas cars too; some people just don't pay attention. I can't say there is a noticeable difference in frequency. You just gotta be careful in parking lots; the sound of a luxury ICE at low speed is often masked by nearby traffic anyway. If somebody is walking and not looking at me, I turn up the radio.

A bigger issue has been driving through a parking lot in a Roadster, and having SUVs back out towards me. That didn't use to happen as much when I drove a bigger car. Same with changing in to my lane when I'm next to them. Neither of these has been an issue with the Model S, or with our RAV4-EV before that.

The idea of adding noise to EVs may be well intentioned but stupid.

Short of those who are blind and out walking through streets, the concept is nonsense.

The cats hear you, the birds hear you, they see you....if they run in front of you, well not so good. But birds fly into my glass building dozens of times a year, I clipped a cat on a loud motorcycle at 5mph, I've taken out several birds in my diesel truck. Funny, though, I've never seen or hit a blind person.

Last edited:
The idea of adding noise to EVs may be well intentioned but stupid.

Short of those who are blind and out walking through streets, the concept is nonsense.

The cats hear you, the birds hear you, they see you....if they run in front of you, well not so good. But birds fly into my glass building dozens of times a year, I clipped a cat on a loud motorcycle at 5mph, I've taken out several birds in my diesel truck. Funny, though, I've never seen or hit a blind person.

Had a Sand Hill Crane smash into the window recently. Good bit of damage and was sorry for the bird. I wonder if sound, wind resistance/updraft help them avoid more frequently though... Might be interesting to hear if others have this issue, more so than in an ICE vehicle.

I've had a few people in parking lots just walk right out in front of me, so I have "trained" myself to pay extra attention and to anticipate this happening. This is one concern I had last year when I started a thread about needing at "pedestrian-type horn", one not as loud or startling as the primary horn, but a less harsh warning signal that I am right here. Most commenters loved the idea, but that was as far as it went.

I have not had anybody walk out in front of me in 2 1/2 years of pure electric driving and a few years of hybrid driving.
I have had people walk out in front of other cars I have owned.
It happens very rarely, and I suspect if people aren't using their eyes, they certainly aren't using their ears (except for the blind of course).

Last summer, I was driving my company's Volt through a restaurant parking lot when a small child ran out from my right in an area that I didn't have good visibility to. My wife hollered out and I was able to stop in time. Now, kids run around like that a lot, but I am convinced that part of the issue was that the little girl didn't hear me coming. There has been talk of mandating "noisemakers" for EVs for exactly this reason. Just wondering if current EV drivers have any observations, tips or techniques for this issue.

Excited and oblivious children are pretty much the norm I'm afraid - it's why they get hit by cars much too often. I really doubt the sound of the car had much to do with it. When I young, one of the kids on the street got hit by a car right in front of our house. The car was making plenty of noise. The kid was just oblivious and ran out from behind a parked car.

As for animals... tell me this Corvette was being too quiet...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one concern I had last year when I started a thread about needing at "pedestrian-type horn", one not as loud or startling as the primary horn, but a less harsh warning signal that I am right here. Most commenters loved the idea, but that was as far as it went.

The Volt has that. You push the end of the turn signal stalk and it makes the horn kind of chirp or "vibrate" to alert pedestrians. Problem is that it's an "on demand" noisemaker than may be too late if someone steps off a curb if they don't hear you coming. Tire noise will deal with traveling along the roadway - I'm thinking more of parking lots and perhaps slower neighborhood streets.

- - - Updated - - -

Multiple threads have covered this.

Auto minimum sound level was started in 2010 and more recently Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds? - Page 21

There has already been a bill passed to require noises so all the stupid people will continue to multiply.

Sorry... didn't find that one. Perhaps this thread should be merged...