Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy a model 3 if i can’t charge at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to offer my thoughts as an apartment dweller with no home charging...

I picked up a M3 AWD LR on December 18...and I could not be more excited. I HEAVILY lurked these forums trying to determine if it was crazy to purchase an EV with absolutely ZERO access to home charging.

Tl;dr. F#$*&@# buy it!

I drive around 25 miles/day and live about 2 miles from the local supercharger. I have access to L2 charging at work and the gym where i work out 4x a week (or you know, once a week at times)

Is the model 3 a good vehicle for someone like me? It is. I’m absolutely in love with it. I supercharge about 2x a week and L2 charge every other day. Between the two I have experienced ZERO range anxiety. There are about 15 other Tesla owners in my building in the same situation and after casual conversations with most of them - we all agree...we’d make the decision all over again.

Don’t let negative people on this forum scare you away from the thrill that is Tesla ownership. You don’t need a charger at home (unless you’re doing crazy mileage everyday). Buy it, enjoy it...and DONT FREAK OUT about if ‘’supercharging will ruin your battery”...it wont.

I’ve had mine a little over a week and have put 1200 miles on it already. By far the absolute best car I have owned. I’m thrilled to answer any questions you have for those of you in a similar boat. We are a rare breed. But do it! I promise you, there will be no regrets.

Ya. Don’t worry. If you can get access to charging elsewhere. Then it’s fine. I can charge at home but chose not to because Edison rates are through the roof. Cheaper if I charge at work at $1.25 an hour So I choose to only charge at work.

• Funny
Reactions: KerryOH
Go for it. I live in an apartment without the ability to charge at home and have had an EV since 2012 (Roadster) and the Model 3 since July 2019. It takes a little more planning but compared to the early days public chargers are popping up everywhere. You have plenty of options to make it a stress free experience.

Reactions: Dre78
I am basically in the same boat. has been a non-issue. supercharger about 1 mile from my condo, connected to a grocery store. i usually duck by the grocery store twice a week to pick up random stuff. by the time im in and out ive added 150 miles or so. ez pz

Reactions: Dre78
While I appreciate the sentiment, and it can work for some, not having home charging negates one of the biggest benefits of driving these cars, imo. The "shorter range" vs an ICE car (200-250 miles) is offset for people with home charging with the fact that, every day, you have a "full tank" and dont have to go anywhere to do it.

Without home charging (or, to a lesser extent, work charging), one is left doing the same thing they do with an ICE car, which is plan around putting energy into the car. Obviously doable, I am not saying its not. I am also not a person who would want to "rely" on work charging. For the most part, we control where we live (anyone who can afford to buy a new tesla likely has some choice in where they live).

We usually have much less control over the work situation, unless we own the business. One can leave a job for many reasons, and some of those are not by personal choice, so I dont think its a great idea to rely on charging at work.. especially as, the more EVs are adopted, the more difficult that will be (see crowded superchargers in CA for what happens when the supply of charging doesnt keep up with demand).

Anyway, I am certainly not trying to rain on anyones parade, and I will say again, that this can work for some who are determined... but It wouldnt be something I would personally advise to someone if they asked me (and they have).

My answer was "oh owning a full EV is absolutely possible when you live in an apartment with no home charging, but unless you are determined, or buying for reasons other than convenience, I wouldnt recommend it in that situation.

Reactions: KJD and PhaseWhite
Wanted to offer my thoughts as an apartment dweller with no home charging...

I picked up a M3 AWD LR on December 18...and I could not be more excited. I HEAVILY lurked these forums trying to determine if it was crazy to purchase an EV with absolutely ZERO access to home charging.

Tl;dr. F#$*&@# buy it!

I drive around 25 miles/day and live about 2 miles from the local supercharger. I have access to L2 charging at work and the gym where i work out 4x a week (or you know, once a week at times)

Is the model 3 a good vehicle for someone like me? It is. I’m absolutely in love with it. I supercharge about 2x a week and L2 charge every other day. Between the two I have experienced ZERO range anxiety. There are about 15 other Tesla owners in my building in the same situation and after casual conversations with most of them - we all agree...we’d make the decision all over again.

