Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I add the Performance Upgrade on my MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick poll for the board.

I've already ordered my MYP with the performance upgrade, but have yet to receive a VIN, and I have recently started to consider if I should remove the Performance Upgrade and just go with the MYP with the 20" wheels instead.

I do really like the red brake calipers, and the 21" wheels are ok, but the 0-60 times are the same and the estimated range drops from 315 to 280 with the 21" wheels and high-performance tires. The increased top speed (from 145 mph to 155 mph) doesn't seem like a big deal to me, and I've read where the lower suspension makes the ride a tad harsher. I'm also a tad worried about the 21" wheels being more susceptible to curb rash and potholes.

So I'd greatly appreciate everyone's opinion.

I know it's a "personal choice" and all that, but will I regret taking that big range hit for slightly bigger wheels, red brake calipers, lowered suspension, and a slightly higher top speed? I don't mind a somewhat harsh ride if that translates into less body roll in turns. I just got rid of an AMG Mercedes, so I like sportier cars, but I've never owned an EV and I'm wondering if I'll regret taking the range hit after owning the MYP for a few years. I always hear Tesla owners say "range is king" so I want to make sure I'm making the right decision on my first EV purchase. If the lowered suspension really makes the car feel sportier and more fun when driven more aggressively on curving/winding roads, then I would probably be willing to take the range hit because I want a fun car to drive. If it doesn't make a big difference, then I'd probably remove the performance upgrade.

So do y'all think I should remove the Performance Upgrade? Did anyone on here take delivery of their MYP and regret getting, or not getting the performance upgrade? Is the Performance Upgrade worth the range hit? I don't have a long commute to work, and only take occasional road trips over 200 miles. Are there other hidden features of the Performance Upgrade that Tesla does not advertise on their website? Will there possibly be future software updates that include features only for owners who opted for the performance upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Here is my take. For the price, it's a no brainer to take the PUP for a few reasons. We were in the same dilemma but decided to stick to the PUP.

1) I know we do not need 280mi of range each day because we will charge at night and daily commute is about 60 miles round trip. The range would only matter on a road trip, which we rarely do.

2) Resale, Resale, Resale. This is my biggest point. Yes, the PUP is the same price as the non PUP, but that just changed recently and was taken away from the Model 3. Before, with the Model 3 it was only $2000 more for the car without the options. My point is that Elon just changed it to this recently. My concern is what is stopping him to change it back the other way. If so, you end up losing 4K on resale value instantly.

3) You can sell your Ubers and buy aftermarket rims/Inductions or possibly trade for Inductions (A few people on here have done an even swap). After that, call Tesla and you are back with the 316 suggested range on the car, minus whatever the Inductions take away.

So all in all, it's really up to you. I've seen conflicting stories about how the PUP rides better than the Inductions but then I've seen the opposite.

Edit: If there are any software updates like "track mode" or possibly a "Ludacris Mode" I would think those would go only to the PUP like the Model 3 since its setup for the additional speed and handling.

Always take things that are offered to you for free...good rule to follow :) take the value, as has been said above you can monetize the wheels...the brake upgrades alone are worth it (and again Tesla is giving you this value for "free")

Value aside though. I don't want the lowered suspension (it's a CUV I need it to be able to drive over none favorable terrain), and I don't want any additional cost replacing performance calipers vs regular calipers (or if the pads are different and they cost more for some reason, etc), when I most likely will rarely use the brakes anyway. And I could sell the 21's and get close to a new set of wheels/tires in a size and spec more favorable to me, but I can also just use the Gemini's as a winter set, and buy a summer set which will perform better than the Ubers anyway thus saving the money on buying a winter set when winter comes.

It all evens out in the end. I'd buy whatever car fits you the best.

Value aside though. I don't want the lowered suspension (it's a CUV I need it to be able to drive over none favorable terrain), and I don't want any additional cost replacing performance calipers vs regular calipers (or if the pads are different and they cost more for some reason, etc), when I most likely will rarely use the brakes anyway. And I could sell the 21's and get close to a new set of wheels/tires in a size and spec more favorable to me, but I can also just use the Gemini's as a winter set, and buy a summer set which will perform better than the Ubers anyway thus saving the money on buying a winter set when winter comes.

It all evens out in the end. I'd buy whatever car fits you the best.
If I recall correctly, someone measured the difference and it was about a half inch if that.

Induction on LR come with AS tires. I can confirm the M+S stamp on mine. Apparently on the Performance they will come with Summer.

I asked my rep and he said only 19" come with AS and all 20" regardless of Model come with Summer...smh...I think these guys are clueless. I'm pretty sure that it's the same 20" tire on both LR and Perf. I emailed corporate and will update soon

Reactions: howlz
I originally wanted performance with induction wheels when I ordered But was told that’s not a combination you can get. submitted request to change order today dropping Performance Upgrade and add Induction Wheels. I liked the look of the Uberturbine wheels but didn’t like the range loss or what the ride would be with lowered suspension and those wheels.

It’s all personal preference and having Arachnids on my S has a huge difference in ride quality so that’s my reasons.

You might want to approach this decision in a different way - compare a non-PUP performance to a non-Performance AWD. In that case, you would be paying $8K extra just for the faster acceleration (I'm assuming that top end speed difference is meaningless unless you're driving on the track or autobahn). If that doesn't seem worth it, adding the PUP will get you to a better value proposition.

Reactions: jimmym1981
Man go with the PUP its nothing like eating up Porsches and other cars just for the hell of it. The Model Y performance is very well disguised. It handles extremely well. I'm coming from a GLE 43 AMG...Other than the exhaust nodes missing its extremely well and fun to drive. So much dam power. And if you want better range in the PUP just drive normal.

It’s all personal preference along with each individuals use for the car. I test drove the Perf w/ PUP and while it’s crazy fast and puts a smirk on your face when you can blow away some Porsche’s, it wasn’t for my situation. My 10yr old said it was just like my xc90 w/ 21” and coiled susp. I can feel every pothole (NJ has shitty roads). The ride was stiff and slightly harsh. Great for a speed enthusiast and singles or couples but I am lying if I say it’s a good family use car if I got the Perf w/ PUP. The 20”s and the non-lowered suspension will reduce stiffness and will be softer due to more rubber....

I wouldn’t mind paying for the PUP if I were able to get the 20” and brakes.

Reactions: Kelr316
It’s all personal preference along with each individuals use for the car. I test drove the Perf w/ PUP and while it’s crazy fast and puts a smirk on your face when you can blow away some Porsche’s, it wasn’t for my situation. My 10yr old said it was just like my xc90 w/ 21” and coiled susp. I can feel every pothole (NJ has shitty roads). The ride was stiff and slightly harsh....
I wouldn’t mind paying for the PUP if I were able to get the 20” and brakes....

Got MYPUP, swapped to 19" Apollo/Geminis - gained 310 rated miles after wheel config change.

Will sell 21" Überturbines to cover cost of swap.

Big improvement in ride (softness/harshness) with 19s vs 21s. Also tried 20s, little to no noticeable improvement in ride vs 21s - plus the 255 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ was loud/droning at 50-70 mph.

To the OP @KAnder04 , I recommend get the PUP switch to 19s and get the range back...
20200606_103124.jpg

20200606_103124.jpg 20200606_153639.jpg capture1589421759540.png 20200503_162908.jpg 20200317_182219.jpg 20200316_160423.jpg

Reactions: Sheefo2k