Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...and thought I would never buy another car. Tesla completely ruined that for me... If I were you, I would wait for VW Group to release a reliable EV in your market without any of Tesla's bullsh**t. My client just bought an e-Tron and said it completely blows every Tesla out of the water. If you want performance with a Kia build quality, and from a company that will take away over time what it sold to you, then Tesla is your brand. If you want any level of comfort in your car, from a company that values the ownership experience, go with anyone but Tesla.
I recently traded my 85D for a gas Lexus. I too used to think I'd never go back to gas car. Tesla the company drove me away from the company. The cars are pretty fun I'll give them that. But man there are too many compromises.

OP, you should not buy an old Model S. The seed of doubt has been planted and you will find a way to dislike the car. Either get a brand new Tesla or don’t bother. If that’s out of your price range, so be it.

You need to drive one and make up your on mind.

I think that the Model 3 is more reliable. Try the Raven S and Dual Motor 3 before you jump on an older S. If you do consider an older S be aware of the common and inevitable MCU brick issue. Another thing to consider is coil or air suspension on the P85D. I wouldn't worry too much about the 'charge-gate' thing. You can read the battery pack information behind the RH front passenger wheel before you buy. My car has the "B" pack which is limited to a max charging rate of 120kW. "D" is 150kW. 100% stage of charge reads 402km today.

Love my P85 but sometimes I wish I got a 3 or 85D. Dual-motor Cybertruck is growing on me and I am excited to test drive next year. Lots of space in the S over the 3! I removed the bench backrest and child jumpseats to increase space even more. Camping is amazing in any Tesla btw. I think you will enjoy the transition.

I think that the Model 3 is more reliable. Try the Raven S and Dual Motor 3 before you jump on an older S. If you do consider an older S be aware of the common and inevitable MCU brick issue. Another thing to consider is coil or air suspension on the P85D. I wouldn't worry too much about the 'charge-gate' thing. You can read the battery pack information behind the RH front passenger wheel before you buy. My car has the "B" pack which is limited to a max charging rate of 120kW. "D" is 150kW. 100% stage of charge reads 402km today.

Love my P85 but sometimes I wish I got a 3 or 85D. Dual-motor Cybertruck is growing on me and I am excited to test drive next year. Lots of space in the S over the 3! I removed the bench backrest and child jumpseats to increase space even more. Camping is amazing in any Tesla btw. I think you will enjoy the transition.

And the MCU 1 “brick” issue can be resolved by replacing the EMMC chip. There are several threads about that.

And the MCU 1 “brick” issue can be resolved by replacing the EMMC chip. There are several threads about that.
Yes. Mine bricked in January. Cotran Consulting helped me out and sent a replacement Tegra board for $1000CAD . A lot cheaper than replacing or upgrading to MCU2 with Tesla service. My lcd panel still has bubbles but I don't mind. Not the biggest issue unless you enable PIN2DRIVE before the brick.

If your budget is 40k and you're in the UK, I would advise to get a model 3 instead of an S unless there is reasons to get the larger vehicle. A model S is a great, beautiful car, but the older ones are indeed older, and have their various issues.

For roughly the same cost (not to mention, very likely a much better interest rate of a new car) you can get a car that fits the smaller roads better, as all the latest tech and computers, and even has almost as much range as the P85D did when new, and undoubtedly more now. More range means you can travel on holiday easier, and don't have to charge at home as frequently if you've the inclination. Also, the interior will still be undamaged, which every 5 year old car has some wear and tear to it.

I have to respectfully disagree. I have driven both the Model S and the Model 3 for a couple of days each and they are not playing in the same league. While I agree that the Model 3 might have the better tech and the exterior size is somewhat more practical, for the rest I am not convinced:
- The Model S interior feels premium, the 3 is not much of an upgrade over my 10 year old Prius
- Inside noise level of the Model 3 is so much higher than the S, somewhat takes away the EV silence luxury
- Rear seats on Model 3 are ok but not exactly spacious, so depends if that is an area of concern for you or not
- Luggage space and especially accessibility is limited in the M3. The lack of a hatchbacks just makes it very inflexible
- The big center screen is nice but having both screens in the S give a better experience to me. Nothing against minimalistic but they somewhat overdid it on the 3
- Air suspension: not available on the 3 which is a big downside in my opinion, especially if you have to deal with bad roads
- Image: The M3 is more and more becoming the 'Golf' here in Europe, or to speak in BMW terms the 1series ;-)

Good news is: Tesla has cut the Model S new and used prices in Europe. I am myself looking for a used S right now and saw some cars drop by 10k Euros since 3 months ago (same car, same VIN!!) - sold directly by Tesla and with warranty.

