Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy a demo model 3 w/300 miles that already had drive unit replaced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short Tesla messed up on the demo car I was going to purchase and accidentally titled it so they can no longer sell it to me as a new vehicle. I’m not in a rush but being it’s March the sooner I take delivery the better obviously. They offered me a car that’s two hours away. 300 miles on it, still sold as new but the rear drive has already been replaced. Should I be hesitant in accepting that vehicle?

Reactions: Jane4
I wouldn't go for it. With 300 miles on it, how can it be considered new. Since you say you're not in a rush, just wait for them to build and
deliver a truly new car. At the very least, if you go for that car they are offering be sure to do a Carfax check on it. Who knows what happened during that 300 miles?

Upvote 0
I wouldn't go for it. With 300 miles on it, how can it be considered new. Since you say you're not in a rush, just wait for them to build and
deliver a truly new car. At the very least, if you go for that car they are offering be sure to do a Carfax check on it. Who knows what happened during that 300 miles?
They aren’t giving much information besides it was a demo car but had the rear drive replaced after 300 miles. I’m not in a rush per se but if I wait who knows what’s happening with the tax credit as well as my trade since I drive almost 100 miles a day. They claim they’re going to honor the trade regardless of miles but I doubt that.

Upvote 0
Personally, I would not buy that demo.

One important thing you should keep in mind: you said Tesla cannot sell you this demo as “new” vehicle. Does this mean it would be classified as a USED vehicle/sale? If so, then you definitely would not qualify for the $7500 tax credit which is only applicable to NEW vehicles…

Upvote 0
Personally, I would not buy that demo.

One important thing you should keep in mind: you said Tesla cannot sell you this demo as “new” vehicle. Does this mean it would be classified as a USED vehicle/sale? If so, then you definitely would not qualify for the $7500 tax credit which is only applicable to NEW vehicles…
This particular one can be sold as new.

The original one I was supposed to take delivery of on Thursday was a demo being sold as new until they realized the title issue and couldn’t sell it as new.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't go for it. With 300 miles on it, how can it be considered new.

New vs used is a titling designation. its entirely possible to get a "titled as new" vehicle that has north of 4k miles on it... and its just as possible to get a "used" vehicle with 10 miles on it.

Either it was sold to an end user (and now its considered used, regardless of miles) or it wasnt (and thus considered new, even if authorized personnel drove it around for errands).

Back to the OP. I personally wouldnt buy that car. If I had taken delivery of the car and Tesla had to fix it, it likely wouldnt pitch a fit over it (but I would be disappointed a new vehicle had to have service, I just would not throw a fit about it). Since you have a choice, I would choose another vehicle if it were me.

Upvote 0
Appreciate your opinion. I should mention they’re offering me $800 off the car with the drive motor in it.
assuming its the color you want with the tires you want I don't see why not.
yes, it had motor replaced...but that also means they have checked it over thoroughly, assuming it's a new motor not a refurb etc... would also nitpick any issues with paint, rims etc. but 800 off and tax credit sounds like a winner to me...would like to know the history though before taking delivery.

Last edited:
Reactions: android04
Upvote 0
There are various legal thresholds for new/used car classifications and "demo" is one of them. When a new car needs significant repairs it can no longer be sold as a "regular" new car but since it's not "pre-owned" they reclassify it as a "demo" which retains the "new" status for warranty, loan, and insurance purposes, but frees them of the MSRP guidance -- if you know what I mean.

Often it's some transport calamity that results in this impromptu "demo" branding and that can be problematic since bodywork is never as good as the factory original, but a drive unit is a simple bolt-in replacement that is not indicative of either past or future problems. It's not at all similar to a fossil car needing an engine or transmission swap and never running the same as a result, Tesla drive units are trivial bolt-in swaps with very little risk or issue.

The drive unit is a simple box with a motor and circuit board that Tesla is aspiring to get a million mile lifespan from, so you may be wondering what terrible disaster could have caused this one to fail within 300 miles. Unfortunately, drive unit failures in the first few thousand miles are not as uncommon as they should be so this really isn't a major red flag.

I say go for it. Likely the only difference between this one and the demo model you were originally going to buy is that you know more about this one's history - and it's cheaper.

Upvote 0
Long story short Tesla messed up on the demo car I was going to purchase and accidentally titled it so they can no longer sell it to me as a new vehicle. I’m not in a rush but being it’s March the sooner I take delivery the better obviously. They offered me a car that’s two hours away. 300 miles on it, still sold as new but the rear drive has already been replaced. Should I be hesitant in accepting that vehicle?
We have a 2020 Model 3 LR and have had no issues. I would wait for another car.

Upvote 0
In addition to the demo discount?

I’d likely pass either way. I’d want a couple thousand knocked off personally. I think my peace of mind is worth more than 8 bills on a car priced in luxury range. JMO.
That is the demo discount. Lame I know. Got another one coming on the 15th (hopefully) according to the SA so we’ll see what happens. Hopefully before anything happens with the tax credit.

Upvote 0