Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy FSD before Nov 11, 2019, price hike? [Update: OP did not buy FSD]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey yall
Just wanted an opinion of the crowd if I should get this FSD. I would be taking a loan out for it bc I don't have the money to buy it outright, so I'm not too sure if thats worth it. I'm only 20 and in my final year of school, so 6k is a lot of money for me. Let me know what you guys think, the loan is like 11% APR for 3 years 6700$ rn.
I would advise against doing that. Just be happy you own one of the best cars on the market.

OP given the circumstances you laid out, like everyone else I would say "No" (actually, a very "hard" NO) given your circumstances. "Worth it" is always relative, but I think most would agree that, even they think the product is "worth it", its certainly not "worth it" enough to take out a loan at 11% interest to get.

Being "20 and in the final year of school" sounds like "final year of college" to me. If so, that would mean that you are getting through college pretty darn fast, but likely dont have a set full time job yet. Dont take out loans for things that are not needed, and most would tell you that no one "needs" the features of autopilot of FSD on these cars as transportation.

You are about to have a bunch of bills once you get out of school (housing, etc). You want to minimize your "elective" expenses till you figure all that out.

As great as FSD is, I would also recommend at your age and with having to take out an extra loan for it, then no. Enjoy the great car you are getting and work hard towards getting it at a future time when you can better afford it. It'll be even better then.

Reactions: 4rjun
Your other option if you have an American Express card is to use that to make the purchase then put it into PlanIt and pay it over time for a much smaller amount than an 11% loan or even the standard interest of the credit card. Plus you also get your cash back from AMEX for the purchase which you can put toward your bill. Yes, still a loan of sorts but cheaper than 11% for sure.

I agree with McMoo. FSD is not important, and unless you have spare cash lying around, do not spend on that. Realistic usable software is much further away.

Disclaimer: I did buy when it went on sale this year for EAP users( for $2k). But again I don't pay with loans for these kind of things.

@4rjun - No. If you had spare money, sure your money. But since you do not have spare money and this is something that you want/like, not at your best interest.

@chinnam3 - I did not buy it at 2k, but when EAP to FSD became 3k, i "invested" my money. The rest went into Tesla stock. I agree with you on this subject matter for the OP. It is like i hear on the radio, rent/lease rims that people cant afford... some items do not make financial sense.

If you could afford to pay for it out of pocket then I would recommend it, however, if you have to take out a loan then I would NOT recommend it, especially at your age when you're still in college, you should save your money for more important things and come back to it when you're more financially stable. Sure it may cost more, but if you do it now it may just end up being a burden.

Reactions: Nocturnal and 4rjun
I would also vote "No". I also bought the FSD in March for $2K and I haven't been using NOAA or smart summon....

Same.... it's a sham at this point. I use lane control but neither of the 2 features listed above either. Definitely not worth getting in debt over. If it eventually works as advertised.... It's worth much much more than anyone of us thinks

Just wanted an opinion of the crowd if I should get this FSD. I would be taking a loan out for it bc I don't have the money to buy it outright, so I'm not too sure if thats worth it. I'm only 20 and in my final year of school, so 6k is a lot of money for me. Let me know what you guys think, the loan is like 11% APR for 3 years 6700$ rn.

FSD - hell no.
Enhanced FSD - definitely maybe!