Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I be upset about receiving a 2018 car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I confirmed it was a late 2018 build, so while I would rather have (and think I should have) a 2019, my delivery is in 5 days and I'm just going to take it. I'm planning to keep the car long enough where hopefully the resale value difference won't be significant.

My new problem is that the MVPA shows as a "Previous Service/Demo Vehicle" which will absolutely NOT fly in my book since I'm paying for a brand new car, but I have been assured it is brand new and this is just how some batched build/inventory cars get labeled in Texas. Might be total BS, but I will be examining the car very closely for any signs it was used as a demo or service vehicle.
They may have to do that to legally have the car within the state without being sold.

New Texas Tesla cars are purchased in California before being shipped.

Never been driven and they would not give a discount.

Sorry, but you're getting a raw deal here. I ordered base wheels and was offered free sport wheels if I took a 2018 with the same status and they also assured me that it was never actually used and the odometer had 20 miles on it. Alternatively they also offered me to upgrade to any color I wanted for no cost as long as they had it in inventory. You should be getting some upgrade here with a price adjustment unless you already have all the options you want.

• Informative
Reactions: seattlite2004
Are there any issues with it having been sat around for so long unused?

Presumably they did a full shut-down, but even so batteries don't like to be left like that. Hopefully it was at a sensible SoC.

If there are, it should be apparent via reduced range and covered under the warranty.

I'd be more inclined to use a OBD dongle and check the battery SoH. What is the app, TeslaSpy or something?

Also the battery warranty only kicks in when it reaches 70% SoH, so if it's lost 20% (unlikely) sitting around you are SOL. For reference the worst I've seen is about 7% after six months sat in a field.

The whole model year thing doesn’t make any sense. If you buy a 2019 Honda Civic in late 2018, it’s considered a 2019 even though it was built in 2018. At least Tesla is being honest by using actual build date.

Model year is embedded into the VIN itself. a 2018 decodes as a 2018. In your example, even though you purchased it in 2018, the vin is for a 2019. Model year does impact resale value in pre-owned marketplace. Buying a 2018 VIN in 2019 would see an immediate value difference for resale. However, if you plan on keeping it at least 4-5 years, i don't think it would really matter. If you plan on keeping it for 2-3 years, i would probably stick with a 2019.

Model year is embedded into the VIN itself. a 2018 decodes as a 2018. In your example, even though you purchased it in 2018, the vin is for a 2019. Model year does impact resale value in pre-owned marketplace. Buying a 2018 VIN in 2019 would see an immediate value difference for resale. However, if you plan on keeping it at least 4-5 years, i don't think it would really matter. If you plan on keeping it for 2-3 years, i would probably stick with a 2019.

Yeah, still doesn't make sense or seem fair. Tesla isn't playing that game so it puts them at a disadvantage.

Positive it doesn't. It is why we don't have TMSpy for the 3 yet. There is a diag port, but it isn't ODB2.

Wow, that's... Extremely crappy. I'm sure it's a legal requirement in the EU, maybe cars here will have them.

Can you display the SoH on the screen somehow? How are you supposed to evaluate a Model 3 battery?

Sounds like Tesla is making more vehicles than they can sell and since they only have limited options its easy for them to just store them and just pull one from the lot to fill the orders when they get them. When I ordered my Model S a few years ago you had many more customizable options so car was put on the line and produced after the order was placed.

Reactions: Ormond
Same boat here. 2018 December build M3P. Ordered in February 2019. But they at least gave me free white interior. I’ve had a Tesla before- some people like the way they change things along the way...others don’t. My 2018 MX was the LAST VIN to get the old MCP. Pissed me off royally. Happened while it was in production. Guy that ordered same day as me got the new one. It worked out ok while I owned the car, though.

Wow, that's... Extremely crappy. I'm sure it's a legal requirement in the EU, maybe cars here will have them.

Can you display the SoH on the screen somehow? How are you supposed to evaluate a Model 3 battery?
I would presume it won't come with one there either. After all the main purpose of said port is for emissions compliance testing. Which an EV clearly doesn't need (hence the reason they were able to get an exception at least in the US). There is still canbus access, it just takes a different connector.

While model year is certainly relevant to resale value, anyone buying a Tesla had better educate themselves on the Tesla way of doing business. For example, if you are shopping for a 2016 Model S, the early year cars look nothing like the late 2016 cars — the nose cone was removed mid-year — and AP2 hardware replaced AP1 hardware. (Personally I don’t like the nose cone and wanted AP2 so those features would be what I would be most concerned about, not the model year.)

I have no idea how the resale market is treating these major changes that would never be done mid-year by most manufacturers. I assume resale value tools like KBB aren’t set up very well to handle Tesla’s way of doing radical changes mid-model year. (For example, I doubt nose cone and AP2 are criteria KBB uses for 2016 Model S searches.)

My 2016 VIN Model S was built in Dec 2016 and my 2018 VIN Model 3 in Jan 2018. Obviously I would have preferred a Jan 2017 build date for the S, and if I tended to flip cars after 3 or 4 years I would have waited. But I tend to keep cars 8-10 years or more, so the model year didn’t matter much.

Last edited: