TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Should I buy an electric car? Article ...

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by sp4rk, Apr 27, 2012.

1. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

2. daniel

daniel Active Member

I wonder if their analysis takes into account the electricity used in the refining of gasoline. The article does not mention (as far as I saw) the option to buy clean electricity in many areas with otherwise dirty electricity. Or the possibility of installing PVs, which is economically advantageous in some areas, if not everywhere. To his credit, the author recommends "considering" an EV regardless of where you live.

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I have not read the full document but there are some red flags going up looking at some of the charts.

Somehow a Chevy Volt at 37mpg on pure gasoline is worse than a 34mpg Kia in 11 states. And worse than a 37mpg Scion iQ in 18 states. I know this is based on their calculations this is probably due to 99mpge electricity in those 18 states being worse than 34mpg gasoline. Which I find very hard to believe.

Somehow a 50mpg (diesel) Ford Ka emits the same amount of CO2 as a 50mpg Gasoline Prius. I am pretty sure diesel emits a much larger amount of CO2 per gallon consumed considering it is 12% more dense.

And I am not understanding their pounds of CO2 equivalent number. What are they equating to CO2?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Another "make your decision on this single factor" article. There are so many other good reasons to buy an EV than carbon footprint, he seems to ignore those completely. Just crazy.

5. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Perfect! As Daniel mentions, the article does not mention electricity used in refining gasoline, which most likely is not "clean" electricity. Nor does it mention pollution, oil wars, high gas prices and market speculation, which has some impact on those prices. This argument will be moot when coal is replaced with clean sources such as solar & wind. Fusion would be cool too!!