Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I.... And a few Questions (advice needed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Racerx22b

@unplggdd on Instagram
Nov 17, 2014
West Palm Beach, FL
Wife and I swung by Tesla store (getting a whiney noise at parking lot speeds in the Model S) and while we were there we took a P90D Model X for a drive. I really like the interior a lot more than the Model S. More room in the back, more storage, and I like the 6 seater configuration. The Model S is my wife's car but it is our primary vehicle. I have a 2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged and it's basically loaded. And it's 510hp. It is solid. No issues at all. Only 11,000 miles on it.

First a couple of questions....

When the 3rd row is folded down (our demo was only 2 rows) is it totally flat and does it provide a basically seamless floor from the back of the 2nd row to the back of the storage area (liftgate)?

You have the option for enhanced AP and Fully autonomous (eventually) when configuring. Difference is 4 cameras vs 8 and the obvious full autonomous potential at some point. However, it says you can add the full autonomous at a later time for $4000 (instead of $3000). But if you don't opt for it when you order it appears you don't get all 8 cameras. Am I missing something? Can you get full autonomous with only 4 cameras or do you get all 8 cameras no matter what?

We basically decided to order the Model X P100D with everything but sub zero and dual chargers. ~$163,000. The past couple of days I have been reviewing this forum and there still seems to be quite a lot of problems/defects/known issues... etc... This has caused a serious slump in my enthusiasm for placing this order. I went through the same thing when ordering the Model S but to date we've only had a few issues that were minor and quickly remedied. It's never left us on side of road or been undriveable. However, there seems to be quite a lot more "noise" regarding the initial build quality of the X versus when we ordered the S. This is very concerning. Since I already have an AP1 Model S and have experienced the thrill of driving such an incredible car I am hesitant to dump this amount of money in another considering I already have a perfectly functioning Range Rover. It would sicken me to get rid of the Rover and replace it with the X and then be stuck with a bunch of stupid problems and/or for it to be back at the service center on a frequent basis.

Option 1 - Roll the dice and place the order

Option 2 - Hold onto the Range Rover another year or two and give Tesla time to tweak the X so it's initial quality (and long term quality) are closer to what you'd expect at this price point (I know it'll never be a Mercedes Benz).

Option 3 - There is little hope for Tesla to fix all the issues with the X. Keep the Range Rover and move on.

Thoughts?

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
Third row folds flat to the level of the upper position of the rear shelf.

All 8 cameras are physically present on every car built today. Only four are actively used by eAP.

Issues are exaggerated by the nature of forums. I haven't had any real problems with my August build X, and I'm pretty sure that's true for the vast majority of owners.

I'm torn between option one and option two, because I am expecting significant improvements in the car during the next year, including interior/UI changes based on the final 3 reveal (the much rumored HUD?) as well as the new Xavier processor for AP2 (60% more processing power on 12% of the power based on a system on a chip design NVidia announced at CES for mass production this fall,) and maybe bigger packs from 2170 cells.

I don't think there's much risk in "rolling the dice", though, and the car is pretty awesome the way it is, and Tesla could certainly use the money to help them change the world. So I'm not sure which way to recommend (except not option 3.)

Wife and I swung by Tesla store (getting a whiney noise at parking lot speeds in the Model S) and while we were there we took a P90D Model X for a drive. I really like the interior a lot more than the Model S. More room in the back, more storage, and I like the 6 seater configuration. The Model S is my wife's car but it is our primary vehicle. I have a 2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged and it's basically loaded. And it's 510hp. It is solid. No issues at all. Only 11,000 miles on it.

First a couple of questions....

When the 3rd row is folded down (our demo was only 2 rows) is it totally flat and does it provide a basically seamless floor from the back of the 2nd row to the back of the storage area (liftgate)?

