Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy a SR 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings ~

I sold my 2018 LR RWD M3 with 29k+ miles and in need of tires several months ago, replacing it with a 2019 Audi A4 Prestige with all the toys and 27k miles, full warranty and 2 years prepaid service/etc. At the time I traded the Tesla to a dealer, and bought the Audi from the same dealer. I got $3300 cash back on the trade including all fees/taxes. I traded because I was growing tired of the road noise, lessened battery range and some other things, and the Audi provided a more comfortable and quieter package.

It’s been a few months since then, and my wife swapped her ride for a 2021 BMW 330E plug in hybrid. It’s a very nice car, more refined than Tesla, but nowhere near as efficient. Nevertheless it raises some questions. My wife’s car will be the hybrid ICE we use when we need to take a longer trip, but as a second car the updated SR M3 may be a good way to return to EV driving. I was hoping for the CT, but that looks delayed. The SR range is greater than when it first came out, and rarely do I drive more than 200 miles/day. Even then there are plenty of Tesla chargers on my normal routes.

What I’d like to know is what am I giving up with the SR car? I read the supercharger times are longer on SR cars - if that’s so, how much of a difference is it? Any other significant things to consider? How about wait time for delivery - I assume loaded M3s are first, lower margin cars last. A 14 week wait would be a problem - 8 weeks is fine. How about road noise/fit and finish/etc?

Your thoughts and experience are welcome. Thanks in advance for the help.

The road noise is still pretty loud for the 2021 SR+, you will still lose 5-10% battery range, and you will have to deal with some rattles and finish issues. If you still aren't willing to deal with all of that I'd wait for the Cybertruck. I waited 6 weeks for mine back in March/April. But like the website says, your configuration and location will determine your wait time. I picked my car up in the middle of the 2nd quarter (May 1st) so I don't think your assumption of loaded cars first can be generally applied.

I personally dont think much has changed in the model 3, between the times you started a thread saying your wife did not like driving your car, to asking about trading it in on a 2021 model 3, to ultimately posting about buying the audi.

My answer to your thread title is "No, I dont think you should, because there is not much difference between the vehicles now, and when you made your previous posts detailing the things you didnt like". That stuff hasnt really changed.

Edit : I should also add, that I am not linking those posts above in an attempt to be mean or something. I linked them there as you shared a lot of reasons for why you were contemplating either selling the car you had or upgrading, and they are relevant as far as what your current questions are.

Last edited:
Greetings ~

I sold my 2018 LR RWD M3 with 29k+ miles and in need of tires several months ago, replacing it with a 2019 Audi A4 Prestige with all the toys and 27k miles, full warranty and 2 years prepaid service/etc. At the time I traded the Tesla to a dealer, and bought the Audi from the same dealer. I got $3300 cash back on the trade including all fees/taxes. I traded because I was growing tired of the road noise, lessened battery range and some other things, and the Audi provided a more comfortable and quieter package.

It’s been a few months since then, and my wife swapped her ride for a 2021 BMW 330E plug in hybrid. It’s a very nice car, more refined than Tesla, but nowhere near as efficient. Nevertheless it raises some questions. My wife’s car will be the hybrid ICE we use when we need to take a longer trip, but as a second car the updated SR M3 may be a good way to return to EV driving. I was hoping for the CT, but that looks delayed. The SR range is greater than when it first came out, and rarely do I drive more than 200 miles/day. Even then there are plenty of Tesla chargers on my normal routes.

What I’d like to know is what am I giving up with the SR car? I read the supercharger times are longer on SR cars - if that’s so, how much of a difference is it? Any other significant things to consider? How about wait time for delivery - I assume loaded M3s are first, lower margin cars last. A 14 week wait would be a problem - 8 weeks is fine. How about road noise/fit and finish/etc?

Your thoughts and experience are welcome. Thanks in advance for the help.
The 2021's have double pain windows so are better for road noise. If you live close to a service center I would arrange a test drive and see if the road noise bothers you. I test drove the performance and found it much quieter then my 2017 model S. My guess is it is the tires I have on my model S. Tesla's go through tires quick so if that bothered you before it will bother you now. They are heavy cars with lots of torque.

As far as what you give up with the SR+. The all wheel drive could be big if you live in a area with snow. SR+ is rear drive. Also you don't get the premium sound. You give up the rear heated seats and heated steering wheel. Seats can be purchased after and rumor is the steering wheel also will be. The SR+ has a max charging rate of 170kw the LR is 250kw. Not sure how much time that amounts to.

You'd be getting an sr+ as sr is no longer produced.
I think a new order will not make q3 deliveries. End of q3 produced cars will go west coast. You're probably are looking at middle of the delivery range at best.

Thanks for the posts. I live in a city that has a Tesla service center housed here, in the SE USA with mild winters and no pressing need for AWD, heated seats. The downgraded stereo may be an issue, I've been spoiled by being able to call up almost any song on the 2018 M3. If the speakers are less powerful I can live with that, but I'd like the ability to get the wide range of stations with the $10/month service. 170kw charging should be fine for my intended use, a second car intended for <200 mile daily drives at most. Believe it or not my 29K mile M3 was still on original 19" tires. They were well worn, but they got me very good mileage.

Thanks for the posts. I live in a city that has a Tesla service center housed here, in the SE USA with mild winters and no pressing need for AWD, heated seats. The downgraded stereo may be an issue, I've been spoiled by being able to call up almost any song on the 2018 M3. If the speakers are less powerful I can live with that, but I'd like the ability to get the wide range of stations with the $10/month service. 170kw charging should be fine for my intended use, a second car intended for <200 mile daily drives at most. Believe it or not my 29K mile M3 was still on original 19" tires. They were well worn, but they got me very good mileage.
I would take a 2021 for a test drive and see if it is the car for you. You lose some speakers and the sub with the standard stereo. Has the same interface and channels as the premium stereo. You have to pay the $10 for the premium package after 30 days with the SR+ (1 year on the LR). You can also run the streaming channels over your phone's hotspot if your phone has that. SR+ is a bit slower also if that matters to you 5.2sec 0-60 vs 4.2. It is more efficient though with only one motor.

I've noticed road noise gets louder as tires age. Tire brand also has a lot to do with noise - my Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires got ridiculously loud about half way through their tread life. Perhaps a simple tire replacement would have kept you in your original Model 3 and out of the Audi.

The Model 3 SR+ is a great value, in my opinion. If you have home charging and your daily commute is less than 150 miles summer or 120 miles winter, I'd jump on it, especially since you have Superchargers along your common routes.

Reactions: THXULTRA
I have a 40Amp Clipper Creek charger, J1722 plug, left over from my Nissan Leaf and two BMW i3s. Worked fine on the M3 LR, should be just as good on the SR+, especially so since that car is optimized for a 40amp max charge circuit. My son is 100 miles away, daughter 150, rest of family near 200. That gives me the option of a longer charge on the SR+, but doable, or taking my wife's ICE plug in. Either way, lots of flexibility. I would have tried a base MY, but the pricing got a bit extended. The CT seems like a 2-3 year project, too long to wait.

Reactions: Big Earl
JJ - no offense taken on your posts. I find your comments helpful - thanks. Clearly I'm struggling with the Tesla decision, and continue to do so. My wife is happy with her car, and truth be told there is absolutely nothing wrong with the A4, but there is no passion there either. So the ping-ponging back and forth continues. Thanks for reminding me. The answer isn't likely the Tesla forum, it's more likely a long talk with someone while I'm lying on my back remembering my childhood (;->)

The only advantage of purchasing a SR+ today is that it will come with version 3.0 computer and you will be able to subscribe to FSD. Other then that, the price is still great and the added range is also great. I was thinking of selling this 2019 SR+ to get the new one with 3.0 FSD computer.

It will cost me 1600.00 to upgrade to version 3.0 computer and for this SR+ It’s not worth it.

