Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Buy a Used 2013-2014 Tesla Model S?

Mar 25, 2013
Key West, FL
Tesla over MB every day of the week by a long shot. That's a poor comparison because European luxury cars don't last long at all anymore. They're money pits! Far less can go wrong with a Tesla and Tesla's have proven to be able to last much longer than any European vehicle with fewer problems, although it is a small sample size right now. There were a lot of naysayers when the first Prius came out and they've all been proven wrong about battery life. As a matter of fact the Prius is one of the most reliable cars on the road today and EV's will prove to be even more reliable. Refurbished Prius batteries have a very good track record for reliability. Sure the occasional one doesn't hold up but most do.

You're going to judge Gruber's work based on one person's experience? Or do you pull that out as an example to try and prove a weak argument against an out of warranty Tesla?

I warn people all the time about the cost of ownership of any European vehicle but I jumped at the chance to purchase a 150k mile Tesla.
There's a huge difference between Toyota and Tesla regarding quality control. Not even close.

Huachipato

Jul 16, 2019
Murphy, TX
Cheapest I've seen in these here forums was $12K for a 75KW battery:

I'd be interested in the cost of an 90KW battery that Gubber seems to imply Tesla will "Upgrade" anyone with a 40 thru 85 KW Battery. Inside EVs says it's $14K battery and (oddly) $2k Install.

I think it's also worth noting in the ICE vs. Electric motor swaps how quickly an electric motor can be replaced compared to an ICE engine. I have a distant family member that needed an engine replacement in an Audi and the cost was about $10K and 3 months when it was all said and done.

Jaydin

Great car!
Jun 22, 2021
London, Ontario
That’s been the plan to find a Model 3 around that price mark. It is seeming impossible however, haha. I do agree with the electronics and them slowing down I hadn’t thought much about that.
I recently bought model s 2014 model and quite happy with it. Don't think too much as you won't find any new teslas with the price range your budget in and model s is much satisfying car than model 3.

Jaydin

Great car!
Jun 22, 2021
London, Ontario
You definitely do not want a 2013 or a 2014, not because the technology is old but rather the warranty on the most expensive part of the vehicle is coming to an end.

I know many do not like to hear this but at this time these vehicles really are throwaways after the warranty period.
Let’s say you buy a used 2013 for 30k, in a year the battery fails, you’re now stuck with a 20k+ bill to repair your expensive paperweight.
It wouldn’t be this way if the battery didn’t cost so much but it does.
Paying double the price to barely afford to enjoy model 3 is also not pleasant. I would say go with your budget and enjoy the car. Most tesals won't have any issues and battery life will outlast the body. Who knows in couple years Tesla battery prices and 3rd party battery upgrade options will be lower than ever.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC