Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I ask for this alignment to be fixed? New M3

Should This Be Fixed?

• Yes, you need other repairs anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model 3 at London Heathrow (West Drayton) this morning and am very relieved to find it in mostly-perfect condition. There is a slight panel misalignment between the front and back doors on both sides, but to my untrained eye it seems pretty minor. Every other panel looked perfect. Should I bother reporting this and trying to get it fixed?

There are 3 other issues I’m having to get fixed/already reported, so I expect the car will be going in for servicing either way. My inclination is to leave it because I don’t want the bolts or anything else on the door damaged, but I’m unsure if that’s the right call.
1693C7AD-FDCA-4B50-98E0-E39AAC5D49F9.jpeg
56442C7F-4FE8-4771-B501-ED350A5F1395.jpeg
402EA9EC-89D9-468D-9930-606AF35FA5B1.jpeg

Thats pretty minor, but they can adjust it. You can actually do it yourself too - the door hinge just has 2 screws, you loosen it and move it till the door shuts flush. That's all the service tech did for my door (which was more misaligned than yours)

Reactions: AnonMonkey
As an aside, for anyone interested in the London Heathrow delivery process, I loved it! My appointment was for 10am, I arrived around 9:30 and no other customers were there. I gave my name and showed my license, nothing else (I had brought proof of insurance but it wasn’t asked for). My car was parked outside with several other 3s. I had to drive it in and out of the bay a few times to have space to fully inspect everything, but that was easy enough. By the time I left, about an hour later, there was a queue of 3 people, all social distancing. In the time I was inspecting my car (with the help of the checklist!) several other people drove off without bothering to check anything on theirs.

I found 5 faults, 3 of which I’ve already asked to be fixed: a small paint chip on a corner by the taillights, missing paint in the door panels, and a section of the undercarriage panel that’s unattached. I never would have caught the panel issue if I hadn’t been crawling on my belly with a flashlight and running my hands over everything. The other two faults were very slight orange texture on a tiny section on the base of the front passenger door, and two minor panel misalignments.

Everything else about the car seems absolutely perfect. And my god what a joy to drive!!! I love it already.

Attached are photos of the faults for anyone curious, but overall I am very happy.
0B4E5B73-8335-4111-9B4F-88C019227E88.jpeg
232AEC15-F55C-4E43-A1E0-47AA2A1717F9.jpeg
B53CF9E6-EFD4-410D-88AE-23BF00FD4C97.jpeg
B53CF9E6-EFD4-410D-88AE-23BF00FD4C97.jpeg

When door seals are new, they exert some outward pressure on doors, causing them to stand a little proud of the next panes.

It might be that they take this into consideration during assembly.

After your seals compress this offset might settle to a flush fit by itself. Firmer seals when new might also result in a quieter car after they settle.

These cars do not have show quality finishes. They are high production paint jobs, and a little orange peal seems to be common on most all production cars. They can rub it out some, but will rately achieve the high mirror finish that many strive to achieve. Speak to your friendly local detailer to see if they can make it better if it is more convenient for you than taking it back to service center.

On my Model X, a Falcon Wing door stuck out a bit like yours on delivery, but after a few months it now sits flush :)

Also had a similar issue with my Frunk that was hard to close when new. Now it clicks shut with just an easy push. Just took some time for the new seals to compress.

When door seals are new, they exert some outward pressure on doors, causing them to stand a little proud of the next panes.

It might be that they take this into consideration during assembly.
LOL. But they didn't take that into consideration for the other 3 doors then?

I found 5 faults, 3 of which I’ve already asked to be fixed: a small paint chip on a corner by the taillights, missing paint in the door panels, and a section of the undercarriage panel that’s unattached. I never would have caught the panel issue if I hadn’t been crawling on my belly with a flashlight and running my hands over everything. The other two faults were very slight orange texture on a tiny section on the base of the front passenger door, and two minor panel misalignments.

1. paint chip: driver's choice. edge/corner paint issues seem to be very common with these cars. i imagine they'd just do a hand touchup, or ask for the paint and do it yourself.

2. missing paint: also common. but it's literally on the interior surfaces. would you want them to remove the doors and respray those areas? i'd take a pass

3. undercarriage: plastic panel with clips... just bang it with the palm of your hand, it'll pop back in

4. door misalignment: driver's choice. this is far from the worst example. what i'd advise is that you document it with tesla... then combine it with other servicing issues when required.

LOL. But they didn't take that into consideration for the other 3 doors then?

1. paint chip: driver's choice. edge/corner paint issues seem to be very common with these cars. i imagine they'd just do a hand touchup, or ask for the paint and do it yourself.

2. missing paint: also common. but it's literally on the interior surfaces. would you want them to remove the doors and respray those areas? i'd take a pass

3. undercarriage: plastic panel with clips... just bang it with the palm of your hand, it'll pop back in

4. door misalignment: driver's choice. this is far from the worst example. what i'd advise is that you document it with tesla... then combine it with other servicing issues when required.

The only reason I want the missing paint on the inside doors fixed is because of possible rust in those areas. Do you not think this is a concern?

The only reason I want the missing paint on the inside doors fixed is because of possible rust in those areas. Do you not think this is a concern?

the anti-corrosion treatment is applied before the base and clear coats. they dip the entire body chassis in a chemical bath before even the primer goes on. if you see the "underpainted" areas in other cars --- e.g. typically way deeper into the engine bay.... those areas get moisture but dont rust either.

personally, i wouldnt bother...but it doesnt hurt to ask tesla. (luckily, my white is fully painted through)