Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2012 Volt that has the dual horn feature. The turn signal stalk can be pushed inward to trigger the lower db horn, warning pedestrians without scaring them off their feet lol...interestingly, GM discontinued that feature on the Volt remodel in 2015. I found it useful when I remembered I had it, but honestly rarely used it. If it would become a standard feature, I'm sure it would be used more as it sinks into the driver's mindset over time. Seems like a simple software fix for horn voltage level control....
For the record, this system began in the 1996 EV1. Pulling the left stalk would warble the horn in a "happy" way, and flash the high beams. Yes, the driver should have control over when the car makes noise. If instead the driver is dead-set on running down a pedestrian, there is no chance that a cute little sound is going to assist the pedestrian. In the end, it is the responsibility of the driver not to hit things in his or her path.

I would LOVE to have a friendly warble tone at my disposal.

In the meantime, CA has made the upper limit of sound coming from vehicle a bigger deal (larger, immediate fine, no "fix-it" ticket). Sound limit remains the same, and quite high (95 db). And the number of people fighting against it is enormous... mostly claiming that there's no reason to drive a car that doesn't "sound good." Which, of course, also means loud.

As of Jan 1,2019: AB 1824 enables law enforcement to issue immediate fines for violating exhaust levels. Prior to 2019 police officers issued so-called “fix it” tickets, enabling you to fix your vehicle’s exhaust system within 30 days, provide proof, and avoid paying paying fines. As of 2019 fines are mandatory, and can range upwards of $1,000.

So we have EV drivers mostly timidly saying, "gosh, we don't want to add to the noise pollution." And we have the performance ICE crowd *screaming* "don't suppress my right to express myself with loud noises!"

No.
This is mostly status quo-ism - let's keep things the same because it might be worse if we change. One of the awful things I experience when cycling to work and back is the rumble of endless diesel engines from stationary vehicles. If they were all electric it'd quieten our cities wonderfully.

Given the limited experience, I'm unsure whether there is any evidence of higher road traffic incidents with *only* the tyre noise from electric vehicles Vs the tyre noise, and comparably low engine noise of ICEs.
I'm sure others have made the point that many pedestrians are often looking at screens and headphoned-up when approaching and crossing roads: folks may not look or listen or see or hear vehicles. It's incumbent on drivers and cars to keep people safe through vigilance, defensive driving, and modern safety features. While zipping along making a noise like the Jetson's flying car might be cool, it's not necessary and it will just make our streets as noisy or noisier than today's ICE-dominated roads.

I wonder if this might be part of the 'ICE-conspiracy' - perhaps quietly lobbied for by 'dirty diesel'?. Imagine if EVs did make a noise. It's another means by which to criticise and marginalise them: 'those EVs make such unpleasant sounds. I mean, that bub-bub-bub noise is so distracting compared to the gentle hum of a good V8'. Damned if EVs make noise, damned if they don't?

Reactions: EVnut
No.
This is mostly status quo-ism - let's keep things the same because it might be worse if we change. One of the awful things I experience when cycling to work and back is the rumble of endless diesel engines from stationary vehicles. If they were all electric it'd quieten our cities wonderfully.

Given the limited experience, I'm unsure whether there is any evidence of higher road traffic incidents with *only* the tyre noise from electric vehicles Vs the tyre noise, and comparably low engine noise of ICEs.
I'm sure others have made the point that many pedestrians are often looking at screens and headphoned-up when approaching and crossing roads: folks may not look or listen or see or hear vehicles. It's incumbent on drivers and cars to keep people safe through vigilance, defensive driving, and modern safety features. While zipping along making a noise like the Jetson's flying car might be cool, it's not necessary and it will just make our streets as noisy or noisier than today's ICE-dominated roads.

I wonder if this might be part of the 'ICE-conspiracy' - perhaps quietly lobbied for by 'dirty diesel'?. Imagine if EVs did make a noise. It's another means by which to criticise and marginalise them: 'those EVs make such unpleasant sounds. I mean, that bub-bub-bub noise is so distracting compared to the gentle hum of a good V8'. Damned if EVs make noise, damned if they don't?

I strongly doubt it's the diesel lobby in the US. Diesel cars are very rare here, they never really caught on. Diesel is used in locomotives, large trucks and some pickups, and that's about it. There were apparently enough VW diesels sold in the US that VW parked them on the site of an abandoned stadium in the Midwest, but the only VWs I saw around here were gasoline powered. Maybe one or two diesels over the years.

I wouldn't put it past the oil industry and mainstream car makers to lobby for it though. The oil lobby is very strong.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I find the Kona EV's sound useful to announce my presence but I'm very glad I can turn it off when I want to be stealthy, or turn it off suddenly just to make pedestrians wonder where the spaceship has landed. Mine is constant with speed but tapers off in volume, and seems higher pitched than the Jag's. On the US versions where it's not switchable it doesn't look like a difficult mod to add a switch.

Here's the spectrum in Audacity from a sample captured by my phone.
vess2.png

Reactions: Ulmo and arnis
Same here. Luckily I coded my Leaf to be noiseless in forward motion and still reverse-beep. That reversing sound (which I can switch off with the button) actually helps. People do understand that something is happening and maybe not just stand behind me with a phone or smth.
Forward noise is absolutely useless. If AC is on (or heat pump) there is some fan noise. Much louder than quiet noisemaker. And if it is not on and weather is perfect, my windows are open and music is blasting anyway (at low speed);)

Somewhere I saw it proven that people cannot triangulate on the classic "backup beeper" sound source nearly as well as some kind of white noise (grey noise, some kind of hiss noise) bursts at the same sound pressure.. Blindfolded people had little trouble pointing directly at the source. ... and the beauty of it was this noise does not carry as annoyingly far as backup beeper sounds do, but are effective within the "you're about to be hit range".. The overall noise din of the city would be less if all heavy equipment and trucks moved to this new noise.

I'd be OK if my quiet car made these sounds at low speeds.

Correct. For excellent triangulation much lower frequency must be used (below 1000Hz). Also possible to have multiple frequencies and especially useful is pink noise.
I've heard some construction sites require better reversing warning sound than beep.

I don't mind the sound in principal, but it should be something good. No fake ICE sounds, nothing that can be heard from inside the cabin or even very much with the window open. Project it forwards.

I don't mind the sound in principal, but it should be something good. No fake ICE sounds, nothing that can be heard from inside the cabin or even very much with the window open. Project it forwards.

I'm still lobbying for targeted Jaws music. AP2+ cars know when there are pedestrians around, and how close.

So only make noise when it sees them, and let the beat timing show how close to being eaten they are.

Though to be honest I really liked the Volt horn burble when I had it. I don't think I ever used it on pedestrians, but it was really useful for getting inattentive folks moving without sounding like I was road raging at them.

I think we should have the option to have a noise simulator on the tesla models. I have a model s p100d, and it has been the best car i've owned so far. It is always a blast to get in the car and drive, but I do miss the sound of a powerful motor and the exhaust crackle.

• Funny
Reactions: RAW84
I think we should have the option to have a noise simulator on the tesla models. I have a model s p100d, and it has been the best car i've owned so far. It is always a blast to get in the car and drive, but I do miss the sound of a powerful motor and the exhaust crackle.
I think a voice (by Elon speaking) with the words "Car coming! Car coming! Car coming! Car coming!" until it comes to a stop would be perfect. The "Car coming!" sentence would be used in a forward facing speaker only when going forward, and the "Car backing up!" would be used in a rear facing speaker as soon as the car is put in reverse and only when in reverse gear. No foreign languages would be used. Since the forward speaker would only speak when the car is moving, when the car starts up from a stop, the speaker should shout "Car started coming!" just once a little louder than the rest of the sentences. If the driver launched instead of started driving, then it should shout "Watch out!!!" It should all be recordings of Elon that he made especially for this function.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: PrGrPa and Dr. J