You have the option for enhanced AP and Fully autonomous (eventually) when configuring. Difference is 4 cameras vs 8 and the obvious full autonomous potential at some point. However, it says you can add the full autonomous at a later time for $4000 (instead of $3000). But if you don't opt for it when you order it appears you don't get all 8 cameras. Am I missing something? Can you get full autonomous with only 4 cameras or do you get all 8 cameras no matter what?

We basically decided to order the Model X P100D with everything but sub zero and dual chargers. ~$163,000. The past couple of days I have been reviewing this forum and there still seems to be quite a lot of problems/defects/known issues... etc... This has caused a serious slump in my enthusiasm for placing this order. I went through the same thing when ordering the Model S but to date we've only had a few issues that were minor and quickly remedied. It's never left us on side of road or been undriveable. However, there seems to be quite a lot more "noise" regarding the initial build quality of the X versus when we ordered the S. This is very concerning. Since I already have an AP1 Model S and have experienced the thrill of driving such an incredible car I am hesitant to dump this amount of money in another considering I already have a perfectly functioning Range Rover. It would sicken me to get rid of the Rover and replace it with the X and then be stuck with a bunch of stupid problems and/or for it to be back at the service center on a frequent basis.

Option 1 - Roll the dice and place the order

Option 2 - Hold onto the Range Rover another year or two and give Tesla time to tweak the X so it's initial quality (and long term quality) are closer to what you'd expect at this price point (I know it'll never be a Mercedes Benz).

Option 3 - There is little hope for Tesla to fix all the issues with the X. Keep the Range Rover and move on.

Thoughts?
Re flat floor, unfortunately no. Almost flat from the end of trunk up to the tip of folded 3rd row, but there are some gap between the 3rd row seat and the back of 2nd row seat. In this situation if you brake hard, objects in the trunk will fly or move and hit the back of 2nd row seats, or slip through the crack in between.

Re difference between enhanced AP (EAP) and full self driving capability (FSDC), the hardware, I mean cameras, are the same. The difference is only in software.

And finally you worry about the build quality of X? I can only tell from my experience but my X was delivered in January 2017 and it had a very small paint issue (less than half inch scratch) and one small ding on the chrome trim near the driver's door. No other issues. Very happy about the car. So option 1.

IMG_0025.JPG
My late December 60D had no issues when I took delivery. I think most here would agree that the MXs made early in the year had many more issues than those made late in the year. That said, issues do still occur.

Tesla has had 4 years of experience on the Model S and so has had time to work out the QA issues on the car. Also remember that people rarely post when they are happy.

The third seat looks flat to me but there is a slight change in height between rear deck and seat back.

Good info here... I appreciate it. I figured it came with all cameras but wanted to confirm. I think it would be good to just upgrade to the full autonomous feature at a later time because who knows when, or if, it'll ever be a reality. That is just my opinion.

I know these are serious first world problems so don't think I'm not aware of that.

Other opinions are welcome. Glad to hear some of you haven't had the issues that seem to be taking over the first page of this forum. Reading these threads is very eye opening and makes it seem like the initial build quality is almost laughable.

Another question. What real world range have some of you got with a P90D or P100D running at highway speeds (75-80mph)? I can go 200 miles in my Model S 85 at those speeds with a full charge. I have about 10-20 miles left at that point. That is about as low as I want to take it.

Interesting timing for my first post... I just ordered a 90D (with all the good options) and I'm super excited. Our criteria was a) 3 row SUV and b) electric. Not too many options there lol. We did consider the traditional offerings from Mercedes, BMW, Range Rover, Audi, Volvo and Porsche. They just don't impress us anymore, and I think most people on the forums would agree. Yeah, talk about first world problems

All this is to say, I think you will be very happy with the Model X, especially you ordered the P100D. That will probably beast the Range Rover all day. That truck is just old fashioned, know what I'm saying? But your not new to Tesla at all, so we don't need to preach to the choir here.

The Enhanced Autopilot was a real selling point for us. No other automaker has anything like it. Not to mention full self driving which, again no other cars on the market are ready for. With the Model X I believe your getting the right car for right now and the future...anything else feels obsolete.

In terms of reliability, I know a few people who got this car in the past few months and no problems whatsoever. More specifically, no issues with the falcon doors, in case you're interested. That's my 3 cents.

We took delivery of our 90D in December and couldn't be happier. We noticed some very minor cosmetic issues mostly because we are being extremely picky. We should be picky though. It's a lot of money! Our one service visit was fantastic and the car is such a pleasure to drive or even just sit in. I've never loved a car before but I sure love this one.

Congratulations on your order! I can't wait to hear all about your new X.

I will add my voice here to the group saying not to worry about quality issues. There were a few minor annoyances from the factory but they've been resolved quickly, just like bugZ. Plus, think about how much gas that Range Rover will burn in the year or two you might wait!

I fold my back seats down (6 seat config) for skiing and hauling things around frequently. There's essentially no gap between the folded back row and the middle seats. To get the flat floor you put the rear shelf in the higher config which leaves a nice space underneath for small things that might otherwise roll around as you tear around on the roads.

One thing I'd suggest considering: drop the P. At least try to test drive a 100D (90D if they don't have it) before you commit. Yes, you lose a tiny bit of acceleration but you gain noticeable range which can save you time (which to me is the most valuable).

I will add my voice here to the group saying not to worry about quality issues. There were a few minor annoyances from the factory but they've been resolved quickly, just like bugZ. Plus, think about how much gas that Range Rover will burn in the year or two you might wait!

I fold my back seats down (6 seat config) for skiing and hauling things around frequently. There's essentially no gap between the folded back row and the middle seats. To get the flat floor you put the rear shelf in the higher config which leaves a nice space underneath for small things that might otherwise roll around as you tear around on the roads.

One thing I'd suggest considering: drop the P. At least try to test drive a 100D (90D if they don't have it) before you commit. Yes, you lose a tiny bit of acceleration but you gain noticeable range which can save you time (which to me is the most valuable).

Thanks for the input. I considered dropping the P (and saving $37k) but the range difference is only 6 miles between the two and the only thing I long for with our Model S is more acceleration. The 100D X is not much faster than our Model S 85. Even my wife keeps saying that no matter what we are getting the fastest one they have when we get another one. This coming from a woman that went from a CRV to the Model S 85. She loves being able to jump past someone with just a tap of the accelerator. Now she wants even more "GO".

Reactions: hiroshiy and gavine
We took delivery of our 90D in December and couldn't be happier.

I am glad yours had only minor issues :). Would you consider headlights(or body pannels) not installed symmetrically a small issue?

We took delivery in Dec as well and we are not happy at all. Most seals seems to be misaligned, silver trimmings almost all off by a few millimeters, headlights not installed symmetrically, weird gaps between body panels, leather on the seats not properly streched and countless software issues or sensor issues.

I've sent a list of 30 items to the SC. The car is drive-able but in no way works or looks as expected.

@Racerx22b
I recommend(if possible) that you don't pay or take delivery of the car until you see and are happy with it. I would even recommed you pick it up yourself and if the car is not as you expect it, wait for them to fix it.

Good Luck

I am glad yours had only minor issues :). Would you consider headlights(or body pannels) not installed symmetrically a small issue?

We took delivery in Dec as well and we are not happy at all. Most seals seems to be misaligned, silver trimmings almost all off by a few millimeters, headlights not installed symmetrically, weird gaps between body panels, leather on the seats not properly streched and countless software issues or sensor issues.

I've sent a list of 30 items to the SC. The car is drive-able but in no way works or looks as expected.

@Racerx22b
I recommend(if possible) that you don't pay or take delivery of the car until you see and are happy with it. I would even recommed you pick it up yourself and if the car is not as you expect it, wait for them to fix it.

