Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I book my hotel in advance in Canada or just drive to them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I will be driving through Canada next weekend with my 12 year old son, taking the 401 to Vermont. It seams like Comfort Inn have charging at the hotels on my route. Is there anything I need to know about these hotels before I plan to stay? Like how full the chargers are, how full the rooms are? and so on. Or any other suggested hotels or charging stations along the way. I only have a single charger.

Thanks

I would call each one and verify that you can charge. Perhaps ask them to reserve space next to a plug with a traffic cone.

Also have a backup public charging station planned in case the hotel charging does not work out.

So far all the hotels I have stayed at have provided a 120 V outlet, but some only had power at night when the parking lot lights were on.

Have a good trip,

GSP

Many of the Best Westerns along the 401 have charge stations.

Book ahead - it's tourist season.

Agreed, Best Western has been very progressive when in comes to hosting Level 2 chargers and I have found that they have been willing to reserve a charging spot when you book with them in advance. As a matter of principle I ask all hotels that I am thinking of staying at whether they have high speed electric charging, to let them know that they are losing paying customers because they haven't upgraded their infrastructure. In this regard, we are in a similar position with respect to Level 2 charging at hotels as was the case with high speed Internet 20 years ago. The hotels that didn't have high speed Internet found that they were losing business such that it has become a universal standard. We need to help hotels and motels to understand that electric car charging is the way of the future and help them to get with the program!

I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Windsor, but because I knew I'd absolutely need their station, I called ahead and they said they'd put a cone in the spot for me so it wouldn't get ICE'd. When I got there, the front desk said I was the first person to ever ask, but I knew that wasn't true (found out about it from someone else who stayed there and did the same thing).

we are in a similar position with respect to Level 2 charging at hotels as was the case with high speed Internet 20 years ago. The hotels that didn't have high speed Internet found that they were losing business such that it has become a universal standard.

We need to help hotels and motels to understand that electric car charging is the way of the future and help them to get with the program!

Well put. Make them feel they are or will be losing out and they might as well install plugs sooner as later...

No, never book with Expedia or Priceline, Hotel etc, as you will not get points for your stay as most hotel chains offer these. All you need to do is call up Expedia or whomever, get a quote and then call your hotel where you want to stay and tell them Expedia or whomever has these rates. 9 times out of 10, the hotel will match those rates and you will get full credit.
Believe me, I learned the hard way.
Try it, you will be pleasantly surprised.