Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy HW3 now or wait for hw4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Magic 8 ball says:
IMG_0678.PNG

No matter what you buy today, it is going to be outdated tomorrow. As long as the rest of the hardware still supports it, I am sure Tesla will have a path to upgrades (may be another cost for HW4 when that day comes). HW3 design was locked in August 2017, so you can see it is already 20 months old and by the time HW4 comes out it will be 4-5 years old. Just part of technology, expect upgrades every 3-5 years on quickly evolving technology.

Reactions: DanCar
The version of the autopilot computer. ...
It is more than that. Current Tesla cameras are low res. Will Tesla upgrade to higher res cameras to make viewing hand gestures and partially occluded objects easier? There is also technology for making depth perception easier called PDAF.
Google AI Blog: Learning to Predict Depth on the Pixel 3 Phones
Will some of Tesla cameras upgrade to that? When will vehicle to vehicle communication be common?

Going to sound stupid... picking mine up Wednesday what is HW3-5

Tesla has been gradually refining the instrumentation and computers in the car to increase its autonomous capabilities.

AP1 or HW1 was the original September 2014 package in partnership with Mobileye with a single front camera linked to a single radar and ultrasonic sensors to deliver the original Autopilot.

AP2 was the October 2016 introduction of an all Tesla solution with eight cameras and more capable ultrasound and an NVidia processor with ~40x the capacity.

AP2.5 was the quiet update in August 2017? with different cameras and radar and a new more powerful, water cooled computer.

AP3 is what they just started shipping, with a Tesla designed neural network optimized CPU and total redundancy for self driving. I haven't heard of any sensor changes to match the new CPU, but there might be.

The others are speculation. Tesla won't really know exactly what they need to solve the problem until after the problem is solved, and for something as complicated as full self driving, they might be finding edge cases the better hardware would help with for a long time after the basic problem is solved.

So it wouldn't be surprised if Tesla introduces new hardware shortly after they get FSD actually working correctly - hardware they didn't realize that they would want until then.

It is more than that. Current Tesla cameras are low res. Will Tesla upgrade to higher res cameras to make viewing hand gestures and partially occluded objects easier? There is also technology for making depth perception easier called PDAF.
Google AI Blog: Learning to Predict Depth on the Pixel 3 Phones
Will some of Tesla cameras upgrade to that? When will vehicle to vehicle communication be common?
You did see the presentation on Tesla's own depth perception using current sensors right?

I do find it interesting that MobileEye were really fighting Tesla even when the two were working together at the time.