Fred

JJ - no offense taken on your posts. I find your comments helpful - thanks. Clearly I'm struggling with the Tesla decision, and continue to do so. My wife is happy with her car, and truth be told there is absolutely nothing wrong with the A4, but there is no passion there either. So the ping-ponging back and forth continues. Thanks for reminding me. The answer isn't likely the Tesla forum, it's more likely a long talk with someone while I'm lying on my back remembering my childhood (;->)
ROFL! (at the comment about the long talk with someone while laying on your back remembering your childhood.. hehe)

Well,

There is nothing (and I mean nothing) at all wrong with the Audi (or any other ICE) from my perspective. I am not an environmentalist, or anything like that. I think they are great cars. I also think teslas are great cars, but for completely different reasons than your current audi is a great car.

I LOVE my model 3 performance, for what it is, and can forgive what it "isnt" because I love the stuff it IS more than the stuff it isnt, bothers me.

It IS a great driving car, for me, that still puts a grin on my face whenever I go out to drive it. I actually drive slower in it than I did in my various BMWs, because, for some strange reason, KNOWING I can beat just about anyone in "stoplight hero" makes me do that stuff less. Not zero, but "hardly ever".

I love the tech, and updates and the fact that there is not a huge difference, software wise, between my 2018 and model 3s sold now.

I like the ride of the stock suspension. Its not "great" but its not poor either, for me. I know I can change it if I want to, but no desire yet to do so.

I forgive the somewhat thin paint, and wind noise, and the lack of a HUD, and the very spartan interior, because the car is so fun to drive.

For me, and my model 3, battery degradation has been very minimal. I have 27k miles (ish) and I plug my car in every time it hits my garage, and charge to 90%. Right now, I charge to 90% then move the slider down to like 75% because I work mostly from home and my car sits for days without driving, and I dont want it pinging back and forth between 87% and 90. I always charge to 90, though. I still show 263-264 as a 90% range.

The effective range would be around 220 or so, driven at freeway speeds out here, but thats still fine for me.

The reason I was saying "No I dont think you should get a SR+" is not because I think there is anything wrong with them at all. It was more along the lines that "you already had a model 3, and decided against keeping it after spending a lot of time in thought, and getting a lot of feedback... and its the same basic car".

What I am hearing now is, even though some stuff annoyed you, its "calling you back" even though you have a perfectly serviceable audi you basically just got. If you think you can live with the "dont like it" stuff, then sure, go for it. Something is pulling you toward the model 3 again, lol.

Just, dont try to tell yourself its because the new cars are markedly quieter, or because the degradation issue is different, or because the build quality is noticeably better or something. Be prepared to live with the fact that its the same basic car, but you liked that one more than you thought.

Thats the longer version of my opinion anyway.

Reactions: Quamera and GeoG
JJ - thanks for the session on the couch. Where do I send the check for your services?

I‘ve owned lots of cars from top lines sports toys to econoboxes. if I had the money I lost in depreciation I’d buy a pretty nice waterfront home. The issue is my ”hourglass”.. I’m a senior citizen, and the sand is running through my hourglass at what seems to be an accelerating pace. So, each car I buy has to be closer to the mythical perfect car because arthritis, cataracts, failing hearing and other joys of senior citizenship are now part of my everyday world.

The M3 was different. it was a new experience - instant torque at any speed, no shifting to get into the power band, unbelievably low operating cost, and fun to drive. If I were half my age I’d be done. But, I’m old. So I’m cranky (get off my lawn), and things that never bothered me in a Porsche, like road noise, drive me crazy now. Admittedly it’s not a long ride to crazy, but it’s there. Give me LED headlights, a quiet cabin, great stereo, comfortable seats easy in/out and I’m good. And that’s why the M3 didn’t quite work. It’s designed by kids who never saw a real record, changed a TV tube, or power shifted a big block muscle car when it was brand new. They know nothing of tuning a carb, drum brakes and riding on bias belt tires in the rain. They can’t build my memories, and they can’t even sign their name in script with a fountain pen. If they have no electricity they roam aimlessly, not sure if they actually have to talk instead of text. That doesn’t make them bad, but it means design priorities are different. There is nothing more enjoyable than manually shifting a Ferrari sports car through that metal gate - and even Ferrari doesn’t make a manual any longer.