Don’t let negative people on this forum scare you away from the thrill that is Tesla ownership. You don’t need a charger at home (unless you’re doing crazy mileage everyday). Buy it, enjoy it...and DONT FREAK OUT about if ‘’supercharging will ruin your battery”...it wont.

I’ve had mine a little over a week and have put 1200 miles on it already. By far the absolute best car I have owned. I’m thrilled to answer any questions you have for those of you in a similar boat. We are a rare breed. But do it! I promise you, there will be no regrets.

Congrats, but if you drive only 25 miles a day how did you manage to put 1200 miles on it in just over a week? Trip? If you only drive 25 miles a day you really could just charge once a week.

OK, Columbo...

He did the math! lol....

In all seriousness to OP.

I live in a condo, also don't have access to home charging, and also don't have access to charging at work (yet, though it's soon coming). I commute about 15 miles to work and back daily, and only use the Supercharger (about 4 miles away) when I get low. It's been absolutely fine, and I wouldn't let that deter you from picking up the car.

The only downside, is I have been invited out to an event, but had to run to the supercharger first to get some juice so I could make the trip as my car isn't plugged in on the daily. That's about the only negative drawback I've had thus far. (Which, admittedly, can be a big one, depending). If you have access to charge at work / gym. Personally for me, it would be a no brainer.

Home charging is a huge benefit for me. My cost to supercharge is 3X my cost to home charge. I’ve been to a. Supercharger once in 9 months. I would have to think really carefully if I didn’t have access to home charging if a Model 3 is the right car for me. I do have a friend that only supercharges and still loves the car, so I know it can be done.

Home charging is a huge benefit for me. My cost to supercharge is 3X my cost to home charge. I’ve been to a. Supercharger once in 9 months. I would have to think really carefully if I didn’t have access to home charging if a Model 3 is the right car for me. I do have a friend that only supercharges and still loves the car, so I know it can be done.

To counter this argument, I'll also add that Supercharging only, is still 1/6 the price in gasoline I was paying prior to the model 3. (Naturally home charging would be swell. I'm only suggesting that it shouldn't deter you with the distances and abilities that you have to charge)

To counter this argument, I'll also add that Supercharging only, is still 1/6 the price in gasoline I was paying prior to the model 3. (Naturally home charging would be swell. I'm only suggesting that it shouldn't deter you with the distances and abilities that you have to charge)

I get that, but my time is too valuable to me to want to sit around at a supercharger. I would pay more for gas but it’s five minutes to fill up. So it’s a trade off of time vs money. Everyone has to make their own evaluation of which is more important. When I was younger the money mattered more. Now not so much.

I have 10,000 free bonus miles that expire next year and I’ve still only used a supercharger once. The nearest one is five miles from me and it’s always crowded. I just can’t be bothered.

I get that, but my time is too valuable to me to want to sit around at a supercharger. I would pay more for gas but it’s five minutes to fill up. So it’s a trade off of time vs money. Everyone has to make their own evaluation of which is more important. When I was younger the money mattered more. Now not so much.

I have 10,000 free bonus miles that expire next year and I’ve still only used a supercharger once. The nearest one is five miles from me and it’s always crowded. I just can’t be bothered.

That's a fair point, but situational to you. We're also talking about 30 minutes every two weeks in his case, we're not talking about sacrificing his gym time every day here. Just an episode of the office twice a month. I get your point, but if you watch any sitcom on TV in the course of the month, are you really eating that much into your valuable time? Fair argument I think.

• Love
Reactions: Gogamecox2010
That's a fair point, but situational to you. We're also talking about 30 minutes every two weeks in his case, we're not talking about sacrificing his gym time every day here. Just an episode of the office twice a month. I get your point, but if you watch any sitcom on TV in the course of the month, are you really eating that much into your valuable time? Fair argument I think.

For someone who drives a limited number of miles 30 minutes every two weeks might be possible. But since the OP was making a general statement recommending Teslas to people without home charging, I’m talking more broadly to the overall audience of potential Model 3 buyers. For someone driving an average of 12,000 miles per year they are going to be supercharging quite frequently, at least twice a week. Even more so if they buy an SR+.

I get that, but my time is too valuable to me to want to sit around at a supercharger. I would pay more for gas but it’s five minutes to fill up.

a choice people make. Clearly having an EV and charging at home is the pinnacle of convenience as we Tesla owners know. The exam question here is what’s the comparison of ICE vs EV for those who cannot charge at home. I suspect the time is a minor factor for most. Most of us have emails to process, or other “work” to do on our devices, so 30 minutes is not wasted. To me, it’s a more pleasant 30 minutes than the 5 minutes at the gas station. I suspect it comes down to availability and proximity of charging. If you can do most without big change to routine, it’s a no brainer. If you have to jump through hoops, then it comes down to how much you prefer the EV driving experience.

Reactions: jboy210
For someone who drives a limited number of miles 30 minutes every two weeks might be possible. But since the OP was making a general statement recommending Teslas to people without home charging, I’m talking more broadly to the overall audience of potential Model 3 buyers. For someone driving an average of 12,000 miles per year they are going to be supercharging quite frequently, at least twice a week. Even more so if they buy an SR+.

Also valid, but you're leaving off the fact he has access to charging both at the office and at the gym. If I'm assuming he can plug in to his office / gym daily (often with better parking scenarios than ICE vehicles) then his supercharger time would be even less cumbersome than the initial two week estimate. I just didn't want the notion of not having at home charging being a deterrent for owning one of the most exciting vehicles on the road. Not arguing against at home charging obviously, but stating that I do it on the regular (strickly in the scenario he is explaining) , and I absolutely would have made the same choice again.

Also valid, but you're leaving off the fact he has access to charging both at the office and at the gym. If I'm assuming he can plug in to his office / gym daily (often with better parking scenarios than ICE vehicles) than his supercharger time would be even more cumbersome than the initial two week estimate. I just didn't want the notion of not having at home charging being a deterrent for owning one of the most exciting vehicles on the road. Not arguing against at home charging obviously, but stating that I do it on the regular (strickly in the scenario he is explaining) , and I absolutely would have made the same choice again.

No doubt the Tesla driving experience is amazing and way beyond anything I’ve experienced with an ICE vehicle. I’m not saying I definitely would not buy a Tesla without home charging. But I would need to contemplate it more carefully. Fortunately I never had to worry about this. For those who do, there are many variables involved. If supercharging or work charging is convenient it can work. If you drive a lot of miles to commute and would need to supercharge several days a week, it’s just a matter of how convenient that would be for you given your lifestyle and daily routine.

I know people that have gotten by fine with no home charging for years. It does take some planning on their part, but they seem to manage just fine. Some have options like charging at work. Others make a point of using public chargers at malls and grocery store where are very common by me.

And apartment management seems to be handling this also, and making extra money. Some complexes charge extra for a parking spot with a charger.

apartment management seems to be handling this also

I was just going to say to the OP that if there were 15 Teslas in your building, maybe the apartment complex would consider adding a charger or two in a convenient EV only parking area. I have to believe that EV charging will be on the minds of developers planning new construction.

I spent a month with charging at home via 120v and it was harder than I thought, but then I was driving 120 miles per day. I didn't have an L2 charger at work either, so I would plan to charge at the gym or at a restaurant or a local hotel with Tesla chargers to supplement a supercharge when needed. Now I have an L2 charger at home and work and it makes all the difference for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
Sounds like OP has his situation all figured out, and it works for him.

With charging at work and a Supercharger nearby, he can simply use the Supercharger when necessary. Good time to check your emails, use the bathroom, get a cup of coffee, phone a friend etc. EZ Peasy.

I really used to hate being hustled by street beggars when stoping at gas stations. They always had some sob story about why they needed the money. Would work the station until the attendent had enough and shoo'd them away. The gas stations were smelly, and the pump handles full of germs and gasoline smells. Restrooms were filthy, the items in the mini-market unhealthy and overpriced.

Once you get in a charging routine, the thought of ever using a gas station again becomes repulsive.

Reactions: jboy210