Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy a tesla model s 2016 75d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should I buy this tesla? I wonder if it has the mcu2 and full self driving or if it can even be added to the car. I have been looking around the internet but can't seem to find any information on these questions.

Also it says the car has 127k km so about 80k miles, should I be concerned about the battery life or any electronics?

Tesla Model S 75D 2016 (0000003419) usagé à vendre à $56,995
This appears to be an AP1 car as it does not have a camera on the B pillar. Which means it has MCU1 just because of the fact that it is an AP1 car. No FSD for this car. You can add FSD, but it won't be that great because it is an AP1 car with MCU1.

The car still has the OEM warranty on the battery and drive units for 8 years or 160k km.

You can add FSD, but it won't be that great

Unfortunately you CAN'T purchase FSD for that specific Model S @Mikemouss. Only Tesla's with AP 2.0 and 2.5 can be upgraded to the FSD computer.

On the other hand, you CAN upgrade to MCU2, but you won't get Dashcam or Sentry recording to USB, nor the side repeaters image when backing up, as the car doesn't even have the side repeater cameras. :(

Last edited:
I bought a 2016 Model S 75 with about 17k miles in November of 2018 directly from Tesla. MCU1, AP1 car with free supercharging for life. I'm still very happy with the car.

MCU1 has been having issues lately, but I still have 2 more years of bumper to bumper warranty. I'm expecting the MCU to fail before the end of the warranty and I do expect Tesla to replace it under the warranty, with another MCU1 or with the MCU2

Is the free lifetime supercharger worth it?

Not really.

I have a 2015 with FUSC. I supercharged about 1 time last 12 months (and that was just to test it). Why? - partly because I can only get 50 kw. Now I have a 70 which used to peak at 104. I have supercharged very little in the cars lifetime. Never to anything over 80%. Probably 5 times a year.

But Tesla has throttled many (if not all) older cars with the speed of supercharging - to varying degrees.

At 50 kw, I take another car on trips outside its range. It is true that the other car is a Model 3 - peaks at 140 kw - and is more efficient so the miles gained is even faster than the kw difference. Also, the Model 3 has 310 mile range and the S is down to 216 (although I just went down to 18 from 216 so a full charge might get me higher).

We take the 3 even though we pay for supercharging. Typically it is like a $1 or $2 as we just need a bump. We rarely go over 400 miles. The 3 has been our roadtrip car (over 150 miles) for 18 months and 18k miles and I suspect our total supercharging cost is under $30.

Just know what you are getting with an older Tesla. Fantastic car otherwise - but I might spring for newer if you could.

Probably if you need to ask FUSC is just a bonus. Surprised how little I supercharge. I think premium connectivity is more important in the long run. You will use that and will save you $$$ every month if it's included.

Is the free lifetime supercharger worth it?

It has been definitely worth it to me. I have been supercharging at least once a week.

I have been to Orlando several times (about 200 miles away) and to Savannah once, for sure worth for trips.

I don't charge the S and X very much at home. Since I don't have supercharging on the 3 I all charge it at home.