The S is the luxury car, but I’m vertically challenged, so the seating position doesn’t work. Price is a concern, but at this point it just cuts the kids inheritance - not my problem. Its not price it’s perspective that makes the S hard for me to love - pseudo luxury designed by a person with no understanding of what cars meant to people 50 years ago.

I guess the answer is a mismatch. The Tesla EV drivetrain is a winner, as is the tech and running costs. The luxury factor and ride quality isn’t a Tesla priority, and until that changes I’m reaching for something that doesn’t exist. So, maybe I’ll do nothing, convince myself that the A4 really is a baby Bentley and go yell at the neighbors again. If that doesn’t work I’ll just put on an oldies station and wear my Grateful Dead T-shirt, and wave my Zippo lighter to the music.

Thanks to all for the therapy - I feel better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eugene Ash
I’m gonna reach out on a limb here and suggest that if you want refinement and build quality and can’t stand road noise and don’t like the seat height of the S you’ll be happier with something like a Mercedes EQS or a Polestar 2. All the joy of electric, all the refinement that the elderly would appreciate, though no tesla supercharger (yet!) and no dog mode (yet), so while those are both deal breakers for me you sound like you’re ready to take the leap to something comfortable. I read somewhere the EQS can even massage the driver and all of the passengers which is a nice touch if somewhat excessive. I drove a Polestar and it was lovely and punchy but I can’t get over MIC tbh. The EQS may not be available for a long while in Canada and it’s likely gonna be a little too refined for my reckless ways.

Thus I decided to wait for the M3 which, as others point out, probably still has the features you hate about it. Sounds like the Model 3 is, to you, the gal who got away: the thought of her might stir some feelings inside your chest but deep down you know that she‘s the same gal you left and frankly running back to her may be bad for both of you, at least until your therapy is done. 🤷🏻‍♂️ For now, she’s mine, she’s noisy, and fun, and a huge upgrade from my previous ride…. Oh on a side note re ride height: Have you considered a Model X at all? I’ve never ridden one but if you have I’d be curious to see if that addresses your concerns.

I’m gonna reach out on a limb here and suggest that if you want refinement and build quality and can’t stand road noise and don’t like the seat height of the S you’ll be happier with something like a Mercedes EQS or a Polestar 2. All the joy of electric, all the refinement that the elderly would appreciate, though no tesla supercharger (yet!) and no dog mode (yet), so while those are both deal breakers for me you sound like you’re ready to take the leap to something comfortable. I read somewhere the EQS can even massage the driver and all of the passengers which is a nice touch if somewhat excessive. I drove a Polestar and it was lovely and punchy but I can’t get over MIC tbh. The EQS may not be available for a long while in Canada and it’s likely gonna be a little too refined for my reckless ways.

Thus I decided to wait for the M3 which, as others point out, probably still has the features you hate about it. Sounds like the Model 3 is, to you, the gal who got away: the thought of her might stir some feelings inside your chest but deep down you know that she‘s the same gal you left and frankly running back to her may be bad for both of you, at least until your therapy is done. 🤷🏻‍♂️ For now, she’s mine, she’s noisy, and fun, and a huge upgrade from my previous ride…. Oh on a side note re ride height: Have you considered a Model X at all? I’ve never ridden one but if you have I’d be curious to see if that addresses your concerns.
A Mercedes EQS isn't even close to the same price point as a SR Model 3 though. The EQS is a electric S class closer in price range to a model S.

I LOVE my model 3 performance, for what it is, and can forgive what it "isnt" because I love the stuff it IS more than the stuff it isnt, bothers me.
Exactly.

The interior is spartan. Seriously spartan. Sure, I'd like a nicer interior, but I'd also like to be rich and good looking, so yeah.

But in spite of all the "I wish the car had x on it" things I could nit pick it about, the same can be said for *any* car; there is not one car on the market that I could buy and not find *something* about it that I wish was different.

But to me, my Model 3 (stealth) Performance ticks more boxes than anything else out there... at least, until next spring, when we get our Plaid. I'm sure that thing is gonna tick boxes that I never realized were even there.

Reactions: Big Earl