Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I add FSD to my existing order?

Add FSD and pay the $500 late alteration fee?

• Yes

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 74.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a link for this?

Question: Do you believe someone ordering right now is guaranteed to pay $5,000.00 max for FSD if they want it later? If that is the case, FSD can wait.

Link: Tesla increases price of its ‘Full Self-Driving Capability’ over-the-air update

We contacted Tesla to get an explanation about the situation and the company confirmed that it isn’t supposed to apply to existing vehicles and they will honor the original $4,000 price. The new $5,000 price is for new orders.

Link: Tesla increases price of its ‘Full Self-Driving Capability’ over-the-air update

We contacted Tesla to get an explanation about the situation and the company confirmed that it isn’t supposed to apply to existing vehicles and they will honor the original $4,000 price. The new $5,000 price is for new orders.
Very good. If they continue the same practice going forward and only implement price increases on new orders and not existing owners, the max it will cost me to add EAP and FSD at a future date is $11,000.00. I can live with that.

The DS finally got back to me yesterday and said they are able to waive the $500 fee if I choose to add the FSD.

Apparently she has to get a manager to approve it first.

I still think it's a waste of money right now. We're a long way off from getting in our cars, putting a destination in the navigation and letting the car drive itself to where you need to go.

I don't know about you, but I bought my Tesla so I could have fun driving it. Sure driving can be boring sometimes (long highway drives, stop and go traffic) and EAP works just great for that. Save your money.

Reactions: MarkKW
I don't know about you, but I bought my Tesla so I could have fun driving it. Sure driving can be boring sometimes (long highway drives, stop and go traffic) and EAP works just great for that. Save your money.

Definitely noted. I don't get my car till mid September so plenty of time to wait and see if more news is to come prior to me taking delivery. I don't suspect FSD to be here anytime soon, but the reason I am considering this option is for the hardware upgrade since I plan on keeping the car at least five years.

Agreed with most, waste of $ to add it now. I know V9 mightttttttt be here soon but who knows. I personally wouldnt pay money now for something that may or may not actually arrive. I dont doubt Tesla, I doubt the regulations, state and federal laws that will have to allow such a thing to actually happen. Cars wont actually drive themselves for at least another 5-10 years at best. Save the $ and use it elsewhere. Clear coat on car, rims home charging.

Reactions: MarkKW
Definitely noted. I don't get my car till mid September so plenty of time to wait and see if more news is to come prior to me taking delivery. I don't suspect FSD to be here anytime soon, but the reason I am considering this option is for the hardware upgrade since I plan on keeping the car at least five years.

Again, just my opinion, but I don't see "Full" Self Driving happening even within 10 years. Sure, Tesla might add some FSD abilities, but if it's not going to be completely autonomous anytime soon and you'll still have to do some driving what's the point? Like I said EAP is already good enough to get you through the boring parts of driving and even that will still be improved beyond where it currently is now. I would honestly wait until true FSD is a reality and then buy a car with it... my guess is it's not going to happen within the lifetime of the Model S you have on order. And honestly... if you really want a car that does FSD, does it matter what kind of car it is... maybe a little as far as comfort features, comfy seats, a nice stereo system, maybe a screen to watch videos... but if a FSD car is going to stick to the rules of the road it really doesn't matter how sporty it is if it's never going to break the speed limit.