Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy a Model 3 or wait for the new vehicles with the new battery technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I highly doubt that any "new" battery tech will make it into the current line up. Maybe when Tesla refreshes the Model S and X those may see some new battery tech. The CyberTruck and Roadster might see something new but again with the deadline for release coming up soon new tech would need to lined up right now to get them into those cars.

Reactions: JPInnovative
So should I buy a new model 3 or wait for the new battery technology to come out ?

I was in your position, Just got the car on the 24th of last month and absolutely not regretting it.

This is coming from someone thats driven a 2000 4 Runner and a 1999 Benz (all parents, cars) for the most part since I was traveling for work and living in NYC for the past 6 years (back in LA and got a car).

Driving a car thats less than 10 years younger than me definitely wasn't fun. AC, stereo, and anything that moves started breaking on a car that only got driven couple months a year when I came back to LA. For the past 5 years I've spent on the car could've been my down payment for my model 3.

Thats my case, but man going from those cars to a Tesla felt like I skipped a couple generation of cars.

Reactions: JPInnovative
So should I buy a new model 3 or wait for the new battery technology to come out ?

Tesla cars have reached the point (300+ miles range, plus supercharger) where they can handle a long daily commute without charging, and can go to any major city or suburb in the U.S.

It is similar to a technology like the computer and the smartphone where people used to upgrade, but not they are satisfied with what they have and don't need a "faster" computer. If you want a "faster" car then you can buy the P3D.

You will get a cheaper car by waiting, not sure how much cheaper, but you don't get back the time. Then if the new batteries are announced in Sept. but don't come for another year, you will be waiting a while.

If the decision to wait until the new rumored technology comes out...you will be waiting forever.

Current cars are great and well priced. Something better is always just around the corner, but can only drive what is being delivered at the time.

People have been asking the "should I wait" question since the first Tesla came out.

Waiting for the better car will mean never getting a car.

Tesla cars have reached the point (300+ miles range, plus supercharger) where they can handle a long daily commute without charging, and can go to any major city or suburb in the U.S.

It is similar to a technology like the computer and the smartphone where people used to upgrade, but not they are satisfied with what they have and don't need a "faster" computer. If you want a "faster" car then you can buy the P3D.

You will get a cheaper car by waiting, not sure how much cheaper, but you don't get back the time. Then if the new batteries are announced in Sept. but don't come for another year, you will be waiting a while.

true. I agree. I think I’m gonna go with the P3D then

From what we know the only new car coming this year is the Plaid S

Current Model 3 tech is great for many many years to come. I'll be sticking with my SR+ for a few more years

I'd get a 3 ASAP. The most fun car on our planet currently. Lots of people selling them for Y's right now too. Could snag a nice deal on a P3D

I'm going forward. The current model 3 has the range I need, and a price I can afford. And if in 7-10 years or whenever the day I need a new battery arrives and I find out there is a much cheaper replacement one available... Hooray for me! Musk says a new battery is in the 5-7k range for me cost-wise. If I can save $2500-3500 in 7 years on that, sweet.

Battery day in September will have some really cool news. Just like Autonomy Day last year promised 1 million robo-taxi's by the end of 2020 on the road (4 months with just 1 million left to go, and a bit behind the other 2017 promise). My guess is we won't see the roadster deliveries this year either.

No offense to Tesla and Musk so please don't take it this way but when it comes to many things, such as the performance of the vehicle, he understates and over-delivers. When it comes to producing and manufacturing a product on time.... well there's a little learning curve there.

In the end it's technology. The next iteration of your phone is only a year away... Every single year. The next iteration of your laptop is only a year away... every single year. You can wait for the cool camera, but then you are just a year away from the wireless charging, but then only a year till you get the facial recognition to unlock it.

That happens with cars too. A LOT. Oooh next year they are getting a new motor with X more HP, or next year they are giving it a new safety suite with adaptive cruise, or next years model is getting this redesign... In the end, Tesla covers for a lot of that with it's over the air updates, but they will always have a cool new feature just around the corner to get you to trade in and buy new. You don't have to buy the new model to get sentry mode for example. It's part of what sold me, a buddy said he doesn't feel left behind like his phone even though he got one of the first model 3's a couple years ago.

Also... sure, in 2024 I might be able to get a model 3 with a longer lasting pack and save $4000 on the price. But what will the FSD cost be at that point? Or will they be putting it into a true mass market low budget hatch and the Cybertruck, and not be integrating it into the Model 3 until a 2026 refresh?

Just my 2 cents.

It’s a new car that inherently depreciates as soon as you buy it- waiting as long as you can is always the financially prudent thing to do. Regardless of brand, you’re able to get today’s tech at a lower price in the future.

I don’t expect the M3 to be directly impacted on battery day, but each quarter that passes is ripe for improving the value of tech that generally was developed years ago. Production costs and in theory production quality should improve as you wait.

Personally, we’re waiting until there’s more details on what they’re planning to do with the S/X. It’s clear the 3/Y will always lack cabin features imo, but their initial upmarket offerings may get better options

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bxr140
When you consider a Tesla is more a piece of Tech than a car I would say buy now. Not to say you won’t regret it but it’s always the way with technology. You can hold off buying a new TV for as long as you like but, as soon as you take the plunge, a newer, better, more useful technology will come out. The difference being, where that will make your current TV obsolete, you current Tesla will still have a strong retail value should you want to sell it and get today’s latest tech

• Disagree
Reactions: BlindPass