Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pointing out the similarity to Red Flag laws, the complete hysteria involved, the fact that noise pollution is being mandated, the complete nonfunctionality of the noisemakers for their supposed purpose,

...and the presence of a horn, automatic sensors to detect pedestrians with *automatic braking*, and other genuinely useful safety features...

...might possibly have an effect.

Many people are suggesting disabling any speaker. I had originally considered doing that on mine. What changed my mind was the hypothetical scenario under which my vehicle does strike a pedestrian (driven by myself or anyone else, even a future owner) and it is discovered that a pedestrian warning device had been installed by the manufacture but that I had intentionally disabled it. Even if that had nothing to do with the event, the legal liabilities were not something I wanted to risk.

If only we could invent some kind of on-demand noise maker. It would be quiet when not needed, and when we need to alert a pedestrian we could turn it on just long enough to alert them, and then it would be quiet again.

We could call it a "horn".

ROFL!

- - - Updated - - -

How certain are we that this is going to take effect for all Teslas after September 1, 2015?

The wife will let me order mine early to avoid the government's control of our $100k car! I'm beaming! :)

But, if it isn't going to take effect until next year . . . I'll have to wait another 4 months or so . . . :(

I like that my 2011 LEAF, unlike newer LEAFs, has an on/off switch for its noisemaker. I find it helpful to make a little noise when navigating parking lots and other areas with pedestrians. But there are plenty of times, such as backing out of the driveway early in the morning, when silence is best. Another reason to keep older EVs on the road - having the ability to legally operate in silence.

So the sound made by the rolling tires does not qualify?

Not until the vehicle is going about 18 mph (30 km/hr) - according to the report that is the "crossover speed"; I.E. the speed at which an EV behaves like an ICE and the tires and wind noise produce the same sound.

- - - Updated - - -

The best solution to this alleged "problem" that I have seen (heard) is on the Chevy Volt. There is a function on the steering column (maybe part of the wiper stalk) that allows the driver to make a brief "chirp" outside the car. It's much less obtrusive than using the horn, but it gets the point across to unaware pedestrians. I've scared the crap out of a few people in parking garages that don't hear me behind them (never mind they've decided to walk down the middle of the lane), and a manually activated chirp would've been a nice alternative. I would imagine Tesla could build this in as an automatic function as well when the car detects someone nearby or in front of the car.

This feature on the Volt is actually very nice.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't like the legislation, and I'm certainly glad I got my car before it was enacted, but y'all in here acting like someone killed your cat.

I hate cats.

Many people are suggesting disabling any speaker. I had originally considered doing that on mine. What changed my mind was the hypothetical scenario under which my vehicle does strike a pedestrian (driven by myself or anyone else, even a future owner) and it is discovered that a pedestrian warning device had been installed by the manufacture but that I had intentionally disabled it. Even if that had nothing to do with the event, the legal liabilities were not something I wanted to risk.
I see the same issue too. While there is no practical way for the federal government to stop everyone from disabling the speaker, if any accident happens it opens a whole other can of worms in terms of liability.

- - - Updated - - -

The best option would be to ask for an amendment that requires all vehicles to emit a minimum sound level. Then it might collapse under its own scope.
I agree this is a good idea. At least it would force luxury automakers to push back.

I am hoping that all EV makers everywhere, if/when forced to comply with this, will simply add an additional -- and separate -- fused circuit to take care of this regulation.
And if that fuse should blow, it would only affect *that* device.

It would be a shame if that fuse blew about 30 seconds after I take ownership of the vehicle, and I didn't find out about it until ... never.

Ardie

I am hoping that all EV makers everywhere, if/when forced to comply with this, will simply add an additional -- and separate -- fused circuit to take care of this regulation.
And if that fuse should blow, it would only affect *that* device.

It would be a shame if that fuse blew about 30 seconds after I take ownership of the vehicle, and I didn't find out about it until ... never.

Ardie

I like the fuse idea. Those darn fuses could blow at any time...

Number of people injured by slow moving EVs? Still zero, to my knowledge.

This is a case where the judicial branch needs to overturn the idiotic actions of the legislative branch.

Tesla, or perhaps an EV organization with legal connections, should take this to court. The argument should be:

1. If any car not under the jurisdiction of this law (luxury ICEs, for example) emits equal or less sound at 18mph and below--which is easily proven--then this law is discriminatory under its intended purpose (to notify pedestrians of the presence of the vehicle). Under that basis, either:
a) Every vehicle manufacturer must implement this stupid noisemaker when their vehicle's noise levels are below the threshold (in which the law likely collapses due to strong pushback/lobbying from established automakers), or
b) The law must be repealed (and we're back to happiness).

2. If ALL other cars emit more noise at 18mph or less, then the requirement should be to emit only as much as the quietest ICE (or else (1) above takes over). If so, the sound should be essentially inaudible, and therefore has no point.

Of course, evidence should be presented that there have been no serious injuries (perhaps no significant injuries at all) in which pedestrians have been hit by EVs at low speeds--to further demonstrate the uselessness of this law.

And I completely agree with brianman--the sound should literally be an advertisement for the stupidity of the law itself.

Also: I expect this will piss off Musk, and we will see quite a show from Tesla on this one :). He, more than anyone, doesn't want to see EVs make stupid noises as they travel down the street.

This system is on the smart ED, though fortunately it's pretty easy to disable as there's a little wire attached to a tiny speaker in one of the wheel wells.

I actually do like how smart implements it, if it is (stupidly) forced onto EVs. It's not a constant sound, and it changes based on what you're actually doing in the car itself. For those who are curious or haven't heard a car with the feature on it, the following has a few examples of what it sounds like from a pedestrian standpoint. The ED3 and Me - Sound box - smart USA insider

It does create the very silly and odd effect that the car is quieter at high speeds versus low speeds, outside of tire noise. I, too, think cities would be amazing if there were no car engine noises at all.