Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

should I be able to lock my keys in the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because I did... a week ago while running in to grab lunch at a local deli, I left the keys sitting in the center "console" area. I was very unpleasantly surprised when I came back out with my hands full of sammich and my car handles wouldn't present. And, of course, I ALSO left my phone in the car, so I had to panic call my wife, get her to download the app, and unlock me remotely.

I was under the impression that if the key fob was in the car it would not "lock" - is this incorrect? I've certainly done this a number of times (i.e. left my key in the car while parked in the garage or whatever) and it had never happened... I'm trying to understand the algorithm or whatever determines if the car locks or not.

(And please direct any replies saying "you shouldn't leave your keys inside the car when you go inside" as PMs instead of wasting peoples' bandwidth ;-)

Because I did... a week ago while running in to grab lunch at a local deli, I left the keys sitting in the center "console" area. I was very unpleasantly surprised when I came back out with my hands full of sammich and my car handles wouldn't present. And, of course, I ALSO left my phone in the car, so I had to panic call my wife, get her to download the app, and unlock me remotely.

I was under the impression that if the key fob was in the car it would not "lock" - is this incorrect? I've certainly done this a number of times (i.e. left my key in the car while parked in the garage or whatever) and it had never happened... I'm trying to understand the algorithm or whatever determines if the car locks or not.

(And please direct any replies saying "you shouldn't leave your keys inside the car when you go inside" as PMs instead of wasting peoples' bandwidth ;-)

I've done that before, but pressing on the door handle made it present.

My wife left her handbag in the car once, with her key in it. The car seemed to lock (handles retracted, mirrors folded,...), when we walked away, but pressing on the driver's door handle made them all present. The car looked like it was locked, but in fact it was not. The door handles would present for anyone who pressed one while the key was in the car.

You may want to check the battery in the fob.

I have heard of people leaving the key in the back of the car and getting locked out that way.

With the key in the cupholder you, or anyone, should be able to just hop in and drive of.