Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should have purchased a CCS adaptor before the road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I understand, as stated in the Model Y Owner's manual, the Navigation System partially bases the estimated consumption on the vehicle's driving history. I.e. if you consistently drive 70 MPH but then change your driving style and drive 80 MPH the system does not recalculate consumption based on the new higher driving speed. In this use case A Better Route Planner would enable you to enter your average and maximum driving speed for a planned trip. ABRP might determine that one or more additional charging stops will be required.

Another strategy is to add 10% to 15% additional battery charge before starting a trip leg to bump up whatever arrival state of charge the Tesla Navigation system estimates while knowing that due to faster driving speed the actual arrival state of charge will be lower, close to the original arrival state of charge estimated. I encountered this recently while using a Supercharger on a trip. The Tesla charging system displayed a message that my Model Y had enough charge to reach my destination (but with only ~10% arrival state of charge). I was not comfortable with this arrival state of charge. I ignored this message and continued to charge and add an additional 10% while Supercharging.

Yep, I've been doing that. It would say the car is good to go with 20% SOC at next stop. I let it to another 10%. But then I would arrive with 20% SOC instead of 30%. Too bad Tesla does not allow us to adjust the projected speed like in ABRP.

Trust the trip planner. It will be extremely accurate. If you won't make it the car will tell you what to do, honestly better than you could.

CCS network is awful, avoid at all costs.
My problem is that the trip planner won't work for me - my MY has a range of 220 miles, as sold. It was only available for about 20 minutes in 2021, and I stupidly bought it, thinking that would be plenty of range. The trip planner does not recognize my range, so I could be in trouble on a road trip, especially if I don't use the CCS network. I've also just moved to a condo where I can't charge, and the closest Tesla Supercharger is 17 miles from me. I'm going to have to depend on CCS chargers. What is the best CCS adapter - Tesla's or another manufacturer?

What is the best CCS adapter - Tesla's or another manufacturer?
I think Tesla is the only one offering it for sale now, and it's reasonably priced. I would get the Tesla one just in case there was an issue with it. Tesla should stand behind it, warranty wise.
Note that your car has to be enabled in order to use it. I don't remember exactly where that is in the menu, but you can search for it.

Reactions: Rocky_H and cwerdna
The inconvenience and financial penalties are so high for running out of fuel, it is certainly to be avoided. Back in the early ICE days, running out of fuel meant walking to the nearest station, renting a gas can, (if they have one to rent), walking, carrying it, back to the car. UGH. Lots of folks kept a gallon or two of gas {ewueee} in the trunk for emergency, . But as there were more and more service stations and you didn't have to walk so far, most people gave up the dangerous spare gas can.

In these early days of BEVs, there is pretty much the same problem. So yeah, those of us who are cautious and plan ahead, get a mobile connector, CCS adapter, and a few electrical adapters, e.g., 240v 50 amp => 250v 30 amp, 250v 30 amp => 120v 20 amp => 120v 20 amp => 120v 15 amp, and string together as many as you need. Not very expensive, quite safe and completely covers being able to charge from nearly any electrical source. Maybe not fast, but can relax in the shade while it's charging and at least not walking or having to call a tow truck.

Again, most people choose to operate between 20% and 80% because 20% will get me to the next fuel source and 80% is plenty without running over, making a mess or, for a BEV, undue stress on the battery.
Adapters.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JonB65
My problem is that the trip planner won't work for me - my MY has a range of 220 miles, as sold. It was only available for about 20 minutes in 2021, and I stupidly bought it, thinking that would be plenty of range. The trip planner does not recognize my range, so I could be in trouble on a road trip, especially if I don't use the CCS network. I've also just moved to a condo where I can't charge, and the closest Tesla Supercharger is 17 miles from me. I'm going to have to depend on CCS chargers. What is the best CCS adapter - Tesla's or another manufacturer?
So it thinks you can charge to a higher range than your car actually can? That really sucks. I have to wonder if a knowledgable tech could configure the car correctly.

If I had that problem, I'd pony up for the premium subscription for A Better Route Planner and use it's ability to get live info from the car and do the same sort of routing that the Tesla nav does. It also can be configured to use other kinds of charging locations in it's planning, so you could set it up to include CCS as well as Supercharger locations.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
The mileage display at the top should not be used for anything because it represents EPA rated range and is not achievable in real world usage. That’s why it’s recommended to keep it on % to avoid situations like “oh it says I have 120 miles of range left and the next city/supercharger is 100 miles away so that’s more than fine”. Do not do that. The % readout is accurate but the miles is not.

Also on long trips where you will need to fast charge, always use the navigation and follow what it says. Even if you know where you’re going. Don’t skip a supercharger if it tells you to stop at one.
New Tesla Model Y owner here. Good tip to know. I keep it at percentage anyway. I think when we can get 500 miles at 80% SOC and charging takes about 5 - 10 mintues with super charger at every corners. We'll be laughing at reading our old posts here.

Reactions: rwjr44
So it thinks you can charge to a higher range than your car actually can? That really sucks. I have to wonder if a knowledgable tech could configure the car correctly.

If I had that problem, I'd pony up for the premium subscription for A Better Route Planner and use it's ability to get live info from the car and do the same sort of routing that the Tesla nav does. It also can be configured to use other kinds of charging locations in it's planning, so you could set it up to include CCS as well as Supercharger locations.
The Tesla GoAnywhere app doesn't show my car's range. In the car might be a different story, but I want to sit at my laptop and plan my trip. I've emailed Tesla about the issue, but no response other than 'thanks for letting us know'.

I don't do many road trips, but make look at the app you've mentioned. Thanks.

I think Tesla is the only one offering it for sale now, and it's reasonably priced. I would get the Tesla one just in case there was an issue with it. Tesla should stand behind it, warranty wise.
Note that your car has to be enabled in order to use it. I don't remember exactly where that is in the menu, but you can search for it.
Nope, there are at least half a dozen mfgs making a CCS adapter. I checked before I started investigating adapters, and my car is CCS enabled.

The Tesla GoAnywhere app doesn't show my car's range. In the car might be a different story, but I want to sit at my laptop and plan my trip. I've emailed Tesla about the issue, but no response other than 'thanks for letting us know'.

I don't do many road trips, but make look at the app you've mentioned. Thanks.
OK, that's a much easier thing. You can use the free version of ABRP to do that kind of offline planning, and I think you'll like it a lot better.

Note: I just looked at the Go Anywhere app for the first time, and it's pretty poorly done. As far as I can tell, it only has the current lineup of cars and their rated ranges. If you have any older car that has a different range or your range has degraded, the tool will not work for you. I'd just forget it altogether.

P.S. Trying it further, it becomes obvious that it's not so much a tool for owners, but more for prospective buyers to see how trips can work. The route screen has a big "Buy Model 3" button at the bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShadyKay
I might target 40% at my destination if I'm uncertain about charging, but between superchargers I typically run between 5% and 60% state of charge.

I'm beyond the "it's an adventure" stage and now don't like waiting for the car to charge, particularly when charge rate falls below 100kw. things are so different than 2018 and earlier, Superchargers are so frequent and range is so long legged now you rarely need more than 60%

OK, that's a much easier thing. You can use the free version of ABRP to do that kind of offline planning, and I think you'll like it a lot better.

Note: I just looked at the Go Anywhere app for the first time, and it's pretty poorly done. As far as I can tell, it only has the current lineup of cars and their rated ranges. If you have any older car that has a different range or your range has degraded, the tool will not work for you. I'd just forget it altogether.

P.S. Trying it further, it becomes obvious that it's not so much a tool for owners, but more for prospective buyers to see how trips can work. The route screen has a big "Buy Model 3" button at the bottom.
Thanks for the tip about ABRP. I like it.

I carry with me….
  • A J1772 Adapter (don’t we all)
  • A CCS Adapter
  • Mobile Connector
  • Full set of Nema Plugs
  • An additional TT-30 Plug
Why? Because I want to be able to charge anywhere and in any situation.i never want to be stuck. Maybe it’s overkill but better safe than sorry.
On top of that, when on road trips, I carry with me 50ft+25ft 110/12A extension cords and 50ft 220/30A extension cord 🙃

It appears to also does not take into account the speed limit. I was driving on the Oklahoma Toll Roads with 80 mph speed limit, watched my arrival SOC drop like a rock, had to slow to 65 mph.
The navigation system uses your recent driving history, including speed when initially estimating trip consumption. Tesla advises you to reset the Tesla vehicle if purchased used as it will take several weeks for the Tesla Navigation system to collect data on your driving style. (You wouldn't want to plan a road trip with the Navigation system making energy consumption assumptions based on the driving habits of the previous owner.)

If you typically drive 65 and start a trip at this speed but then enter a toll road with an 80 MPH speed limit the navigation system will need some time to update the estimated arrival SOC. The Navigation system will provide notification in plenty of time should you need to slow down and/or add a charging stop to reach your destination. You could encounter bad weather, traffic or a detour while on a trip that could require an additional charging stop. This would only be a problem if you were traveling where there were only a few places to stop and quickly charge.

Reactions: kpanda17