Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had it happen to me in ICE cars. And bicyclists take out pedestrians regularly in San Francisco. Children run out in front of cars and whatever all the time - they're children. They don't look, they're simply focused on whatever they're chasing (a ball that rolled into the street, etc). They're a lot like dogs in that respect - one track minds. Parents have to keep a hold of them until they're old enough to have the self-control to LOOK both ways before entering a street. And I say this as the Father of a 2-year-old that it's hard work but it's your job as a parent.

That child that ran out in front of you in the Volt would have done it even if you were in a '69 Camaro w/ straight pipes.

A lot of times pedestrians focused on loading their trunks don't notice me in the parking lot as I patiently wait for them before I pass.

I'm carrying around a little bicycle bell. If I want to gently make my presence known, I roll down the window and give it a jingle.

Much more polite than the horn.

There has been talk of mandating "noisemakers" for EVs for exactly this reason. Just wondering if current EV drivers have any observations, tips or techniques for this issue.

Problem is you are playing your radio too quietly. Turn up your music and drive with the windows down.

- - - Updated - - -

I have noticed that cats and birds don't move.

Especially cats..

I have the same problem with dogs.

... Children run out in front of cars and whatever all the time - they're children. They don't look, they're simply focused on whatever they're chasing (a ball that rolled into the street, etc).....

I actually had that happen on a residential street during driver's education. i'd swear it was staged if I didn't already know there was no budget for such things. (and that a child might be killed with a lesser new-driver)

there is no such thing as too quiet

it is your job to check for cars, noise doesnt have any effect

I'm with you right up to "noise doesn't have any effect." I believe that needs to be clarified.

All vehicles make their own level of sound. Trains make a certain characteristic sound, as do motorcycles, mopeds, ICE cars, and bicycles. When you approach a train track, you have a duty to "stop, look and listen" before you proceed. You listen for a train of course. If you get hit by a camouflaged bicycle, I don't see how that would be your fault. However, if you approach a street, you have the duty to "stop, look, and listen" as well. Here you would listen for the vehicles one would likely expect: ICE cars, motorcycles, bicycles, scooters for the mobility disabled, other pedestrians etc... BEV's also make a sound albeit much quieter than ICE car or motorcycle, but comparable to bicycle. Sound has an effect, but the pedestrian has a duty to listen for that sound... It does not satisfy their duty to say I only listened for ICE cars and motorcycles... no more than it would if they said they only listened for trains, didn't hear any, then proceeded and was hit by an ICE car.

I'm carrying around a little bicycle bell. If I want to gently make my presence known, I roll down the window and give it a jingle.
Thank you for causing me to spit my coffee all over my keyboard as I envisioned you sitting in a huge car ringing a tiny bell to get someone to move out of your way. I can imagine their look when they expect to see a bicyclist and instead see you in a Model S. Sort of the opposite of when I would commute on my motorcycle. I put 2 130dB horns on my bike. Whenever I'd hit them drivers would start frantically looking for the semi truck. Worked though.

I have had to roll down my window and ask people to move from behind the Model S when I wanted to back out of a parking spot.
They were standing behind the car and didnt notice the reverse lights. If my car was belching pollution at them they would surely have moved.
I would like an externally audible back up sound that I could turn on to make these people move, something a little less jarring than honking the horn at them.
Since I don't have that, I will have to roll down my window to yell at them.

The main problem is that people don't take so much attention on others.
It's not because EVs are to quite the people that do not want to take attention don't defer between ICE or EVs they will walk all the time.

A solution can be, sensitization on both sides. The EVs drivers should be aware in parking lots that nobody can here you and pedestrian should be aware of more watching out of cars that passing.

I don't like the idea of sound generators, thats silly. On the one side we working for quiter cars and roads and on the other side we want to make noise, to be not too quite ?

In one situation I expected the problem of not watching out. We I ride my bicycle and want do turn left, I catch myself by only hearing if a car is behind me.
Imagine in the moment where I would turn left an EV would start to overtake me ? There would be a crash. Nowadays I always look back before turning left with my bicyle.

Last edited:
While we're at it... How about mandated sonar sensors in cell phones to alert people when they are approaching changes in the gradient (curbs, stairs, water fountains, walls, other people) so they quit running into others, stepping into the street, falling down stairs and into fountains, etc. while they have their heads buried in their cell phones while walking?

The answer isn't making EV's make noise... it's getting people to quit being dumba$$'s. But, that'll never happen, so I guess it's noisy EV's for us!

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...s-Quiet-cars-rule-too-loud-requires-more-time

Apparently the current rules require a sound level so loud that it's louder than some high performance sports cars! That doesn't make any sense. If the issue is only EVs and hybrids, then the sound level required should be that of the quietest ICE. If the sound level is already much higher than the quietest ICE then ALL cars should be required to be at the sound level!