Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I abandon my Model S? New Battery Pack is needed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I would take wk057 offer at this point, but honestly you should've done the research about owning tesla out of warranty. There have been plenty horror stories on tesla out of warranty cost. With your $40000ish you put in the car already, I would've gone with the id4 1st edition last year. Out the door price would've been around $38K after the $7500 tax credit for brand new EV with full warranty and much more range than the model s 60. And arguably a more comfortable better car than the model s 60. It is actually a surprisingly good car for the money. And you would've gotten free unlimited charging for 3 years at electrify America stations. But yes hindsight and all EVs now are expensive so that might not be an option anymore. But it doesn't hurt to ask and shop around for the id4 or other EVs.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD
Personally I would take wk057 offer at this point, but honestly you should've done the research about owning tesla out of warranty. There have been plenty horror stories on tesla out of warranty cost. With your $40000ish you put in the car already, I would've gone with the id4 1st edition last year. Out the door price would've been around $38K after the $7500 tax credit for brand new EV with full warranty and much more range than the model s 60. And arguably a more comfortable better car than the model s 60. It is actually a surprisingly good car for the money. And you would've gotten free unlimited charging for 3 years at electrify America stations. But yes hindsight and all EVs now are expensive so that might not be an option anymore. But it doesn't hurt to ask and shop around for the id4 or other EVs.
I didn’t expect to own this car for 40K. I wouldn’t have bought the car if I hadn’t been told it had a new battery. The other big item is the drive unit and that eas factored into the price. I have owned 4 BMW I3s, 2 Fiat 500es a Volt and a plug in Prius. For my usage the Tesla supercharging is a must have requirement. If I was planning on spending 45k I would have bought a nice 2016+ with a warranty. I don’t think that a used Model S is a no go, as long as you are getting a new battery and drive unit.

I didn’t expect to own this car for 40K. I wouldn’t have bought the car if I hadn’t been told it had a new battery. The other big item is the drive unit and that eas factored into the price. I have owned 4 BMW I3s, 2 Fiat 500es a Volt and a plug in Prius. For my usage the Tesla supercharging is a must have requirement. If I was planning on spending 45k I would have bought a nice 2016+ with a warranty. I don’t think that a used Model S is a no go, as long as you are getting a new battery and drive unit.
A 2016ish model s would be soon running out of warranty also and again you don't want to own a tesla out of warranty. I would've still looked at the alternatives especially now that there are alternatives. I think tesla got you so fixated on the free unlimited supercharging. Haha But all kidding aside, the id4 had 3 years free unlimited fast charging, albeit you have to find those electrify America stations. They are expanding rapidly and I would say they are now what tesla's network was about 2 years ago. So it is not too bad and there might be some near where you live.

In terms of total site count in the USA, not counting number of stalls, EA is today where Tesla was in late 2019. However, in terms of highway coverage in the USA, EA is today where Tesla was in early 2017. The pace of expansion is also very different with EA having 98 "coming soon" stations, however they define that, and Tesla having 82 US locations under construction and 181 US locations permitted for construction.

EA still has major cross-country gaps, including Interstates 80, 90 and 94 across the western United States as well as several missing north-south routes including Interstates 25, 29, 55 65. EA also only provides access to Canada via Blaine, WA; Sault Ste. Marie, MI; Detroit, MI; Buffalo, NY and I-87 south of Montreal.

Sorry, that was a long way of saying that EA is two to five years behind Tesla's Supercharger network, depending on which metrics one uses to compare.

In terms of total site count in the USA, not counting number of stalls, EA is today where Tesla was in late 2019. However, in terms of highway coverage in the USA, EA is today where Tesla was in early 2017. The pace of expansion is also very different with EA having 98 "coming soon" stations, however they define that, and Tesla having 82 US locations under construction and 181 US locations permitted for construction.

