Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Be Concerned Buying A New 2018 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi TMC crew,

I'm new to the group and wanted to get an opinion from the group. I posted a similar thread on Reddit.

I'm looking to purchase a Model 3. I talked to a rep from the showcase store and talked to them about the options I'm interested in and my budget. The rep showed me their new inventory and I was shocked to see a NEW 2018 Model 3 LR AWD, red exterior with sport wheels, black interior 21 miles on the odometer for $42,800 before taxes, destination and other fees. The 2020 with the same configuration would cost $50,490. The rep couldn't believe it. He had to do a 2nd take to make sure it's still there.

I placed the $100 order to reserve the car. A rep called me the next day to tell me the car will be delivered the next day. I do have some concerns about the car: why hasn't it been sold, how long has it been sitting on the lot, has the car been charged often, etc. I'm wondering why it's so cheap and why it hasn't been sold.

I haven't inspected the car as the delivery date is scheduled for tomorrow. Here's what I know about the car:

- The car is NEW but it's classified as a fleet car
- VIN 13X,XXX
- Birthdate - Nov 7, 2018

I know I should take a look on the right fender to make sure that it isn't touching the body. Is there anything I should look for (interior/exterior) and what questions should I ask about the car? What concerns would you have if you were in my shoes?

I'm OK with the HW 2.5. I don't see myself getting FSD anytime soon.

Thanks in advance!

What concerns would you have if you were in my shoes?

Thanks in advance!

The same concern that I would have buying any NEW car that was sitting for that long. I would want to know repair history as well. Even for tesla, to lose a car for close to 2 years?

Occam's razor would apply for me here (the simplest answer is normally the correct one). The "simplest" answer to me, is that there was something TRULY major wrong with the car, and it got pushed to the back burner to get repaired due to it being designated a fleet car, then it finally (supposedly) got repaired, and just sat there.

I certainly wouldnt buy it, but my risk tolerance for something like this is pretty low... especially on a "new" car. I would want to know is it being sold new or used (not miles, but legal designation). If its used, I would pass, because most rebates and such are for new cars. New vs used is a legal designation that doesnt have anything to do with miles. If new, and you like the discount, /shrug... Like I said, for "me" unless they could give me a very (very) good reason for why its there I would pass.

("its a fleet car and it just sat" isnt a good reason imo)

Hi TMC crew,

Yep jjr has the most likely solution. The rep would have known all about it, he just pretended to act surprised. The most important thing to do is to have an independent person with Tesla experience do a detailed inspection to ensure that anything that was wrong with it has been fixed properly and to identify what faults it still has so you can decide whether to accept it. That inspection will cost some coin of course but you will be provided with a written report that can then be used as a bargaining tool with Tesla assuming you still want the vehicle.

Hi TMC crew,

I'm new to the group and wanted to get an opinion from the group. I posted a similar thread on Reddit.

I'm looking to purchase a Model 3. I talked to a rep from the showcase store and talked to them about the options I'm interested in and my budget. The rep showed me their new inventory and I was shocked to see a NEW 2018 Model 3 LR AWD, red exterior with sport wheels, black interior 21 miles on the odometer for $42,800 before taxes, destination and other fees. The 2020 with the same configuration would cost $50,490. The rep couldn't believe it. He had to do a 2nd take to make sure it's still there.

I placed the $100 order to reserve the car. A rep called me the next day to tell me the car will be delivered the next day. I do have some concerns about the car: why hasn't it been sold, how long has it been sitting on the lot, has the car been charged often, etc. I'm wondering why it's so cheap and why it hasn't been sold.

I haven't inspected the car as the delivery date is scheduled for tomorrow. Here's what I know about the car:

- The car is NEW but it's classified as a fleet car
- VIN 13X,XXX
- Birthdate - Nov 7, 2018

I know I should take a look on the right fender to make sure that it isn't touching the body. Is there anything I should look for (interior/exterior) and what questions should I ask about the car? What concerns would you have if you were in my shoes?

I'm OK with the HW 2.5. I don't see myself getting FSD anytime soon.

Thanks in advance!
Nice find, Now that's my kinda deal!

There are all kinds of cars out there that have fallen through the cracks like this, just gotta look for them. Just find the usual Model 3 delivery guide and go off that. Best here is that you're getting a full feature car before they started decontenting.

One possibility was that it was a show car... Like sitting in a showroom for people to see but not drive.
Even with only 21 miles on the ODO it is possible that it had a lot of people get in and out just to sit in it.
If possible, you should check for wear items like check to see if the edge of the driver seat looks OK for instance.

Reactions: Tron 3
Sounds like a pretty good deal. I’d double check it includes AP they didn’t “include” that back then.

I’d personally want to see this thing in person. If it really was sitting in a show room or something the inside may be a bit roughed up.