Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy an inventory 2017 MS P100DL (vs a 2018 w/new MCU)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tmarcc

"Everyone has a right to a wrong opinion."
Jul 25, 2016
Los Angeles
I've been looking diligently for a inventory new-MCU 2018 2018 MS P100DL. However, my owner advisor found me a fully-loaded inventory 2017 MS P100DL with a $32k adjustment (8900 miles driven already), bringing the total price down to $116,500 before fed/state tax credits. That's actually in-line with used 2017 P100DLs I've seen, and similar to the used values in Kelley Blue Book for a car with similar miles. I placed a deposit because it seemed a really good deal, even though it had the old MCU.

I'm supposed to be picking up the car tomorrow but now I'm having second thoughts. Getting an inventory 2018 with the new MCU and higher miles driven would cost $7k - 10k more (more likely 10k) for cars with nicer adjustments.

I plan on keeping the car 7-8 years. Considering that I'm keeping the car for 7-8 years, am I better off paying up to $10k more for a 2018 to have the new MCU? I feel like I may regret not having the new MCU if I keep the car so long. What if only certain v9+ feature end-up only being available on the new MCU? On the other hand, that's an awful lot of money to have a snapper MCU - and it's not like folks interact with the MCU a whole lot.

I'm pulling my hair out on this one. I know Tesla comes out with updates almost weekly, and the car is still just as good now as it will be next year. However, cars with the new MCU are already available for purchase, and I haven't purchased a car yet.

Could folks provide their thoughts? Should I go forward with the delivery tomorrow of the inventory 2017 car and feel happy with the great 32k adjustment, or pay $7k - 10k more for a 2018 inventory car with the more "future proof" MCU?

Yes it is ..if u were factoring the CA rebate which isn’t available on the 2017 due to miles it’s axtually less than 7k diff ...get the 2018

The 7500 mile limit to qualify for the California rebate is a good point, but it actually isn't a factor in the particular situation, since I don't qualify for the state rebate due to income limitations (I should have clarified that earlier).

So the question is whether it's worth paying an extra $7-10k for a 2018 car with the new MCU vs. a 2017 car with the old MCU. :-/ . I have less than a day to decide.

Yes indeed - that's the quandary. The difference in price would be $7-10K for a 2018 car with the new MCU vs the 2017 car. Is it worth it?

Do you know when the 2017 was manufactured (what month)? That will be key in deciding.

If you plan on keeping the car for the next 8 years, might as well go for the 2018 and get the newest version. If you were going to keep the car for a couple of years, get the 2017. Don’t forget with the 2018 you also get the ventilated seats.

The 7500 mile limit to qualify for the California rebate is a good point, but it actually isn't a factor in the particular situation, since I don't qualify for the state rebate due to income limitations (I should have clarified that earlier).

So the question is whether it's worth paying an extra $7-10k for a 2018 car with the new MCU vs. a 2017 car with the old MCU. :-/ . I have less than a day to decide.

Not worth 10k than ;)

I am in the same situation. I just bought a P100DL manufactured in may 2018 with 3006 miles. Fully loaded without FSD. I received 15.5k off and it definetly has the new MCU and ventilated seats. The steaper discounts are seen in the older cars i.e. older mcu....and usually with more miles. I also like to feel like I am getting a good deal as well. However, this will be the most expensive car I have ever purchased so I opted to get the very best car available with no compromises. Get the car with the newer ecu and ventilated seats. What is ten thousands when are spending this kind of money.

Reactions: P85_DA
Thanks everyone for your feedback. It looks like folks are somewhat split on this, with good points on both sides. After carefully - and painfully - balancing the equities, I think I'm going to try to go for a newer car with a new MCU - and ideally ventilated seats if possible - if I can find one with a good adjustment, in light of the fact that I plan to keep the car 7-8 years.

The new MCU is nowhere near worth $32,000.

Except pricing for the P100D has come down since then and you can still look for a 2018 P100D with about 15-20K in discounts making the price delta not as great. I would wait until the end of the quarter and I bet the OP will find a 2018 P100D with the new MCU and with a price close to the 2017 vehicle.

Also when selling the car, it is advantageous for the car to be newer to benefit from all the incremetal changes since the 2017 P100D.

That 2017 P100D was likely driven hard like it was stolen. I would not buy that car. $30K inventory discounts for the highest end Tesla models is nothing new. They are available for the 2017 P100D and soon similar discounts will be available for the 2018 P100Ds.

The other option is I agree absolutely with @jaguar36 , just lease that 2017 car as that price adjustment would reduce your lease capital sum by a good 40%!

• Informative
Thanks everyone for your feedback. It looks like folks are somewhat split on this, with good points on both sides. After carefully - and painfully - balancing the equities, I think I'm going to try to go for a newer car with a new MCU - and ideally ventilated seats if possible - if I can find one with a good adjustment, in light of the fact that I plan to keep the car 7-8 years.

Totally agree with your decision and I think you will appreciate this decision even more when pick up your new car. That 2017 was likely driven hard by probably hundreds of people. Now you get a pristine car that you can love from day one.