Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I be worried? [about this tire damage]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WSBKing420

Yazzi Da Grate
Apr 19, 2021
NYC
Found this on my tire today, I'm assuming it's from curb while parking at some point.. do you think I can just patch it in with some Rubber Glue or should I be considering changing the tire? It doesn't seem like there is any deeper crack in the tire, just a little piece chipped off, it's still hanging on to the tire I can just glue it in.

Attachments

• 20220509_093549.jpg
    20220509_093549.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 1,397
Found this on my tire today, I'm assuming it's from curb while parking at some point.. do you think I can just patch it in with some Rubber Glue or should I be considering changing the tire? It doesn't seem like there is any deeper crack in the tire, just a little piece chipped off, it's still hanging on to the tire I can just glue it in.

Can't really tell how deep that is but....If it is structurally unsound rubber glue isn't going to fix it unless you just want it to look better cosmetically. I'd drive it locally and see if you experience any loss in pressure, blisters or bubbles etc.

But I guess replacing is always the safest bet.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
  • Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot and afadeev
I am the last person you want to ask.
I had a old car with a custom engine, no posi-trac
rear end. I set one new tire on fire doing a burn out
down to the cords. Drove on it for lots of miles.
You can do a Cramer and go till it blows, or replace
it. I do miss the thrill of doing dumb things.
Just showing off.

Reactions: X-pilot
I am the last person you want to ask.
I had a old car with a custom engine, no posi-trac
rear end. I set one new tire on fire doing a burn out
down to the cords. Drove on it for lots of miles.
You can do a Cramer and go till it blows, or replace
it. I do miss the thrill of doing dumb things.
Just showing off.

Actually sounds like your the last person we'd want advice from! 😂

This just happened to me yesterday when I did not take a wide enough turn and the rear wheel caught the curb.
So far there seems no pressure loss on the tire.
I hope the OP would come back and let us know his outcome. Will glueing work? Thanks!

Attachments

• 8A0A9808-0558-4DBD-8CCC-09992EAD1F24.jpeg
    8A0A9808-0558-4DBD-8CCC-09992EAD1F24.jpeg
    500.2 KB · Views: 351
If all you see damaged is rubber, then it may just be superficial. At that area if you're not seeing nylon, kevlar, metal or a bead, and there's no air leakage, then it's probably fine. Of course, you can take it to a tire shop and get their opinion.