Good Luck

We have some minor body/trim alignment issues with our Model S. I DO NOT like it but accept the fact this will never be Mercedes Benz/BMW level of build quality. I'm not saying it's acceptable for them to not address it but clearly it's not something that is a priority considering it continued to the X from the S. I have no doubt the 3 will be the same way. Minor issues I can live with but a leaking roof or a FWD not properly closing/opening or FWDs that open all on their own is NOT GOING TO BE ACCEPTABLE. Or this issue of the windshield ghosting... I don't even know what that is but it sounds terrible. Headlights misaligned? That should be fixed by the dealer within minutes. I really appreciate your feedback but I have to say that the issues you described with fit & finish have been widely reported ever since the Model S was in production. Even the demo Model X we drove had plastic panels and chrome trim that didn't line up. It's unfortunate and shouldn't be occurring but it's far from a surprise.

I DO NOT like it but accept the fact this will never be Mercedes Benz/BMW level of build quality.
A $40.000 BMW should not look better than a $120.000 Tesla, they should be similar or Tesla should look better.
I expected my car to have FWD problems, software issues, but I did not expect to see double/triple headlights or have ugly car seats.

There were minor fit and finish issues with our old non AP MS 85 that my wife never even noticed. It was her car. Didn't bother me as I felt like we were pioneers and that was a small price to pay.

Our current ap1 p100d has had very minor issues that were fixed quickly. Overall the fit and finish is better than our MS 85. We couldn't be happier.

Go for it

Get the X you will not regret it, you only here the ugly on this forum. My X is 7 months old and only minor problems, we hardly drive our S anymore. Also why would you want an ICE anyway!
Well this is not true. My experience on this and other Tesla forums if you speak negative of a $100k plus Tesla there must be something wrong with you so a lot of people don't post. Well I don't consider non functioning FWD doors on day one of ownership, interior trim that breaks off and falls on passengers, water entering the car from the front windows when driving on the highway in the rain, a rear tailgate that squeaks and rattles non stop, FWD that won't open if the sun shines on them and rain water that pours on your rear seats (or passengers) whenever you open the FWD in the rain normal or acceptable. To top it off it only takes 3-4 weeks to get an appointment to get these issues looked at. And I guess it is okay if the parts to fix the FWD so rain doesn't pour my daughters head is back ordered with no estimate of when they will be back in stock. I guess I shouldn't drive in the rain. Don't get me wrong it is a fantastic piece of technology and I love how it drives but go in with your eyes WIDE open. This vehicle is far from perfect and the fit and finish are not anything close to what your have with your RR. This is MY experience and I cancelled my Model 3 order because of the issues AND the responses from Tesla. Tesla has come a long way in a few years but they really need to improve QC and the service experience.

Well this is not true. My experience on this and other Tesla forums if you speak negative of a $100k plus Tesla there must be something wrong with you so a lot of people don't post. Well I don't consider non functioning FWD doors on day one of ownership, interior trim that breaks off and falls on passengers, water entering the car from the front windows when driving on the highway in the rain, a rear tailgate that squeaks and rattles non stop, FWD that won't open if the sun shines on them and rain water that pours on your rear seats (or passengers) whenever you open the FWD in the rain normal or acceptable. To top it off it only takes 3-4 weeks to get an appointment to get these issues looked at. And I guess it is okay if the parts to fix the FWD so rain doesn't pour my daughters head is back ordered with no estimate of when they will be back in stock. I guess I shouldn't drive in the rain. Don't get me wrong it is a fantastic piece of technology and I love how it drives but go in with your eyes WIDE open. This vehicle is far from perfect and the fit and finish are not anything close to what your have with your RR. This is MY experience and I cancelled my Model 3 order because of the issues AND the responses from Tesla. Tesla has come a long way in a few years but they really need to improve QC and the service experience.
Sorry to hear of your problems, I was not trying to say there were no problems just giving my experience which is totally opposite of yours. As with anything mechanical you can have issues, not tying to make excuses for Tesla. They do have parts and service wait time issues, however I have had a very good experience with all the service done on both my Model S and X.