EA still has major cross-country gaps, including Interstates 80, 90 and 94 across the western United States as well as several missing north-south routes including Interstates 25, 29, 55 65. EA also only provides access to Canada via Blaine, WA; Sault Ste. Marie, MI; Detroit, MI; Buffalo, NY and I-87 south of Montreal.

Sorry, that was a long way of saying that EA is two to five years behind Tesla's Supercharger network, depending on which metrics one uses to compare.
During holiday travels in Dec 2015, we supercharged along I-70, I-29 and I-90...when I looked at EA to see if we could fast-charge to visit the same places in our ID.4 for Dec 2021, we would not be able to use I-29 any further north than I-80...

...So in my anecdotal case, I'd say EA is 6+ years behind Tesla.

During holiday travels in Dec 2015, we supercharged along I-70, I-29 and I-90...when I looked at EA to see if we could fast-charge to visit the same places in our ID.4 for Dec 2021, we would not be able to use I-29 any further north than I-80...

...So in my anecdotal case, I'd say EA is 6+ years behind Tesla.
I live in LA and the Tesla supercharging network is massive. Having owned a number of non-Tesla EVs I can honestly say that I would not recommend one unless you can charge at home. The number of electric cars in LA overwhelms the charging infrastructure, which is compounded by EV and ICE holes and broken cables, connectors, and chargers. When you are entirely reliant on over-saturated charging infrastructure, it becomes so frustrating to own an EV. I can tell you of entire afternoons where I didn't have the time and had to hunt down an available charger in order to continue my day.

Gotta love it when too many people and fanboys believe and post stuff like this:

At 140,000 miles I’m well on the road to this general sentiment being true for me. I don’t think it’s that far fetched for more recent models.

There are real issues with some cars and Tesla in particular still struggles with consistency - but this forum (any forum really) makes the perceived frequency and magnitude of problems much greater than it actually is.

I always have to chuckle at the doomsdayers that pop into every thread and proclaim how reckless it is to own a Tesla out of warranty. My out of warranty repair costs in 5 years and 140k miles are well south of $1,000.

I will agree that owning a car with no battery/drive unit warranty, given today’s absurd repair costs and Tesla’s death grip on service, is a gamble.

@nboyd any updates?

Unfortunately I’m in the same boat here. I bought a 2013 MS and the battery failed before I even picked it up from the Tesla dealer after it’s safety inspection (the BMS error code showed up right after they replaced the eMMC and signed off the safety inspection)

I’m now deciding if I sell the car at a loss or begin to dump money into it

@nboyd any updates?

Unfortunately I’m in the same boat here. I bought a 2013 MS and the battery failed before I even picked it up from the Tesla dealer after it’s safety inspection (the BMS error code showed up right after they replaced the eMMC and signed off the safety inspection)

I’m now deciding if I sell the car at a loss or begin to dump money into it

It ended up costing way more money to fix. I spent $25k last year and sold it this week. The total loss after fixing everything was $13k.

PSA to the rest of you: Probably should contact 057 before dumping that much money into a car. Just saying. ;)

Even with a completely missing battery and motor, plus transport to and from California... I think you might just then hit $25k. With any non-flooded battery you'd have probably made out at half that in an absolute worst case, including transport costs.

Reliability is a HUGE issue as well. In 2022, I visited 10 EA Locations. Again, LOCATIONS, Not Stations. Out of 10 (TEN) LOCATIONS, 8 were 100% offline. Thankfully I did not need to charge, and it was more of a curiosity thing.

A Local one was finished being built in July 2022. To this Date (Jan 2023) it is still not functional. A "Source" (Don't want him to lose his job) said EA's taking subsidies and cash grabs to build the stations, and getting around to actually turning them on "Eventually".

In 10 years of Tesla Ownership, and 350,000 + Miles, multitudes of cross country drives, I have never, not one single time, arrived at a supercharger that was offline. Sure, One, MAYBE Two stalls out of service, but the location was still functional and I was still able to charge.
Only time I ever had to really wait, was at Mountainview. Which is fine, gave me some time to film some videos on the experimental Liquid Cooled superchargers.

• Informative
Reactions: cdub and SO16
Reliability is a HUGE issue as well. In 2022, I visited 10 EA Locations. Again, LOCATIONS, Not Stations. Out of 10 (TEN) LOCATIONS, 8 were 100% offline. Thankfully I did not need to charge, and it was more of a curiosity thing.
In 10 years of Tesla Ownership, and 350,000 + Miles, multitudes of cross country drives, I have never, not one single time, arrived at a supercharger that was offline. Sure, One, MAYBE Two stalls out of service, but the location was still functional and I was still able to charge.
Only time I ever had to really wait, was at Mountainview. Which is fine, gave me some time to film some videos on the experimental Liquid Cooled superchargers.
(I have no Tesla.)
Did you check Plugshare first? FWIW, I had a road trip that spanned from 12/25/22 to 1/1/23 to So Cal, Central Coast and back to the SF Bay Area. Of all the EA sites I went to, none were offline (yes, some DC FC were down) and every time I went to one to charge with the intent to charge, I was able to, in some cases free (complimentary session at several sites and one where my session never showed up in my history (there's a longer story)).

This included Culver City (at least 2 complimentary sessions over 2 separate days), Goleta (all sessions paid), Solvang (session didn't show up), Pismo Beach (complimentary), Harden Ranch - Walmart in Salinas (complimentary). I mentioned the complimentary sessions at Electrify America Complementary Session Check-in.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
(I have no Tesla.)
Did you check Plugshare first? FWIW, I had a road trip that spanned from 12/25/22 to 1/1/23 to So Cal, Central Coast and back to the SF Bay Area. Of all the EA sites I went to, none were offline (yes, some DC FC were down) and every time I went to one to charge with the intent to charge, I was able to, in some cases free (complimentary session at several sites and one where my session never showed up in my history (there's a longer story)).

This included Culver City (at least 2 complimentary sessions over 2 separate days), Goleta (all sessions paid), Solvang (session didn't show up), Pismo Beach (complimentary), Harden Ranch - Walmart in Salinas (complimentary). I mentioned the complimentary sessions at Electrify America Complementary Session Check-in.
I'm in Wisconsin, and go around the Midwest the Most. No, did not check plugshare. I couldn't charge at the EA stations even if I wanted to, as I do not have CCS Support, and they aren't putting the CHAdeMO plugs in anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Since I have no Tesla and have a native CCS car, I always check Plugshare first before using any public charging to get a sense of whether it's reliable or not.

On my most recent trip, these non-EA DC FC sites didn't work for me but my expectations were low and I expected to have trouble:
Delano Maintenance Station | PlugShare - others before me reported they were broken on the CCS side, which they were. Would've been free.
Santa Barbara County Building (3) | PlugShare - wanted to use because they're cheap 14 cents per kWh when working.
Santa Barbara County - Health Services | PlugShare - ditto

EA Pass+ (you need to pay $4/mo) for CA and per kWh states is 31 cents per kWh.

These were other non-EA sites that I was able to charge on:
Madera Maintenance Station | PlugShare - free, a favorite for me
Tejon Pass Rest Area - Southbound | PlugShare - free and much better than before with 3/4 stations working instead of 1/4 for ages.
Denny's Delano | PlugShare - super cheap at $2 per hour for DC FC so I paid under 6 cents per kWh. This is under 1/4 of the price to charge at home on Pacific Gouge & Extort if I were on EV2-A (the plan for those w/o a separate meter for their EVSE). I backtracked to this site since Delano maintenence depot was broken.

FWIW, tonight, I checked one EA site near a fast food place I was at. Looked to be working but at least 1 plug was unavailable (not working).

On the way home from an excursion, I checked another EA site and all 4 DC FCs were set to complimentary session (the above wasn't). I took advantage figuring I could save my work a bit of $. (We get free L2 charging at work). I pulled down over 34 kWh for free.