Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy a new SR+ or a used Mid range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The market is crazy right now with how used model 3s are more expensive than new ones. I see why. The the shortage of microchips is causing delays on new orders between 7 -14 weeks. Might as well spend a couple thousand more on used and not have to wait!

If I had a Crystal ball, I'd expect these prices to keep on increasing. I need to buy a tesla now before it's too late! Used or new though?

I am considering buying either a new SR+ (and waiting several months for delivery) or buying a low millage 2018 Mid range and not having to hassle with the wait time. My question is about the differences between to two because the information I am finding online is conflicting. Are these two cars pretty much the same? Which one has more HP and torque and does autopilot come standard on both? Even if it's fractions of a second which has a faster 0 to 60 time? Is there any minor differences between the two? Can you disable traction control on either trim lol?

Is the delivery wait really this long? Can I expect it to arrive within 2 months on the shorter end?

I know these are a lot of questions

Thanks all for the help!

I would highly suggest waiting the few weeks in exchange for saving a few grand AND getting a whole brand new car.

Buying used, you don't know how the previous owner took care of it. You're driving someone else's vehicle.

The '21 refresh was amazing.
  • Heat pump now included (more efficient heating, can save you range)
  • Dual-pane window glass (supposed to help with road noise apparently)
  • Chrome delete (no more chrome along with the trim/door handles)
  • Upgraded center console, no more piano black surface that scratches and attracts fingerprints
  • Dual wireless charging pads under the center screen
  • Power trunk
  • Many more, can't list them all here of course...
All of those to me are quality-of-life updates that I personally benefit from. It's up to you if you see value in those. I personally would not pay more for an older used car that has less features and offers less range.

A 2021 SR+ has all the advantages/improvements over a 2018 except the Mid Range has the premium sound system while the SR+ does not.

But, you can get the Hansshow SR+ speaker activation upgrade for about $70 and it will sound basically the same minus a subwoofer or spend a little more and upgrade the system entirely.

Regarding 0-60, you probably won't feel a difference back to back but the SR+ is a little lighter and has received two 5% power increase updates since 2019. Not sure if Mid Range has received the same. I drove a Mid Range before I decided on getting an SR+ and was happy with the power.

So I'd go for the new SR+. The build quality is much improved in the new models. Tesla really has been refining them every build. The latest Tesla's are the greatest Tesla's so order new! You'll enjoy it more than the 2018 most definitely

Last edited: