Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I be worried about a 2017 inventory car ordered in - August 2016?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm supposed to pick up an oddball inventory 60 with a 2017 VIN but which has everything priced from the August 2016 pricebook. It's hardware 2 but has autopilot convenience features priced at $2,500 (AP 1 increased to $3K in August 2016 I think). Base price is $66K not $68K etc.

They are throwing in free supercharging despite the 2017 VIN, but now I'm getting a bit worried. The car's option list means it must have been a custom order which was never delivered (small battery, rear wheel drive, but with ventilated seats, premium package etc.) - RWD 60 inventory cars are usually sparsely optioned).

Even if the customer put delivery off repeatedly - isn't the August 2016 pricebook on a 2017 VIN a bit weird? I'm worried about things like accident damage at the factory, car gets shipped to body shop or something for large repaint and frame straightening - then sold to unsuspecting customer months later.

Does this kind of thing happen?

But I don't think it is that weird, someone order in August, 2016 but asked for delivery in January/February, 2017 because that is when they wanted it and/or they really wanted a 2017 VIN. Then between when they ordered it and it was available they had a change of heart and/or a life event that prevented them from being able to take delivery. (Maybe once the 100D was made available they really wanted that so they cancelled and re-ordered.) It could be that there was damage from shipping and the customer refused it even though it could have been repaired. (People have refused delivery for things as small as poor paint quality on the bumper covers and had Tesla re-make the car.)

And they aren't "throwing in free unlimited Supercharging" that would have come standard on any car order prior to 1/15/2017 that is built/delivered prior to 4/15/2017.

If you ask they have to disclose significant damage that was repaired.

FWIW, my Roadster was an orphan car, and I've had very few issues with it. Someone had order it, and then never took delivery, for reasons unknown to me. It's a 2010, but I bought it in 2011. I would not worry about buying an orphan car, provided that it has the configuration you want at a price you like.

Do ask them about any damage that's been repaired, and check it for signs of damage when you take delivery.

It's easy to get cold feet on battery size. And people often seem to place their order and THEN get on here - learn a lot, and realize they might want something different. If the price is right, and the options are right - I'd take it. I thought only in factory damage could be repaired without disclosure - but regardless you have the same warranty as new. As you say a twisted frame would be the major concern - so keep a careful eye of tire wear and/or get alignment checked independently. For resale, nothing is going to show up on any reports, so provided it's straight- you've got no concerns.

OOI, how much are they looking for, for a well optioned 60?

How many freakin Tesla's do you own? 70D
100D
and another Model S and a Model 3 on order?

Lol no - I wish. Sorry for the confusion - I own only one Tesla - a 70D. 70D I'm giving to mom. When Tesla refused supercharging on the 100D I cancelled the order - decided if I couldn't get supercharging I might as well wait til March 31 when I believe the HUD or AR system will debut in Model S. Then I found a bizarrely good deal on an inventory 60 and jumped on it - figuring I'll drive it for a year at close to zero cost due to the combination of old price book and business use tax deduction on the miles + free "fuel." Made the car as cheap as a Honda Accord even only using it for a year. I ended up not taking that one either and I think another TMC'er is buying it from Tesla.

I'm trying to stick to my guns and wait til March 31 to get what I think will be HUD and 100D. I DO have two day one California Model 3 reservations. Plan to buy two cars. Give one to girlfriend/fiancee and perhaps the other to mom (the 70D is AP1 and does not have the HEPA filter) and then sell the 70D.

So - that'll be, like, five Tesla purchases and one sale in one year. Unless I get an X for the business - that massive write-off is mighty appealing and I legitimately need a crew-hauler / tow machine.

• Informative
Reactions: Max*