Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
o
To be fair that’s only beneficial when launching from a stop not at “any speed”

a rolling race the single gear is at a disadvantage

You sure about that?

This Model 3 needed only 1.4 seconds to leap from 30 to 50 mph and just 2.0 seconds to get from 50 to 70. Never mind other sports sedans—they're not competitive by this measure. This Tesla's mid-range acceleration tops the performance of 700-hp sports cars like the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 and Porsche 911 GT2 RS, in which there's a moment's delay while automatic transmissions downshift and engines rev up

2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance Rules the Passing Lane

Reactions: gavine
o

You sure about that?

This Model 3 needed only 1.4 seconds to leap from 30 to 50 mph and just 2.0 seconds to get from 50 to 70. Never mind other sports sedans—they're not competitive by this measure. This Tesla's mid-range acceleration tops the performance of 700-hp sports cars like the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 and Porsche 911 GT2 RS, in which there's a moment's delay while automatic transmissions downshift and engines rev up

2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance Rules the Passing Lane
Yes I’m sure about that, its a simple fact that the model s performance drops off at higher speeds because of the single gear set up.

so your statement about the single gear being an advantage at any speed is incorrect. My M5 would leave the performance model s in the dust from a rolling start at I’m guessing 80+ mph. You’re also forgetting the fact that in a rolling race I would already have the car in the proper gear. Because only an idiot would race while still in AUTO.

Ahh..so the rolling race STARTS at 80mph. (which is illegal on almost ANY road in the USA, so I guess that would mean we are talking on the track? Where less than 1% of the car buying population ever goes...but OK).

OK. So that race STARTS at 80mph. Ok. That's..realistic. We'll go with that. LOL.

I mean...even on youtube I see racing starting at 20mph...slowing down to maybe 40mph on the interstate (Drag Times videos)..but now we have to START at 80MPH...to give ICE a chance.

We literally have to START at a speed where some states consider the speed to be a felony reckless driving charge...to give ICE a possible chance. START at that speed.

:D:D:D

Last edited:
Reactions: gavine and SO16
As opposed to the 0-60 races which are what perfectly legal? LOL!

I don’t know about you but since I drive my Tesla on the street almost all the time, I like to have the best performance at the speeds applicable to the street. If I only cared about on the track, then I’d want the best speeds applicable to the track. Pretty simple concept to me. Perhaps I’m missing something.

Would I like something that is the best for both? Yes of course I’d like the new Tesla Roadster.

Reactions: gavine and 2101Guy
I don’t know about you but since I drive my Tesla on the street almost all the time, I like to have the best performance at the speeds applicable to the street. If I only cared about on the track, then I’d want the best speeds applicable to the track. Pretty simple concept to me. Perhaps I’m missing something.

Would I like something that is the best for both? Yes of course I’d like the new Tesla Roadster.
I understand, but that’s not the point im trying to get across. He said a single gear is advantageous at all speeds. And it’s clearly not. I was pointing that fact out. Not saying one is better than the other.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
The Taycan Turbo S? With its two gear setup? And other tech? It's setup almost PERFECTLY for the racetrack. Repeated high speed runs, it's ability to catch up with and pass the P100D at 120mph and beyond. Awesome. Great.

But Does me NO good. Like, NONE.

But the 15:46 mark to about 16:02 Thats typically what is more realistic on the street, in my experiences.

The Taycan Turbo S? With its two gear setup? And other tech? It's setup almost PERFECTLY for the racetrack. Repeated high speed runs, it's ability to catch up with and pass the P100D at 120mph and beyond. Awesome. Great.

But Does me NO good. Like, NONE.

But the 15:46 mark to about 16:02 Thats typically what is more realistic on the street, in my experiences.

I don’t understand why you’re having such a hard time understanding. This isn’t about what you prefer or what you like. This is about the fact that a single gear is not the best at all speeds.

Back to "Should I buy a Tesla"
I have a 2016 S P100D, bought with 12k miles, now at 38k
It has never needed any repairs, has been to the service center once for an alignment.
Love the car
Would never recommend because:
1) Service will not answer the phone
2) Tesla reduces sell price causing loss of value

I would DEFINITELY recommend the vehicle. Extremely fun to drive.

1. Yes the phone option is lost. But can use app. Not ideal but not awful in my experience. I have literally had to use it one time in 3.5 years and 47k miles. I can live with enjoying the vehicle 99.9% of the time and dealing with lack of no phone vs another vehicle that may have better phone support but boring as hell to drive and be disgruntled 99.9% of the time.

2. I don’t know of very many cars that do go up in value. Other cars drop in value quite extensively and I would still have to pay top dollar for the next version for few upgrades. A lower priced car with better options (albeit no pano roof) is great for next time. I’d rather get “screwed” on one end instead of on both ends.

But that’s me.

The last thing you need is the manufacturer to add to the "drop in value quite extensively", This is something I expect on an IPhone, but have never seen a car manufacturer drop a price by 30+% and last week added another 5+%. Lesson learned, I'll have to keep the car long enough to overcome. Not a hardship, but not my choice.

I would have been very appreciative if someone had warned me of the possibility before I bought

Reactions: InternetDude
The last thing you need is the manufacturer to add to the "drop in value quite extensively", This is something I expect on an IPhone, but have never seen a car manufacturer drop a price by 30+% and last week added another 5+%. Lesson learned, I'll have to keep the car long enough to overcome. Not a hardship, but not my choice.

I would have been very appreciative if someone had warned me of the possibility before I bought

Did you buy new?

BMW, luxury models top bargain list of high depreciating used cars after 3 years

They're a pretty crappy company, but what are you going to do? Having an electric car has so many advantages, though not all are exclusive to Tesla:

1. Remote heat/cool
2. No need to stop at a gas station during regular commuting/errands
3. Instant torque
4. Incredible acceleration

Tesla does have the highest performance, the best charging network, and the longest range, even after having their performance, charging, and batteries nerfed. Sure, it's a crappy thing for them to do, and many people are justifiably annoyed, but there still isn't any reasonable competition in this price bracket. The Taycan Turbo S is an incredible car, but I don't have the pockets to cross-shop it.

Many people do not have atrociously unreliable cars. The car does have some expensive faults as do basically all cars approaching (or exceeding) a 6 figure pricetag.

As others have mentioned, a 3 is a very good value if it meets your needs, but I would drive both to ensure you are making the right decision.