I have to respectfully disagree. I have driven both the Model S and the Model 3 for a couple of days each and they are not playing in the same league. While I agree that the Model 3 might have the better tech and the exterior size is somewhat more practical, for the rest I am not convinced:
- The Model S interior feels premium, the 3 is not much of an upgrade over my 10 year old Prius
- Inside noise level of the Model 3 is so much higher than the S, somewhat takes away the EV silence luxury
- Rear seats on Model 3 are ok but not exactly spacious, so depends if that is an area of concern for you or not
- Luggage space and especially accessibility is limited in the M3. The lack of a hatchbacks just makes it very inflexible
- The big center screen is nice but having both screens in the S give a better experience to me. Nothing against minimalistic but they somewhat overdid it on the 3
- Air suspension: not available on the 3 which is a big downside in my opinion, especially if you have to deal with bad roads
- Image: The M3 is more and more becoming the 'Golf' here in Europe, or to speak in BMW terms the 1series ;-)

Good news is: Tesla has cut the Model S new and used prices in Europe. I am myself looking for a used S right now and saw some cars drop by 10k Euros since 3 months ago (same car, same VIN!!) - sold directly by Tesla and with warranty.

Oh, no, I agree. ;) I personally much prefer the model S over the 3 for those very reasons. I also very much prefer the interior of the S, and the exterior, and would sooner get a used S than a new 3. The 3's interior to me feels barren, dull, and lacking.

However, OP said he was looking for the negative aspects of a fairly old S, and tech was one of those key factors. He is also stated to live in the UK, which I've been to and see that the driving size of an S would be noticeably more difficult than the 3. Even in my dislike of the 3, I'd sooner get a 3 if I was stationed in Japan due to that sole reason. Japan is more severe than the UK, mind, but sentiment remains.

So thus my initial recommendation. The model 3, compared to an 2015 S, is noticeably better; 2015 models don't even have FSD capability. The battery degregation, and much older tech compared to a new 3 is also substantial. And, at least for America, the loan terms for a new vehicle are dramatically better than a used one. If he didn't have a reason for the S, such as stylistic, or luggage necessary, etc, then I would recommend a new 3.

The big difference in all EVs vs ICE cars is instant passing power.

You really need to drive a P series Model S on the street to appreciate the passing power. Few exotics are more potent.

0-60 times seem to be the new litmus test but they are misleading. Drag race starts are seldom necessary.

agreed. While ICE makers are going towards MORE transmission gears (9, in some cases), they basically are attempting to achieve what's done with 1 gear in a Tesla. ICE makers have complex and very expensive dual clutch systems trying to minimize shift times/shift lag and trying to have max torque avail at many places in the rev band.

Tesla has ONE gear. No delay/no shifting at all. That makes a huge difference in acceleration at any speed. Because there is zero wait for a shift. Because there IS..no shift and no rev band. Full torque is avail the second you hit the pedal.

Hmmmm.......... well that's disturbing. I think I'll give Tesla a miss then or at least until they prove to be more reliable and trustworthy.

Thank you to everyone for contributing by imparting their honesty and experiences.

Keith.

One thing to note. There is one car in the history of Consumer Reports that tested so high? Consumer Reports had to change their scoring scale..and that was then/Before numerous upgrades, improvements, etc. And then? it was 30% slower and about 20% higher in price, at time of test, than it is now.

This is the best car Consumer Reports has ever tested

Last edited:
Tesla has ONE gear. No delay/no shifting at all. That makes a huge difference in acceleration at any speed. Because there is zero wait for a shift. Because there IS..no shift and no rev band. Full torque is avail the second you hit the pedal.
To be fair that’s only beneficial when launching from a stop not at “any speed”

a rolling race the single gear is at a disadvantage